Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > North Western States

North Western States Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #271
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
You'd stop better per buck with a good set of tires. most guys wrongfully get a big brake kit assuming that's all they'll need. What they should spend money on is better pads, better fluid, better tires, and a whole lotta driving time.

also news update on that black bitch that wont start. cold compression numbers
#1-180
#2-180
#3-120
#4-175

looks like Im gonna need a rebuild, unless someone has a KA-DE sitting around I can rebuild and swap in.
I was just trying to get different opinions on the BBK not making a difference in stopping distance debate.
Without changing anything but the brakes, some say that the the car will stop the same dsitance from 100mph to 0 and others of course it will be less.
Either way, meh....

Sorry to hear about your low compression. There is a place on craiglist that is selling refurb ones for $1500. Other than that, I haven't seen any. I too want to have a spare to rebuild. Rust in the coolant passages isn't 'cool' (no pun intended....lol)

Do you do the rebuilds yourself?
Old 06-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #272
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
You'd stop better per buck with a good set of tires. most guys wrongfully get a big brake kit assuming that's all they'll need. What they should spend money on is better pads, better fluid, better tires, and a whole lotta driving time.

also news update on that black bitch that wont start. cold compression numbers
#1-180
#2-180
#3-120
#4-175

looks like Im gonna need a rebuild, unless someone has a KA-DE sitting around I can rebuild and swap in.
Saw this one for sale on here:
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=631649

Shipping might make it worth it?
Old 06-30-2016, 03:38 AM   #273
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Clutch Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
I was just trying to get different opinions on the BBK not making a difference in stopping distance debate.
Without changing anything but the brakes, some say that the the car will stop the same dsitance from 100mph to 0 and others of course it will be less.
Either way, meh....

Sorry to hear about your low compression. There is a place on craiglist that is selling refurb ones for $1500. Other than that, I haven't seen any. I too want to have a spare to rebuild. Rust in the coolant passages isn't 'cool' (no pun intended....lol)

Do you do the rebuilds yourself?
yeah I rebuild the engines myself. KA's are relatively easy to some others ive had a hand with... *cough1uzcough*
i want to mess around with the bore and high compression as well as a crank scraper and lightened stock rods.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #274
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
yeah I rebuild the engines myself. KA's are relatively easy to some others ive had a hand with... *cough1uzcough*
i want to mess around with the bore and high compression as well as a crank scraper and lightened stock rods.
Sooo... ammmm..... seeing that you're the KA Rebuild King, you wouldn't mind rebuilding one for me right?

What's your KA rebuild rate anyway? lol...
Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #275
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
BoostyMcZface is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm gonna rebuild mine when I tear it out and sell it. I haven't looked into it but I can't imagine a parts kit would be very expensive, and probably only take two weekends to do. 3-400 in gaskets, rings, bearings etc.. doing engines just takes patience and time, lots of assembly lube and decent knowledge how to use precision measuring equipment. torque everything correctly, mark all your parts (I like to use cheap nail polish, different colors, match them up and you're good to go) and don't lose anything :P
BoostyMcZface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #276
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostyMcZface View Post
I'm gonna rebuild mine when I tear it out and sell it. I haven't looked into it but I can't imagine a parts kit would be very expensive, and probably only take two weekends to do. 3-400 in gaskets, rings, bearings etc.. doing engines just takes patience and time, lots of assembly lube and decent knowledge how to use precision measuring equipment. torque everything correctly, mark all your parts (I like to use cheap nail polish, different colors, match them up and you're good to go) and don't lose anything :P
So this brings up quite a few questions...

1. When are you coming back to the NW?
2. How much would you charge to rebuild a KA?
3. How much would you sell your KA for?
4. You seem to have a big azz garage to do all that work in. How much would you charge to do a swap, KA for KA?
5. If you have a lift at your place, how much would you rent it for?

You NW ballers are killing me man. ..... lol
Old 06-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #277
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Lmao we are a strange breed. I wont rebuild your motor since its not mine. But i know a guy who has rebuilt things including a 1uz, 302,, 350, a few hemi's a vw 1.8 and a rotary. hes down for the KA im asking price right now hes in bremerton at the moment
Old 06-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #278
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Lmao we are a strange breed. I wont rebuild your motor since its not mine. But i know a guy who has rebuilt things including a 1uz, 302,, 350, a few hemi's a vw 1.8 and a rotary. hes down for the KA im asking price right now hes in bremerton at the moment
Cool, thanks pimp.

Now lets see if I can afford his price......
Old 06-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #279
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I would expect no less than 1K for a good rebuild. That's also assuming that there would be zero machine work as well.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:11 PM   #280
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I would expect no less than 1K for a good rebuild. That's also assuming that there would be zero machine work as well.
I'm ok with that if it wasn't for the shop in Tacoma that is selling a refurb KA for $1500. I never used them before, so I don't know how reliable their engines are.
I would rather rebuild an engine so that I'll know what exactly has been done to it, but I don't want to waste money on it. Too many other things are needed for this car.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:18 AM   #281
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

pm'd you his contact information
Old 07-01-2016, 04:30 AM   #282
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

1500 isn't terrible if you sell yours to pick that up. A legit rebuild, with no machine work, a grand is ballpark.. just depends on parts price, and probably 500 bucks in labor

I have no garage at the moment, my house won't be built til November or so.. and when I rebuild it I want to put it back in my car and put some miles on it to make sure it's good to go, it'll be my first KA. What's wrong with your current one? Mine runs great but she puffs a cloud of smoke if she idles for a bit and then you take off. It just drives me insane because it looks ghetto lol

and I WISH I had a lift. I don't know if I can fit something like that yet in my new one, I'm no baller, I just manage money fairly well :P
Old 07-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #283
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
pm'd you his contact information
Thanks pimp.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #284
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
1500 isn't terrible if you sell yours to pick that up. A legit rebuild, with no machine work, a grand is ballpark.. just depends on parts price, and probably 500 bucks in labor

I have no garage at the moment, my house won't be built til November or so.. and when I rebuild it I want to put it back in my car and put some miles on it to make sure it's good to go, it'll be my first KA. What's wrong with your current one? Mine runs great but she puffs a cloud of smoke if she idles for a bit and then you take off. It just drives me insane because it looks ghetto lol

and I WISH I had a lift. I don't know if I can fit something like that yet in my new one, I'm no baller, I just manage money fairly well :P
True, the price isn't bad. It's just that I really want to minimize the down time, so I'm thinking of getting one to put in and rebuild the one that's currently in the car. That way I'll have a spare that's ready to go.

So when you're building your house, it's going to have a 5 car garage right?

What's wrong with the one I have? So many things.
Rust in the coolant so it over heats like a mo-fo.
Coolant pour out of the thermostat area.
Oil all over the outside of it.
It has over 200K minles on it so I'm not even going to embarrass myself by doing a compression test.

Not having a lift can be easily fixed by making the garage big enough to have one.... BOOM!!! lol
Old 07-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #285
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

haha i wish.. i can't afford a big fancy 3 or 4 car. or 5 haha its just a decent sized 2 car. pluslol i still have a bajillion things to buy for the 240. i need sponserz

Ya man i'd definitely be down to help with rebuild stuff though in any way i can
Old 07-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #286
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
haha i wish.. i can't afford a big fancy 3 or 4 car. or 5 haha its just a decent sized 2 car. pluslol i still have a bajillion things to buy for the 240. i need sponserz

Ya man i'd definitely be down to help with rebuild stuff though in any way i can
You're the baller who's buying OZ WINTER rims....lol.
All you need is a decent size yard to build one of those detached garages. That way you wouldn't upset the decor of the house..

At this point, I wouldn't even mind if all someone did was point at the issue....lol This is my first time working with a S14, so I'm confused like a virgin going to have sex. Every time I look at that madness going on under the intake manifold, I'm literally like , FUC THIS

AND when you add all the 'AZZNESS' the previous owner did, I'm ready to stab a platypus and slap a baby llama......

But seeing that you know about 425 and there is some one less on here who lives near there, this might turn out to be a good year after all.

Do any of you guys go to the track? Either 'The Ridge' or 'Pro Racing'?

Sorry, end rant.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #287
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

lol i just save and save and then buy dumb stuff i dont need. like my te37s.

lol yeah i dont know how my yard is going to sit yet. I'd love to be able to have a little side garage or at least extend mine a little wider. we shall see. i need room for welding and machining etc.

and its not that complicated really. it just looks like a ton of stuff. i have to rip into my wiring and see what the previous dudes did too. its got an aftermarket alarm and some janky blue neon lights in the foot wells. i gotta pull my dash off and see whats happening. my dome light doesnt come on when the door opens, and theres a drain somewhere. my hvac stuff doesn't light up with the headlights on. etc. i need to wire in a kill switch too... and I think I figured out a pretty sweet way to do it. my good buddy is an industrial electrician and is gangsta with wiring.. i'm hoping he'll help.. but its all fairly simple, it has a beginning and and end and sometimes stuff in between. just gotta follow it lol

and i haven't had any of my stuff on any tracks yet. a buddy of mine tracks his single turbo 370z at the ridge though.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #288
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
lol i just save and save and then buy dumb stuff i dont need. like my te37s.

lol yeah i dont know how my yard is going to sit yet. I'd love to be able to have a little side garage or at least extend mine a little wider. we shall see. i need room for welding and machining etc.

and its not that complicated really. it just looks like a ton of stuff. i have to rip into my wiring and see what the previous dudes did too. its got an aftermarket alarm and some janky blue neon lights in the foot wells. i gotta pull my dash off and see whats happening. my dome light doesnt come on when the door opens, and theres a drain somewhere. my hvac stuff doesn't light up with the headlights on. etc. i need to wire in a kill switch too... and I think I figured out a pretty sweet way to do it. my good buddy is an industrial electrician and is gangsta with wiring.. i'm hoping he'll help.. but its all fairly simple, it has a beginning and and end and sometimes stuff in between. just gotta follow it lol

and i haven't had any of my stuff on any tracks yet. a buddy of mine tracks his single turbo 370z at the ridge though.
How dare you call TE37's dumb stuff you don't need. You take that back...lol

If you saw the space I'm trying to work in, you'll understand why the last thing I want to do is take that damn dashboard out. I could barely open the doors..... So I got another one to practice sealing the cracks. If it looks good enough, then it's just a matter of swapping them. The one in the car doesn't look that bad with two cracks on it.

I was an EE, so if you need any help, let me know.

I'm telling you man, if you build a new house from the ground up and don't have a lift or atleast the space to maybe put on down the road, you might regret it.

I hear you with the previous owner problems. I don't know why they have to be such jack azzes and take so much short cuts in doing anything OR have such bad tastes.

Mine had a hood scoop.........
Old 07-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #289
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

well, i love my TEs, but damn they were so expensive. wtf! lol

yeah dashboard is a complete pain. i'm dreading doing it but it has to be done.. i need to see whats under there and i'll need to run wires for the swap. I kinda just want to rip out the stock cluster and run a racepak IQC3s or whatever it is. i hate wiring. :P

whats an EE?

and the house isn't custom, i just get to choose some parts of it. when ig et back i'm going to ask the builders if i can do some custom stuff though like run a 220 outlet in the garage, and wire the house for ceiling speakers and cat 5 cable. hopefully theyre coo.

i got more fun parts in.. but my woman keeps forgetting to send me pictures... i neeed partsssssss... -_-
Old 07-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #290
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
well, i love my TEs, but damn they were so expensive. wtf! lol

yeah dashboard is a complete pain. i'm dreading doing it but it has to be done.. i need to see whats under there and i'll need to run wires for the swap. I kinda just want to rip out the stock cluster and run a racepak IQC3s or whatever it is. i hate wiring. :P

whats an EE?

and the house isn't custom, i just get to choose some parts of it. when ig et back i'm going to ask the builders if i can do some custom stuff though like run a 220 outlet in the garage, and wire the house for ceiling speakers and cat 5 cable. hopefully theyre coo.

i got more fun parts in.. but my woman keeps forgetting to send me pictures... i neeed partsssssss... -_-
EE - Electrical Engineer.
And you want cat6 .. most def.. with a cable closet some where. FIOS for LIFE!!!!

With money in their hands, they'll be cool with what ever you want.

I hate car wiring because you're confined to the most awkward positions sometimes. I remember one time I couldn't move because my muscles were like

Wait, when exactly are you coming back and where will you be located when you do?
Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 AM   #291
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

Oh nice! So you're really really good with zappy shocky things like wiring. Haha

Yeah I've literally had to work upside down all smashed up in a ball to fix some airplane stuff, many times. I had to have someone pull me out. No bueno.. not my favorite.

I'll be back in August, and down in puyallup. And I know very little about computer things and wiring but I figure before the dry wall goes up I should run as much crap as I can lol
Old 07-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #292
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Oh nice! So you're really really good with zappy shocky things like wiring. Haha

Yeah I've literally had to work upside down all smashed up in a ball to fix some airplane stuff, many times. I had to have someone pull me out. No bueno.. not my favorite.

I'll be back in August, and down in puyallup. And I know very little about computer things and wiring but I figure before the dry wall goes up I should run as much crap as I can lol
I should have guessed that you'll be down south. Most of the military people are down there.

And you're right, it will be better and much cheaper to stuff all the wiring for the house in now, before the walls go up. Tearing into those things are not fun or cheap.

Wiring isn't hard. All you have to do is get your positives and negatives correct. What I HATE about car wiring is getting the colours right. There can be 5 'black and yellow' wires with the same colour thickness.

So a black wire with yellow stripe looks the damn same as a yellow wire with black stripe. I HATE that.....

August is right around the corner, so welcome back pimp.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #293
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

Yeah, I have a lot of friends that are north and would love to live further up but I have a pretty easy and mellow drive to work, either surface streets or 512.

Yeah I'd hate to have to cut into brand new walls. I probably would even do it and just put some sorta speaker system in the corners and have to rely on wifi. I dunno I gotta look into all that still, lol

Wiring isn't hard but I hate it. Lol I'm still learning tricks and how to solder and not look like a drunk blind person did it.

Thanks bro, I can't wait. Unfortunately both cars need work so I got some stuff to do when I get back. Fluids, plugs, and I want to change all the tumblers and need to change the ignition in the 240. I can start it with a screw driver :/ lol
Old 07-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #294
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Well when ever you want / need help or just need someone to drink out all of your beer because it's bad for you, let me know.....lol

I'm normally free and bored out of my mind most of the time....

It's cool to see a bunch of cars by a house with people just chilling, it makes me feel like home.

The more people helping you, the faster the cars can be fixed and back up to 'baller' status.....lol
Old 07-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #295
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

We can definitely drink some beer and do car stuff haha, thats two of my favorite things. I'm normally free too, and just play destiny and drink beer. LOL

Yeah when we do Formula 1 parties it usually is like that, it's awesome. Couple R35s, an R33 or two, bunch of 370s, VWs, mustangs, challengers, etc.

Yeah dude, I gotta do the oil and stuff on the 240, all the suspension, roll fenders etc. The Z (which lives! it got moved today to storage) needs supercharger fluid, oil, sparkplugs(pain in the ASS), MAFs cleaned, fuel pump adjusted... etc. It'll be a good couple days of dirty work and lots of beer / pizza. The more the merrier, always. Lol
Old 07-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #296
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Cool cool.... I'll be there with the cheapest, yet probably most stolen car of them all, an Acura Integra.....lol

Meh... 2 days tops.
240 on jack stands with two people working on it.

The Z, never worked on one, but I see your spark plug pain and raise your a V8 Ford explorer. I had to take off the wheel and stretch into the depths of HELL to reach the back spark plugs. Till this day I'm shocked that it didn't just break off.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #297
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

my engine bay looks similar.. just a little more in there. the strut bar needs to come off, the intakes which go all the way down into my bumper to the intercooler need to come off(HUGE pain), the intake manifold needs to come off lol its a total mess.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #298
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Ok, you win....lol
All of that to change some damn spark plugs? I would have sold the car when the first change was due.....lol
Old 07-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #299
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

Haha, yeah. I put cooler plugs in at 11k miles and now it's got 22k miles on it with 10k miles on boost, and it's idling a little odd like it's got a dirty MAF or plugs are going bad... it leans itself on idle for a few seconds and then drops back down to 14.7, so I'm gonna clean MAF, new plugs, and hope it's not a sensor. Lol
Old 07-04-2016, 03:21 AM   #300
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Haha, yeah. I put cooler plugs in at 11k miles and now it's got 22k miles on it with 10k miles on boost, and it's idling a little odd like it's got a dirty MAF or plugs are going bad... it leans itself on idle for a few seconds and then drops back down to 14.7, so I'm gonna clean MAF, new plugs, and hope it's not a sensor. Lol
Figured out my problem. Fuel pump shit the bed, it's now sucking the big dck in the sky

Time for a 300zx one