Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #3151
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
But how he has it mounted I would fear it being torn from the the thin sheet metal of the car
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #3152
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
couldn't fit the intercooler I wanted as a mid mount so I hacked out the factory upper rad support, and have started to make this, IT ISN'T DONE YET so don't judge it on it's current state. It will get a little bracing before I make the headlight brackets. I'll post up more pics when I finish it. The finish product will be able to unbolted from the car to make working in the engine bay for extended periods of time more comfortable (i.e. head gasket replacement)

^radiator and intercooler gap will be fixed after fab is finished. Had to move the radiator back a bit, so it's not in securely in that pic.

onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #3153
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks good so far Fakeshemp44!!!

2 questions I have tho......

1. Im looking for a Mig welder with flux core, but my budget is like 300 iv found a few, specs around 110 amps and such, is this okay to do DYI projects like you guys do?

2. I built a roll cage already, for the gussets and floor supports, what size metal would be best, my cage is DOM .120
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #3154
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrfiter22 View Post
Looks good so far Fakeshemp44!!!

2 questions I have tho......

1. Im looking for a Mig welder with flux core, but my budget is like 300 iv found a few, specs around 110 amps and such, is this okay to do DYI projects like you guys do?

2. I built a roll cage already, for the gussets and floor supports, what size metal would be best, my cage is DOM .120
1. I would recommend a Lincoln 3200hd , that's what I got, u can use it with or without gas. I weld pretty much everything I highly recommend it. I got mine from homedepot, I'm sure u can find those use, in your price range new they Cost a bit under 500.

2. Min. 1/8 inch thick.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #3155
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
In a 110 application flux core welders don't really shine. If you want to get into projects like the ones showcased in this thread you will need to get into a welder with gas shielding. I really don't recommend welding roll cages with a 110v welder and flux core.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #3156
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
I'm not gonna claim to be the best at welding, nor am I going to pretend to know what to recommend. I know how to use what I have avilable, which is a Ingersol Rand (*I THINK*).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
If you want to get into projects like the ones showcased in this thread you will need to get into a welder with gas shielding. I really don't recommend welding roll cages with a 110v welder and flux core.
^THIS!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #3157
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
In a 110 application flux core welders don't really shine. If you want to get into projects like the ones showcased in this thread you will need to get into a welder with gas shielding. I really don't recommend welding roll cages with a 110v welder and flux core.
The flux core isn't the issue here...
It's the 110v power source...
For anything that's non-critical or non-structural. 110v would suffice..
110v works great on sheet metal. And unless you happen to have a set of torches with you. I don't recommend 110v for anything other than sheet metal welding.
If you have torches. You may be able to get away with minor structural stuff...

As for roll cages. All I have to say is leave those things to the professionals... It's a safety device, and an important one at that.
If you can't weld worth shit or fabricate your way out of a wet paper bag. Stay away from cages. You could seriously injure yourself. Or worse...

That comment isn't directed at any person in particular.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #3158
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
I am not knocking flux-core per say. You must admit that a novice will have more issues with flux-core vrs gas shielding...ie incomplete fusion, or slag inclusion.
I fully agree about the leaving the safety equipment to the professionals. Again not trying to single out anyone. Very frequently new fabricators start asking about building stuff out of their ability. Safety equipment is stuff that even I try not to do. I have been welding longer than I haven't. Not that I don't think that it will be built well enough, but I would feel terrible if somthing happened even if it was not due to the parts I built.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #3159
Nezahualcoyotl
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
hey folks I have a question.
I am playing with the idea of making a set of sub frame risers. what would be the dimensions and what kind of material should I use?
Nezahualcoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #3160
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

^ If you have to ask, you might already be barking up the the wrong tree, and I highly doubt that if anyone has invested their own time looking into this that they would just casually pass that info along.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #3161
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

^
relax. EveryOne learns through questioning, just because he ask doesn't mean he don't know what he's doing. People do pass on information, that's how some people get credibility
Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #3162
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Several ways you could take on the subframe risers. If you are looking to do them for yourself I would weld up a washer to the subframe or the insert. If you have access to a lathe then you could do some inserts from 6061 aluminum. Sorry I do not have any dimensions for you. You would need to measure them and them figure in your interference fit.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 12-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #3163
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
hey Neza look up Blu808 build thread on his S14, he made his own. Or PM him great guy and answers questions
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #3164
Nezahualcoyotl
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-knownNezahualcoyotl is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Yeah noob question but I do have all the sources and means of doing the fabrication. Thanks for all the info and support.
Nezahualcoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #3165
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Hey guys, i've been reading this thread a lot and i was wondering if you could suggest a beginner(cheap) welder to practice with. I can get lots of supplies from my dad's shop like metal. I don't really want to do anything serious/big. Maybe like some tubes into my i/c pipe to recirculate my bov.

So would a 115v (arc?) welder be decent enough for such. Maybe weld an overflow tank or some an fittings?
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #3166
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxball88 View Post
Hey guys, i've been reading this thread a lot and i was wondering if you could suggest a beginner(cheap) welder to practice with. I can get lots of supplies from my dad's shop like metal. I don't really want to do anything serious/big. Maybe like some tubes into my i/c pipe to recirculate my bov.

So would a 115v (arc?) welder be decent enough for such. Maybe weld an overflow tank or some an fittings?
Short answer on the 115v arc...no. Most of the projects that you are talking about will require an AC/DC tig machine. Entry level on a machine like that is 2K.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 12-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #3167
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Short answer on the 115v arc...no. Most of the projects that you are talking about will require an AC/DC tig machine. Entry level on a machine like that is 2K.
Normally I'd disagree with the first part of that statement. But, in this particular situation. I have to agree and say no as well..

However, the second half.
You have EASILY get a TIG welder capable of AC/DC welding for $500-ish... EASILY. My TIG (capable of 310 amps) ran me $400... With everything I needed minus a bottle of argon.. Granted, it's a transformer type and requires my engine crane to move it... But, it's old as fuck and stupid reliable.
It's a Hobart HF250 I believe??? Don't quote me on that though :P

Yeah yeah.... What welder doesn't know what kind of welder he owns...
Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #3168
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Hmm, well thanks guys. I think my dad might have mentioned they have a mig at his shop. Now whether i can use it i don't know. But would that be able to accomplish the things i want? From what i've gathered it can?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #3169
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
Normally I'd disagree with the first part of that statement. But, in this particular situation. I have to agree and say no as well..

However, the second half.
You have EASILY get a TIG welder capable of AC/DC welding for $500-ish... EASILY. My TIG (capable of 310 amps) ran me $400... With everything I needed minus a bottle of argon.. Granted, it's a transformer type and requires my engine crane to move it... But, it's old as fuck and stupid reliable.
It's a Hobart HF250 I believe??? Don't quote me on that though :P

Yeah yeah.... What welder doesn't know what kind of welder he owns...
Sorry I was thinking new equipment...lol. Old transformers are the best! They were built with pride, and really have copper windings vrs aluminum. I paid almost $300 for my argon bottle, so you got a hell of a deal.

Quote:
Hmm, well thanks guys. I think my dad might have mentioned they have a mig at his shop. Now whether i can use it i don't know. But would that be able to accomplish the things i want? From what i've gathered it can?
Ok if you have access to a mig and you want to do your projects out of steel or aluminum thicker than 1/8" then yes the mig will work. Now before someone tells me that it is possible to mig with a spool gun thinner than 1/8 yes it is possible, but it requires a great deal of skill.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #3170
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Sorry I was thinking new equipment...lol. Old transformers are the best! They were built with pride, and really have copper windings vrs aluminum. I paid almost $300 for my argon bottle, so you got a hell of a deal.

Ok if you have access to a mig and you want to do your projects out of steel or aluminum thicker than 1/8" then yes the mig will work. Now before someone tells me that it is possible to mig with a spool gun thinner than 1/8 yes it is possible, but it requires a great deal of skill.
Alright sweet, thanks a lot. But ideally a tig welder would be best. (After practicing a alot and becoming somewhat proficient of course.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #3171
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Quote:
Alright sweet, thanks a lot. But ideally a tig welder would be best. (After practicing a alot and becoming somewhat proficient of course.
Yes a tig is the most versatile form of welding. There is no reason that you could not learn to tig weld from the start. You might look into a welding class in your area, that way you do not need to buy equipment. If you are serious about welding buy a nice welding hood. I recommend an auto shade. Being able to see is pretty key in welding. It is very important when you are starting.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #3172
atutt
Zilvia Addict

The BEST thing you can do if you want to learn TIG welding...
DON'T TIG weld at all....

Get an oxy/acetylene torch set up... learn to gas weld first...
I cannot tell you how much I regret not going this route.

When you gas weld first you get a far greater feel for puddle control etc... You can also develop a better hand for welding.

Every old timer I've ever worked with (before I learned to tig) told me to go this route...
Old 12-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #3173
tims05
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
tims05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
The BEST thing you can do if you want to learn TIG welding...
DON'T TIG weld at all....

Get an oxy/acetylene torch set up... learn to gas weld first...
I cannot tell you how much I regret not going this route.

When you gas weld first you get a far greater feel for puddle control etc... You can also develop a better hand for welding.

Every old timer I've ever worked with (before I learned to tig) told me to go this route...
This is the best advise to be given.

Ive been lurking here just watching and learning oxyfuel welding FIRST is the best start to training/practicing.

Thats how my teacher at my vo-tech taught me because thats how he was taught. Also for him being the president of the NJ chapter of the AWS, he knew starting with oxyfuel was the best way to start.

Hell I didnt get to do any Tig welding till my 2nd yr in the vo-tech.

Process from school went Oxyfuel welding and cutting first, then Arc welding (flat, horizontal, vertical up and overhead), then we got to learn Mig welding (same positions as arc welding), Then you finally got to learn Tig.

If you can find someone thats willing to teach in that order and is strict with there standards. You become one hell of a welder, even if ya just end up doing one form of what you learned.
tims05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #3174
rrcspeed

rrcspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
I came to this website to promote my shop , Because a a customer thought it would be beneficial to other people & my self to learn more about the import sport market & a great way to broaden my customer base . Using my knoledge in racing . Suspention workings ,Race car construction + fabrication . Also including my other services . Mill + lathe & cnc services , handling 1 off's + small production runs .

ADVERTISEMENT REMOVED

rrcspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #3175
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Great work and all, but I don't think you're allowed to be advertising your company without paying for the advertising fee on here.

Props on the fab.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #3176
Maximamike
Zilvia Junkie

Maximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to beholdMaximamike is a splendid one to behold
Rear subframe looks cool.
Maximamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #3177
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Decided to ditch the factory steering tube and fabricate our own.

We should have the final drivers position tomorrow and start measuring for the cage.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #3178
STR8E180
Zilvia Junkie

STR8E180 is an unknown quantity at this point
got my engine running

took heaps of fabrication work to get this all working
YouTube - Powertune 180SX SR20VET kicks over!

should be getting tuned very soon
STR8E180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:22 AM   #3179
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Awesome pics Luke, you moving the seating position back any? Is there room?

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #3180
lancerevil

lancerevil is an unknown quantity at this point
First time welding with a mig, probably third time welding overall. Here is the oulet pipe for my supercharger.

lancerevil is offline   Reply With Quote