Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #301
WESamiss
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
WESamiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
@WES...which PTFE lines did you use (manufacturer and model)? Not sure if most people know that there is different PTFE compounds out there. Some are not compatible with pump gas such as 93 Oct.

If memory serves me correct (again, read but do some homework before just relying on any info I give here) from a few Petrochemical Chemistry courses I have taken (test conducted on 100 and 130 Oct @ 100 degrees C):

Virgin PTFE: Compatible
Graphite Fiber or Reinforced PTFE: Compatible
Glass Filled/Infused PTFE: Compatible
Molydisulfide Filled PTFE: Compatible
FDA Grade PTFE: Questionable
The hose I use is either Stratoflex or Areoquip. If that helps. haha
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #302
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Just checked with DuPont about the compatibility of PTFE with Gasoline and I was able to speak with a tech and was informed that Gasoline should have "Minor to Moderate Effect, 5 to 10% Volume Swell" when in contact with PTFE. This would mean that it would have minimal effects on the material and would not explain why the PTFE above was degrading. There must be something else going on with that experiment. It could be due to impurities in the PTFE material especially the "cheaper PTFE" (Not saying lines are cheap saying the company may have used a bad or cheap batch of PTFE material). Could be other factors...
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #303
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
what are you guys using for filters?..... would this work fine?

Russell ProFilter Fuel Filters 649160 - SummitRacing.com

i guess my real question is, are nylon elements ok with E85? and how many micron's is recomended to use with E85?
Drift_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #304
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
S@nt0s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_FX View Post
what are you guys using for filters?..... would this work fine?

Russell ProFilter Fuel Filters 649160 - SummitRacing.com

i guess my real question is, are nylon elements ok with E85? and how many micron's is recomended to use with E85?
on my Evo i ran the stock filter, on my S13 i ran this
Russell Competition Fuel Filters 650100 - SummitRacing.com
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #305
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

@DRIFT_FX.....go with a Stainless Steel Mesh/Screen filter (like S@nt0s is using). I have a 40 Micron Pre-Filter and 10 Mircon Post-Filter.....but then again thats because I am a little neurotic.

Nylon material will breakdown in the presence of Strong Acid.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #306
S@nt0s
Zilvia Addict

S@nt0s is an unknown quantity at this point
i only had 1 pre rail and none post
Old 02-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #307
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked240 View Post
Is there an E85 pump close by? if you have to drive 20+ miles for fuel, it's a waste. Expect your Mpg to go down quite a bit. I only drive mine 6 months out of the year and have a pump in town with E85, E30 and E15.

Car get's tuned on Jan 10th! Will post my dyno result's, Shooting for .5-.7bar. Then new turbo and tune in march and going to push 450hp!
Would wait till march to have it tuned but I figured if I don't happen to get the turbo due to money, I can drive my car and have some fun with it. If I get the turbo I'll just throw it on quick and give it a test run at stock boost and if it's good to go I'll just drive the 6 hours to have it retuned.

Had my car dyno tuned this weekend. 270hp and 213tq. 10lbs of boost and 11ish for Afr. Tuned without wideband since my wiring is messed on it. Not even at 50% duty cycle. Only thing holding me back is my turbo.

I"m assuming this was on E85 correct? or was this on 91?

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #308
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
Yeah it was E85.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #309
afracer

afracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Using strictly teflon line hose with E85 is a myth. You can use rubber fuel hose, most of it nowadays is E85 compatible, just have to check the ratings on the hose. I use Gates Barricade EFI hose, which is E85 compatible and not nearly as much of a pain or as expensive as going with teflon stainless AN hose and fittings. Available at pretty much any Oreilly's. Also, be sure you use the proper ethanol compatible submersible fuel hose in the gas tank feeding your pumps, I used Gates 27097 for mine (went with 3/8" fuel lines). Save yourself a butt load of money and stick with barbed fittings/clamps/rubber hose. 3/8" is plenty big for E85 and 600 hp, and you can use a clamp on 3/8 EFI fuel filter with stainless filter media for a 2005 GMC Savanna. Not including the pump/regulator, I think I spent maybe $50 building my E85 compatible 3/8" fuel system.
afracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #310
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

^Some of the Gates Barricade hoses are lined internally with a Fluoroelastomer or Nitrile which would make them compatible with E85. As AF mentioned just make sure you are getting a hose with either internal lining. Gates makes some awesome hoses.

Last edited by 2muchboost; 03-06-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #311
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Is anyone running Methanol Injection with E85?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #312
1slowM6
Leaky Injector

1slowM6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sr20det, s15 t28 on 15-18 lbs...what size injectors and pump do I need to run e85
1slowM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #313
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
You can do 740's and be fine, but you won't have a ton of headroom.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #314
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
To bring this thread back, what compression ratios have people been running with E85?

With my current SR20 build, I am shooting for 500 bhp (rough number to keep up with a few locals). Tuning will be done through a AEM EMS Series 2, and running ID1000 at 4 bars. I was originally going to go with some CP pistons at 9:1 CR, but I know people can run higher compression with E85. Is it worth hunting for some 9.5:1 or stay safe with the 9:1?
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #315
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ 21o3 View Post
To bring this thread back, what compression ratios have people been running with E85?

With my current SR20 build, I am shooting for 500 bhp (rough number to keep up with a few locals). Tuning will be done through a AEM EMS Series 2, and running ID1000 at 4 bars. I was originally going to go with some CP pistons at 9:1 CR, but I know people can run higher compression with E85. Is it worth hunting for some 9.5:1 or stay safe with the 9:1?
It is possible to run a higher compression ration on e85, the main difference would be making the same power at a lower Turbo pressure. I havent experimented myself this is going off of memory from my own research, but it should help the turbo spool a little sooner tooIIRC.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #316
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateirving View Post
It is possible to run a higher compression ration on e85, the main difference would be making the same power at a lower Turbo pressure. I havent experimented myself this is going off of memory from my own research, but it should help the turbo spool a little sooner tooIIRC.
My original plan was 9:1 on 93 pump for the slight decrease in spool time and getting a little more power out of less boost. Now I decided i might as well go to E85 and was unsure if I should continue with only 9:1 or go a little more aggressive. I admit I haven't started dissecting every E85 SR20 build thread yet, as I was hoping for a little more conversation for all.
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #317
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Why swicth over to special inline filter?

Enlighten me please.
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #318
tristan89
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
tristan89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What timing, air fuel ratio and fuel pressure should I run on a stock blacktop with a gt2871r, 850cc injectors
tristan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #319
tristan89
Leaky Injector

What should idle speed and fuel pressure be for an sr running E85?
Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #320
tristan89
Leaky Injector

I have a sr, it had a gt28, stock injectors, stock fuel pressure regulator, stock turbine outlet pipe, stock tune, I blew the turbo up back from buying it, I replaced it with a gt2871r, 850cc injectors, z32 MAF, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Tomei turbine outlet, and e85, I got the car tuned for all of this by RS enthalpy for e85 and I feel that it doesn't pull as hard as it used to and just feels slow, when I start out from first it will bog out if I don't give it enough gas, have to give it more than what feels is right, also my friends will drive behind me and ask if I got a fuel leak because it smells like gas strong. Is that just e85 or is it running rich? I feel like it might be but I don't have a AFR gauge, also why does it feel slower? I got it tuned and I run e85, shouldn't that make it gain power and performance?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #321
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan89 View Post
I have a sr, it had a gt28, stock injectors, stock fuel pressure regulator, stock turbine outlet pipe, stock tune, I blew the turbo up back from buying it, I replaced it with a gt2871r, 850cc injectors, z32 MAF, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Tomei turbine outlet, and e85, I got the car tuned for all of this by RS enthalpy for e85 and I feel that it doesn't pull as hard as it used to and just feels slow, when I start out from first it will bog out if I don't give it enough gas, have to give it more than what feels is right, also my friends will drive behind me and ask if I got a fuel leak because it smells like gas strong. Is that just e85 or is it running rich? I feel like it might be but I don't have a AFR gauge, also why does it feel slower? I got it tuned and I run e85, shouldn't that make it gain power and performance?
Need a wideband to see what your afr's are at. cuz a proper e85 tune should yield more power at the same boost levels.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #322
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan89 View Post
Contact your tuner if you're not happy with your tune!
E85 does not smell like gas, to me!
All 5 e85 tunes I've done, have made more power than the 93pump tunes they were currently on.
If it starts and idles, you at least have a partial tune for e85.
Wideband and logs!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #323
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
All my friends tell me "hey, bruh E85 kills fuel pumps and fuel injectors. You are so stupid you idiot. E85 is not cool, it's just hype."

Does E85 really do that sort of stuff or do my friends just hate my guts?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #324
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
All my friends tell me "hey, bruh E85 kills fuel pumps and fuel injectors. You are so stupid you idiot. E85 is not cool, it's just hype."

Your friends sound really uneducated. Do your own research.
If you use the proper injectors and fuel pump for your goals then you will be rewarded wit more power
Old 11-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #325
tristan89
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
Contact your tuner if you're not happy with your tune!
E85 does not smell like gas, to me!
All 5 e85 tunes I've done, have made more power than the 93pump tunes they were currently on.
If it starts and idles, you at least have a partial tune for e85.
Wideband and logs!
Sorry didn't mean to say gas, my friends say it smells like alcohol strong, I used the wrong word.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #326
tristan89
Leaky Injector

Should I do a dyno fun first and see my AFR before contacting my tuner so I know what it's reading? Or should I just talk to him first?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #327
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
E85 comes from Alex Rodriguez's bladder.
It kills your libido.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #328
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
All my friends tell me "hey, bruh E85 kills fuel pumps and fuel injectors."
Think about what you are asking. What is E85? What is gasoline? What is water?

You can think of these as different solvents. Water has its own properties; gasoline has different properties.

If the properties of the solvent are such that, it will interact with whatever it's electron cloud can establish any kind of change. And that can be said for all matter, which is why it is silly to ask. Its kind of like being told that breathing might mutate the dna in my cells. Inside the cells are mechanisms, enzymes and proteins, that prevent oxygen from causing so much trouble. But not always to the same degree in every cell, from person to person. So the real question is, does my fuel system (cell) have the right equipment (enzymes/proteins) to protect itself from the solvent interactions (oxygen). Not every cell has all the right equipment. Some cells have some of the equipment. etc...

extra points for the irony behind my example with respect to the electron donor / acceptor.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #329
Jybfan04
Zilvia Member

Jybfan04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Because GM, Ford, and other manufacturers would build cars that can use E85 just to destroy them!

Jybfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #330
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
E85 comes from Alex Rodriguez's bladder.
It kills your libido.
Lmao, OP might just believe it.
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote