Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #271
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVGASM View Post
aluminum block home boy..they're within the same weight SR20det.
You're an idiot... To bad the larger crank, 8 pistons and con-rods, 2 cast manifolds, etc, aren't made out of this almighty aluminum too.....
(With the exception of the LS7 forged Ti con-rods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjohnson7 View Post
Truth!!!
You should know better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Okay okay okay.

I'm really sorry, I don't mean to threadjack, and I don't want to start a thread war, I just want to solve this gigantic internet myth once and for all.

A guy named Fred Allen Burge (who was on here, and started engineswaptech.com) weighed some engines a while back. I'll just quote him:

Now we all know that the SR weighs within 10lbs of the KA (with the T25 on the SR) . So add accessories to both engines, and you're still looking at a difference of at least 100lbs btween the KA/SR and the Chevy LS-series. And there is no way a larger turbo/manifold/intercooler weigh 100lbs.

Please stop saying they weigh the same.
THANK FUCKING GOD! Someone finally posted this! I was just about to post this!

You can also add an approx 88lbs to the iron blocked LS motors.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #272
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
will the DCC still work once the LSX is in?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:11 AM   #273
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
will the DCC still work once the LSX is in?
There's a couple ways to do it, but I don't imagine Toby will have a problem with it.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #274
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
You're an idiot... To bad the larger crank, 8 pistons and con-rods, 2 cast manifolds, etc, aren't made out of this almighty aluminum too.....

Who fucking cares!? So its maybe 100 pounds heavier? Thats about a tenth of a second slower, but when you take throttle response into consideration its probably quicker.
Is this your car? Is it something you're in charge of? Are you paying the bills?
I have a tremendous amount of respect for Broadfield, he's one of the few who's actually doing everything himself, and the end result doesn't look like a 21 year old car thats been put threw hell. It's probably cleaner than the majority of brand new cars at the stealership.
If you don't like his car, then theres a pretty damn simple solution, dont click on his threads!

Back on topic, Im pretty excited to see where this build goes. IMHO I think that this is the quality that ALL S-chassis owners should strive for.
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #275
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Time to get down to it. I still had the complete motor setup in the car as I wanted to give any potential buyer the opportunity to come see/listen to the motor and take it out for a spin given decent weather conditions. I'm tired of waiting for someone to buy this as a complete set, so I'm officially paring it out. I figured I'd better get the car in the spot it's going to sit in for the next few months before I tear it down. That spot would be in the garage at my house. Although my shop would be easier, warmer and all of my tools are there, I chose to do this at my house for several reasons. Since I work a minimum of 6 days a week, it's hard to get the energy to stay there after work and then work on my on vehicle... that's just spending too much time in one place. I would also be neglecting my family. My wife and I had our second daughter 4 months ago. So by doing this at my house, I am readily available if I'm needed. I can also simply walk out to the garage at midnight and tear into it.

So the first order was cleaning the space. If you are a family man, you probably know what it's like to have kids and all of the items that go along with having them. I had Power Wheels, bicycles, strollers etc. taking up valuable real-estate out in my garage. So I spent an hour or so yesterday getting that all moved to the basement. I need ample room for getting the motor out with the cherry picker, room for the new motor set, random parts, room for body panels and so on. And since I only have a 2-car garage, this meant that my wife's car has to stay out all winter in the driveway along with my TL that sits out anyway. So I promised her I would toss on a Viper remote start system to help ease the pain. Winters get down as low as -15 degrees here and we have the possibility of 20" of snow tomorrow night. So she is not happy about this whole thing to say the least. But she knows who she married and understands my obsession with building cars. This is where it's going to sit for awhile:

Unfortunately it was only about 25 degrees yesterday, but with the door shut, it was surprisingly comfortable without heat in there. I only had a couple hours to tinker with it, but got most of the AN lines removed, intercooler piping, intake, started to pull the engine harness etc... some of the stuff ready to be sold:

Of course my 4 year old loves to help where she can. She knows rule # 1 is: Don't F up my car:

My boy Kyle came over to help me pop the hood off... didn't quite trust my wife or my little helper:

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds

Last edited by Broadfield; 02-01-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #276
bikrman2
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
bikrman2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bikrman2
finally a real update! I'm super jealous of your garage too. Isn't it great having young kids that want to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangan_cruiser View Post
if you dont have any valuable information GTFO.
bikrman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #277
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Wait, this is a build thread???!?!? I thought we were talking shit about quality work and LSXs.

JK. Jk. Great stuff, man. I have no doubt you will make substantially more on parting it out than the complete package. It worked out WAY better in my favor when I parted mine. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 AM   #278
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Your daughter is adorable, and your garage in impeccably clean.

I'd expect nothing less. *cheers*

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 AM   #279
boyou2
Zilvia Junkie

boyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura aboutboyou2 has a spectacular aura about
cute,the daughter helps daddy ^^

+1 with GSXRJJordan,your garage is amasingly clean,i'm jealous ^^
boyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #280
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Man, kicking the wife out of the garage in the blizzard of the century! LOL... I bet she called you a Greg for that one. It's for sure nice to be able to work on the car at home, though. I think that will make things a lot easier on you in some aspects.

I'm surprised to see Emily wearing something other than pink! haha...

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #281
stockbee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
stockbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stockbee
Yay, the teardown finally commences!

Can't wait to see things take shape~!
stockbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #282
angels12
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (14)
angels12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
u daugther its so cute, keep stick to this thread to see the progress.
angels12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #283
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
Great to finally see a start. For me, the worst part about working in the garage in the winter is that all your tools and everything metal is freezing cold. Sucks the warmth right out of your hands pretty quickly. I suggest getting some insulation panels for your garage door to help keep it warmer in there. Plus it will make it less rattly.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #284
Slammed180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Slammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of lightSlammed180 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
Of course my 4 year old loves to help where she can. She knows rule # 1 is: Don't F up my car
Important ground rules to be set before anyone should be allowed to touch anothers car.

Haha. Good shit man. It's cool seeing that.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #285
thenooblet
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
thenooblet is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I jelly. I wish my car was cool
thenooblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #286
Chase Bays
Zilvia Junkie

Chase Bays is an unknown quantity at this point
stoked stoked stoked

IMPROVING PERFORMANCE AND AESTHETICS WHILE SAVING WEIGHT AND SPACE

www.ChaseBays.com | [email protected] | (205)623-2188
Chase Bays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #287
Chase Bays
Zilvia Junkie

Chase Bays is an unknown quantity at this point
haha Nate is tagged in this. Nate sucks =P

IMPROVING PERFORMANCE AND AESTHETICS WHILE SAVING WEIGHT AND SPACE

www.ChaseBays.com | [email protected] | (205)623-2188
Chase Bays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #288
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Send a message via MSN to Quail
American garages are so big. Totally jealous.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #289
HouseElf
Zilvia Member

HouseElf is an unknown quantity at this point
im excited for this man! even though its going to put my 240 to shame
Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #290
sliksta1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
sliksta1 has a spectacular aura aboutsliksta1 has a spectacular aura aboutsliksta1 has a spectacular aura aboutsliksta1 has a spectacular aura aboutsliksta1 has a spectacular aura aboutsliksta1 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I totally understand your family situation. Im in the same boat. Its hard to manage time (and money) to work on the car and take care of family needs sometimes.
Props on the new plans, cant wait to see the end result!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #291
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Looking great so far. Always awesome to see the family get involved. I have 4 kids myself, so there is always at least 1 extra set of hands in the garage with me, at all times. lol

Keep up the good work!

Waiting for nicho919 to pipe up with some ridiculous comments about your garage and daughter having "non functional upgrades" that he doesn't respect..
Old 02-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #292
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Garage needs MOAR of a garage look. Posters, work bench?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #293
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Man, kicking the wife out of the garage in the blizzard of the century! LOL... I bet she called you a Greg for that one. It's for sure nice to be able to work on the car at home, though. I think that will make things a lot easier on you in some aspects.

I'm surprised to see Emily wearing something other than pink! haha...
My wife knows better than to call me that!

I guarantee Emily has pink on underneath it. Purple is her second favorite color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockbee View Post
Yay, the teardown finally commences!

Can't wait to see things take shape~!
Yeah, I'm pretty pumped. But it's going to be a long road ahead. We'll see if I can get it all done by the middle of July. It's going to be a tough task time wise and money wise. I'm going to post up a to-do list later with all the stuff I have planned and need to complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels12 View Post
u daugther its so cute, keep stick to this thread to see the progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan
Your daughter is adorable, and your garage in impeccably clean.

I'd expect nothing less. *cheers*
Yeah, Emily is my everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axiomatik View Post
Great to finally see a start. For me, the worst part about working in the garage in the winter is that all your tools and everything metal is freezing cold. Sucks the warmth right out of your hands pretty quickly. I suggest getting some insulation panels for your garage door to help keep it warmer in there. Plus it will make it less rattly.
Yeah, I need to get a space heater for the corner of the garage up by the front left corner of the car. That should suffice enough until next month once it starts to warm up a little in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Bays View Post
haha Nate is tagged in this. Nate sucks =P
I agree! Yeah, Nate is a cool cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quail View Post
American garages are so big. Totally jealous.
Actually mine is small for the USA... it's not even a 3-car garage or extra deep. Mine is basically the standard for a 2-car. I debated doing a 3-car when I had the house built 4 years ago, but the extra $15k to do so didn't seem worth it since I have the shop at my business. Now I'm kind of kicking myself. My next house WILL have a 3-car and be extra deep for sure. I'll probably do a lift in it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliksta1 View Post
I totally understand your family situation. Im in the same boat. Its hard to manage time (and money) to work on the car and take care of family needs sometimes.
Props on the new plans, cant wait to see the end result!
Your right on man, it is surprisingly difficult sometimes. Totally worth it though to have kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Waiting for nicho919 to pipe up with some ridiculous comments about your garage and daughter having "non functional upgrades" that he doesn't respect..
Hahaha... classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinnmiami240sx View Post
Garage needs MOAR of a garage look. Posters, work bench?
That would be my shop at my business.

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #294
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The shop at mobile is plenty garage-ey

Super throwback picture. this doesn't even show the "garage" part, where Toby's toolbox is along with fridge, stereo, computer, Matco calendar(s), and of course a calendar of pictures of Emily, or E-Dawg, as I call her

kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #295
taran!
Leaky Injector

taran! is an unknown quantity at this point
Cant Wait to see more progress of this build!
taran! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 AM   #296
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Z28ricer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post

A little reality for you, the crank weighs approx the same, the cast exhaust manifolds rarely get used with a swap like this.

Do you really expect 4 pistons/rods to weigh something signifigant ?

The intake manifold weighs in at a lot less than the SR's cast aluminum chunk, the accessory brackets, hey they're aluminum, SR stuff is what ? cast steel ?

The extra weight from an LSx swap isnt even in the engine, its the transmission, oh dear, whatever shall I do with an extra 80-90 lbs in the center of the car, and not having a box thats as strong as glass
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:44 AM   #297
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Worked on tearing this thing down again today... didn't get a single minute to work on it since my last update. We had 20 F'n inches of snow Tuesday night. So I shoveled snow all damn day Wednesday. Had it not been for this swap, I would have bought a nice $900 Husqvarna snow blower. I almost did it anyway a couple weeks ago and I was kicking myself Wednesday that my balls were not quite big enough to go through with it. Oh well, that money would of come out of my swap funds, so I'm glad I held strong. I'm also wiring my garage for 220 and installing a sub-panel out there. I'm going to pick up a Miller TIG, sizable air compressor and a portable 220 volt shop heater. So I need to get some juice out to the garage. After 2-3 hours of work, I leave you with my only pic:

My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #298
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Hoping I'll be down there to see it come out of the car... nice work holding strong on the snowblower. We only got about 10", but I went through the same thought process, lol.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #299
kyles1988
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
kyles1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Hoping I'll be down there to see it come out of the car...
By it I assume you mean Toby's faux hawk as he steps out of the car....

Last edited by kyles1988; 02-07-2011 at 10:06 AM..
kyles1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #300
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Dick tease.