Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
wolf904 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
S13 drift/streetcar build

In November, 2014 I helped my friend in what would be my first experience with a motorswap ever. Helped him swap out his CA18DET in his imported Silvia for an SR20 he brought back from Japan. When it was all said and done I asked him what he planned to do with the CA18? He said he'd probably sell it for cheap to someone.

The next month I brought home a s13 shell on a friends trailer, and went to pick up his CA in the back of my dad's truck.

Still pretty new into drifting, I knew I wanted a car that I could build to handle well and have just the necessary things to be a well rounded drift car. I found a shell that seemed pretty attractive at the time. Overfenders, aero kit, 5 lug, all adjustable arms, angle mods, energy master bushing kit, solid subframe bushings, No rust and clean frame rails. It seemed like a already solid platform that just needed a motor and drivetrain, and coilovers.

alot of parts when I first got everything

The CA. all stock out of a 50,000 mile silvia.

Pressure washed the car, got all the shit out of the shell and vacuumed it, pressure washed the motor and all the 20 plus years of crud.

started doing work to the shell and assessing what I had. had to go over alot of previous owners work. IE front subframe was missing bolts/nuts. Studs were missing on hubs. Reinstalling windows and harnesses. Nice

pressure washed the entire underneath of the car because I hate working under these stupid cars when dirt falls into your eyes. I would know because I've stripped plenty of s13's at the junkyard of all their hardware since my shell was missing so much hardware. Nothing worse then that shit falling into your eyes

painted engine bay

Only real maintenance I wanted to do to the CA with my budget at the time (17 year old high schooler in his senior year paying for everything with what little money he had lol.) was a timing belt. I know these are interference motors so to avoid messing up my valves/pistons at high revs and having to deal with a snapped timing belt, I opted to do a new one with the motor out. This was also a good excuse to paint the timing cover and valve/coilpack covers.

got the motor in within 2 months of owning the shell, working in my freetime when I didn't have to do school stuff.

I then got everything all hooked up and whatnot and was ready for the final step. Wiring the JDM CA18DET engine harness for a usdm 240sx chassis harness

I had read online and heard from everyone that the wiring is the same as wiring a sr20. With my limited experience ( my 2nd motorswap ever. and this one was now fully on my own. my friends had limited time to help me so I never felt like asking people to help really. I like working by myself as I can take however long to work and make sure everything is done to my standards.) and lack of support for the CA18 versus the sr20, I looked up the sr20 wiring guide and proceeded. Took a few hours one day. Maf, 02 sensor, a grey and brown connector by the fusebox, and the dash connector. Went to start the car. Turns over which is good. Bad news is it wouldn't start and run. Car had fuel. Obviously had air. Didn't have spark. Made sure it wasn't ignitors or anything with a local CA guy. It wasn't that. Great. I then troubleshot to figure the issue out on my own for the next few months. It got to a point where I was just more focused on school than my car. Finally when I turned 18 I asked my dad if he could help me get this stupid thing running.

We started by removing the existing "relocated" chassis harness. This thing was sketchy.

Scored a factory virgin chassis harness i pulled out of a coupe for 20 bucks. Nice

Installed that and same issue occurred. My dad then insisted I remove the engine harness and have him help me go pin to pin and verify every wire going to the ecu had continuity and label everything. did that and taped it back up

it was then reinstalled into the car. Still no spark. Took a break yet again. Graduated. Started college classes. One day at class my dad started fiddling with my car when we thought about what all had changed since it ran in my friends silvia. Well all I had done was a timing belt. He made sure the timing was good. In the process of removing the cover, he went to reinstall the Cam Angle Sensor and noticed the half moon alignment pin was broken off of the cam! What the hell! He used a mirror to align it properly and it fired up! Happiest phone call of my life to finally hear my car start after months of having the motor up and nearly giving up.

With the newly running s13, the next local drift event was only a few weeks from then. I had to get the car ready!

first matter was tucking the chassis harness. This is how my dad mounted it temporarily but this simply would not do

it was a long but easy process. My best advice is to have spools of wire readily available and it will be easier.

extended every connector that would go into the engine bay for the light harness/etc and taped it all up and loomed it and tucked it where it couldn't be seen.

lots of wires needing to be organized.

new fuel lines on the tank because the old ones leaked

plumbed in this powersteering cooler that was actually a ATF cooler off a ford ranger. didn't want my powersteering boiling at lock especially in hot florida.

just cut the factory cooler hardline and plumbed it in there and to the reservoir

picked up some coilovers! GAB japan fronts. someone gave me some random rears, believe they were godspeed or something but was enough to get me to one drift event. did not plan on driving on the road as the car wasnt registered/insured yet

picked up this vented fiberglass hood one night for 20 bucks. which was better than my heavy oem one which had a slit cut into it with chicken wire.

oem 180sx kouki wing!!

put all what i had of my front interior back in one night

the car was slowly coming together! i believe this was a week or two away from the first event

maxxed both coils! took the helpers out in the front. was too much of a noob at the time to know to remove more collars haha oh well

got her on the ground for the first time. trailered the car for an alignment and had a week left until the event

door panels and more stuff on.

got rid of the leaky old hardlines for the hydro that was once in the car. I reinstalled oem ebrake stuff cause i like knowing its a seperate system from the hydraulic brakes.

still ran the bypass block so one day I can install the hydro. that would not be in the budget for the event though

hooked it all up and tucked it behind the dash for now. bled the brakes and was good. no more leaking brake fluid
wolf904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

*all the photos wouldnt fit in the first post so had to do a pt.2!!*

swapped out the CA18 turbo elbow for a 3 in SR one. CA flange for downpipe is clocked at a different angle than the sr. this means most downpipes cannot be used as they will be pitched at a angle and hit the trans. found this out the hard way. this was a good way to do new gasket and gain a little more flow with the 3 in elbow

oh yeah and someone had once cut off the egr tube thing on the sr elbow so i also got rid of a big exhaust leak haha.

i then had to pull the diff as it wasnt a welded like i had been told it was. too dumb to know at the time! oh well

new balljoint on the LCA as it had excessive play and was really worn!

put fluid and put it back in! the night before the event in fact haha. Stayed up for 3 days straight until sunday! drove without any sleep. but was rushing to get the car ready ! it all paid off

potato camera but the CA managed to make smoke in 3rd! i was happy with the experience for my first real drift event. I had did an event in my s14 which is not setup for drifting at all in the least and had to fight the car most of the time. The s13 wanted to drift and was very easy to place into drift and hold it there! the CA is a fun car to drive given a front mount, 3 inch exhaust, and slight boost up.

did 2 laps and the heater core plugs blew! fuuuck. Ended up looping the lines instead of plugging them. was happy it wasn't the headgasket or something making the hissing noise on my last run leaking coolant though. i was so tired that i was satisfied with those 2 runs as i finally got to drive my car after putting it together from a shell in my driveway.

With the event finally under my belt, I was very happy. I could once again work on the car without the stress of a upcoming event. I could take my time again.

I began by finishing what I had initally started with the chassis wire tuck. Nothing annoys me more to see clean cars with ECU's or wiring in the passenger floorboard, so the driver has to say "watch your feet". I wanted to avoid that, and also potential wiring problems stemming from the stress on things flying all over the car. As far as the engine bay stuff, I simply wanted that to make the bay cleaner, and keep the hard to find CA18 electronics away from water and the elements so i opted to place them inside.

made a power stud for the positive wires since the battery was relocated, and made sure it was covered and away from metal. also put the fusebox in glovebox.

That was pretty much it for the car at the time. It was running and driving good. I was content at the moment.

Next to the car I originally got the CA from!

At was at this point one stage of my car ended and another began.

I became obsessed with the old japanese style of drifting I saw in the older videos. The very first night someone started showing me these videos was the feature of Itoh's 180sx. His car mesmerized me. The ride height, the kouki 180sx aero, the wheels. I loved it. I started paying more attention to alot of these videos, watched and learned alot about Final Bout and some of the classic teams/builds in the states. With the new motivation in mind, I sold off the beat up replica aero and the coilovers. I sold the white wheels. I started to look for deals and begin thinking of how I'd like to carry out the car in terms of aesthetics.

One day while browsing through a tengoku I spotted this!! Amazing! I was in awe of the styling of this car. No stone was left unturned. kouki face with the different skirts and rear valance flowed so well and was very original, low ride height, lots of front camber to style the car, tucking wheel in the rear, the paint and pinstripe, tail lights, and of course the mirrors! I raised my standards after seeing this car. This car would serve as a foundation for me, showing me the level to which one should make a drift car look. It is very fun to look at and well executed.

The first step after parting the car somewhat would be wheels. I was trying to source some in the states, but didn't want to break the bank. I looked for a week and found these all the way in atlanta

I couldn't believe it. After finding a car for inspiration, I found an incredible deal on a set of the very wheels that 180 was on! work VS-SS
he held these for me for an entire week. I sold the kaaz 2 way lsd that was included with my CA18 swap, for 800 dollars in daytona, and drove to atlanta from jacksonville to pick up the wheels all in the same night. It was very worth it and I was glad to come across these.

18x9 and 18x10 +31 but low disk so they get roughly 3.5 and 4.5 inch lips. enough for me!

The car sat on stock springs aero less for a few months. My original plan was to not drive again until I pieced together all the parts for the car. this included:
- kouki 180 style aero
-kouki tails
-dmax style roof wing
-aeromarker / east bear / bomex 2 mirrors

I would then purchase coilovers for the car and register it and drive it for a little while, then get it in the paint booth for 350z Daytona Blue paint.

I slowly started getting parts for a few weeks

Then a track in gainesville announced they would be having an event, and I hadn't driven the car in forever. I saw their course layout, and knew I wanted to drive. I was going to have to hold off on buying parts and get the car ready to drive. considering all it really needed was coilovers, I started searching everywhere. Found some Cusco Comp coilovers for incredibly cheap! had someone deliver them from all the way in Charlotte NC for 250 dollars and a open diff I had gotten for free. amazing!

hit them all with pb blaster and wire brush and gave them a proper cleaning

took apart the rears for cleaning

put them back together. of course i was not given the spanner wrench tool so had to improvise. maxxed them out on the helper springs to see where i'd stand

done! now fronts

well it turns out nothing happened. These things were seized to fuck and did not want to budge. I was most likely going to have to take a pipe wrench and torch the next day if I planned to get these things to cooperate.

how i felt. Went to bed to rest up for another day

got rest and new mindset and it was time

got some of the corrosion off, and had to un bend the part that mounts to the knuckle. whoever used to own these looks like they tried to get the fronts to un seize wit a hammer and bent them, which prevented them mounting to the knuckle. fixed that issue and put them on.

looked cool

of course one side the camber plates cooperated, but the other side all but 1 broke off! good thing they weren't the ones that mattered. going to get more allen bolts from the store but these would do in mean time.

got the car on the ground to see what I was working with

pretty good work for one day! felt cool to work on the car again

its been so long I forgot what type of angle I was getting. decided to check for clearance

good clearance on trailing wheel! and ill be running more spacer so it will only get more room

not so much clearance up here. I'll lower it as much as I can for now, but I probably will do tubs and notch the frame so I can gain some clearance.

Well, thats what I did for today. Glad to drive/boost around the car again on my street. Tomorrow I will probably remove the rear helper spring and see how much lower it goes. Right now running 215 40 18 up front so going to swap out for my federal 595 in 215 35 18 and see how much more clearance I get and match the ride height to the rear, and see how much spacer I need up front. Hope to tuck most tire up front, and Tuck wheel in the rear! should be fun. I'll update then. glad to have this view back in my driveway! Very motivating and can't wait to drive it and dial it in.

Since then I've done even more things, gonna update later tonight or tomorrow!

Last edited by wolf904; 12-10-2015 at 09:55 AM..
Old 12-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Well I was happy to have my car back but was not satisfied with the height. Time to max out the coils haha

pulled the coils off the car again.

said bye to the helper spring in the rear. i tried to unseize the fronts but it was a lost cause. drooped the spring to where the shock mount was but even then they still had decent amount of preload so was all good haha

got it all back on

(the sticker came off a day later lol previous owner "fixes")

hell yeah. this was better. needed some dialing in but was deff way better than before.

daytime photo just cause

good steering geometry

gonna need a skidplate just to be safe

this was with a 215 35 18, instead of the previous 214 40 in the other photos.

definitely had some work cut out for me to accommodate the lows

for the fronts i cut slits and used pliers/hammer to gain more clearance. definitely plan to get tubs and respray engine bay in the future. for now its fine at full lock.

for the rears my ruca was hitting part of body, and toe arm are the stupid non-bent kind so i was hitting subframe bushing washer.

was negligent on getting photos but ended up running a different washer for the nut for the subframe bushing so i had way more clearance, and cut slits and hammered again for the ruca to have room.

then started having a issue where the car was breaking up and not running right at all. upon further investigation the CA coil pack ground had been stripped to wire and was just wrapped around a bolt. nice

after this no more breaking up haha.

after this I was good to go for the upcoming drift event as far as clearancing the car for the new amount of low. i had fixed the breaking up issue. and as these cars usually go, fix one thing and more problems come up out of nowhere.

now the car was having starting issues unless i fiddled with the fusebox in the glovebox, and the exhaust was starting to smoke like crazy.

the fumes were also getting into the cabin and it sucked. definitely had to figure this out before the event so i didn't pass out mid lap lol.

so its usually times like these I do other work on the car to continue making progress without getting aggravated on stupid issues that pop out of nowhere.

these stupid overfenders had a huge tab. making any chance of cool wheel fitment impossible. cut them out with dremel tool and sanded afterwards

done

well guess i need a bigger spacer in the rear. trying to put the tire practically on the fender.

atleast the front fender fitment was somewhat decent.

i still have the fiberglass overfenders. these pulled metal ones bow the fender arch upwards so hopefully since the overs arent like that, they're just wider, it'll be tucking tire with tighter fitment all around. just waiting to run them until the car is painted since they're gonna blow up or get eaten up quick.

on another note here's the destruction on my driveway so far from my tension rod bracket. guess i should get these gusseted so they dont bend when they hit everything

nice. need another intercooler that mounts higher lol and this one just looks like garbage anyways.

got something cool in the mail from derty dan. Cool guy. released his bears to me for a fair price and I was ecstatic to rid of the hideous stock mirrors. Of course where I live in florida I was getting made fun of getting "useless" mirrors before investing into more angle mods or more power but i felt like the car was perfectly fine in both areas. I'm trying to finish up aero so I can get the car painted and these were a good deal so it made sense to me.

got them on and was very happy.

So with some things to get my mind off the problems, I went back with a clear head and had to figure out the car before the event. Popped the catch can off and found this

so I went back to the factory pcv system, which i think looks cleaner. previous owner had plugged the intake so i had to remove that and reinstall the pcv valve

no more smoking issues after this

Then the car was having starting issues so i troubleshooted. it was the connector by the fusebox that goes to the lower harness that leads to starter. It had some resistance i suppose from the car sitting for months. re taped up and ziptied the fusebox for now and the vehicle starts up every time.

so now my only real event prep for next weekend is to play with the toe and cars alignment. gonna do an oil change before the event but i am excited to drive the car forsure. should be fun! i've owned it for about a year and only drifted it 2 laps. will be good to get a bunch of seat time in.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
yomisiu
Nissanaholic!

yomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her self
i like the direction this build is going.

my buddy will be competing at the gainesville event, i'm gonna try to make it out. hope to see you out there!
yomisiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomisiu View Post
i like the direction this build is going.

my buddy will be competing at the gainesville event, i'm gonna try to make it out. hope to see you out there!
Yep I'm registered to drive gonna be towing the car out can't wait to let the CA rip haha.

Yeah definitely dude. My name is Gabe haha so if you see me feel free to say whats up ( opposed to whats up wolf904 lol)
Old 12-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
LaMaR-
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
LaMaR- is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wait theres an event in Gainesville coming up?? How have I not heard of this...
When is it?
LaMaR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMaR- View Post
wait theres an event in Gainesville coming up?? How have I not heard of this...
When is it?

December 19th dood. There is a facebook event for it:
TGDC Gator Drift Bash / Top Drifter of FL Round 3
look that up. ride out! gonna be a fun time. and hopefully there is some dope cars there
Old 12-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
neat build.

I see you are using regular fuel line for carb'd engines. You must use fuel injection hose or it will not hold up long and cause future leaks/fire.
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood View Post
neat build.

I see you are using regular fuel line for carb'd engines. You must use fuel injection hose or it will not hold up long and cause future leaks/fire.
oh dang! haha my dad has a box of fuel lines he referred me to use. he must of had some for the chevelle in there along with the fuel injection hoses. Thanks for the tip! I'll get that taken care of before the event dude.

I'm assuming they're just meant to handle way lower fuel pressure?
Old 12-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
LaMaR-
Leaky Injector

LaMaR- is an unknown quantity at this point
Wolf I wish my car would be ready... Its far from there though as you may have seen on .NET
LaMaR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #11
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Proud of you bb
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMaR- View Post
Wolf I wish my car would be ready... Its far from there though as you may have seen on .NET
Ah dang! Would be cool just to go watch if you could fit in your schedule though? think its gonna be a dope event! i did not want to miss out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Proud of you bb
thanks man! trying to do my best to make the car look neat! hopefully soon
Old 12-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #13
itsaCoupeThing

itsaCoupeThing is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude!! i love this build, very detailed and more down to earth budget wise then alot of builds here. subbed!
itsaCoupeThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #14
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
I was iffy when I saw photos of the shell when you first bought it, but it seemed like you had a good head on your shoulders. You've done a great job with this thing, especially considering your experience level and budget. It's always cool to see people willing to get their hands dirty and work towards a goal with good taste.

Keep it up, this is a fun read!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
yiuve addressed and fixed so many issues... bravo
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #16
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaCoupeThing View Post
Dude!! i love this build, very detailed and more down to earth budget wise then alot of builds here. subbed!
Thanks heaps! I definitely would classify it as a budget build too haha, wish I had the money to execute it way better, but it drives nice and drifts good so for the money that I have invested into it, it makes it that much more rewarding. With patience, lots of searching, and a willingness to do your own work you can definitely save alot of money while still doing things correctly. Down the road once I get alot of seat time and become a well rounded driver, everything will get slowly upgraded though. Until then I just want to have fun with what I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
I was iffy when I saw photos of the shell when you first bought it, but it seemed like you had a good head on your shoulders. You've done a great job with this thing, especially considering your experience level and budget. It's always cool to see people willing to get their hands dirty and work towards a goal with good taste.

Keep it up, this is a fun read!
Wow, thanks a ton! Your s13 has definitely been one of the few stateside that has given me inspiration to keep moving forward and a good example of how a kouki rps13 should be styled. I don't blame you on the initial photos haha the car was pretty rough when I got it! but I'm trying to do my best with my experience and budget. I think after the drift event saturday I will make some moves so I can acquire the rest of the kouki aero bits and get the car painted. Thanks for the kind words, means alot and will definitely give me more drive to move forward
Old 12-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #17
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWGarage View Post
yiuve addressed and fixed so many issues... bravo
Thank you man! Yes, there has been plenty of things with the shell that needed addressing since I purchased the shell around this time last year. I had another thread on a local forum where I went more in depth but I tried to condense it for the major things for zilvia. But it has been cool to gain alot of experience and learn the inside and outs of a 240sx. From going to the junkyard and stripping s13 of almost all of their hardware and labeling them into baggies because my shell was missing them haha, to learning how to remove hubs and press wheelstuds in, and many more things.... I think its cool to know this stuff so I can maintain my future cars without having to get shops to do everything. And I definitely feel more proud of this car since I've done it all in my driveway, and its nice to have peace of mind knowing the work is done by me the right way.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #18
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting to receive the responses I have! To hear positive feedback from people is really cool, and I'm glad others can appreciate the new direction I am heading with the car. I wasn't expecting much feedback at all, so it's definitely very motivating to hear back from people.

Because it seems like a few people are interested, I've made the decision to switch back to shooting with my DSLR. Figured I can supply atleast somewhat quality photos haha, and I will try to write better too and go more in depth so people don't get bored. I used to do this when I first got the shell and building a car was new and exciting lol, but I'll do my best in the future.

Tomorrow I'll be getting the car aligned at a buddies, then thursday/friday I'll finish doing a fresh oil change and making sure everything on the car is tight and secure and ready to be abused on saturday for the drift event. I'm really excited to get to drive the car, and should be fun to have some people check the car out and meet others and check out some other builds.

I'll leave off with a few photos I shot tonight. Crazy to look at the car how I got it as a shell and see it now. Know it's still pretty rough but once I get the aero and get the car painted I'm hoping it turns out neat

Untitled by Gabe Esquivias, on Flickr

s13 by Gabe Esquivias, on Flickr

Old 12-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #19
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
I'm sure the car will come together really nicely. Hope it holds up well for you so you can enjoy the event this weekend!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #20
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf904 View Post
the fumes were also getting into the cabin and it sucked. definitely had to figure this out before the event so i didn't pass out mid lap lol.

so its usually times like these I do other work on the car to continue making progress without getting aggravated on stupid issues that pop out of nowhere.

these stupid overfenders had a huge tab. making any chance of cool wheel fitment impossible. cut them out with dremel tool and sanded afterwards

done

Soooooooo what is with the giant hole in the wheel well? If that is daylight from the windshield coming through I would be more concerned with this and less concerned with cool wheels.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #21
NJs13_1993
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
NJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of lightNJs13_1993 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Build looks promising man! Good luck
NJs13_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #22
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Soooooooo what is with the giant hole in the wheel well? If that is daylight from the windshield coming through I would be more concerned with this and less concerned with cool wheels.

Its just how the previous owner cut for the overfenders. Trust me, I don't like it either but when I get the car registered, I will be taking it to someone who can weld so we can remove the overfenders, cut higher so I gain more clearance to go lower one day, and plate off where the gaping holes are that you see. The only issue is smoke coming into the cabin from drifting really. And I'm not making much power so it doesn't get that bad at all. They also didn't even align the body line on the overfenders to the car properly so it's jut more reason to pull them off. going back and redoing work has been a recurring theme on this shell lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJs13_1993 View Post
Build looks promising man! Good luck
Thankyou! I'm glad to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
I'm sure the car will come together really nicely. Hope it holds up well for you so you can enjoy the event this weekend!
I hope so too! Going to do a thorough inspection of the car beforehand so I can spend more time on the track and less time working on it in the pits.

I got the car aligned yesterday, sure was a pain loading onto the trailer and bottoming out on frame haha. Alignment rack wasn't as bad but still a hassle but funny to watch. Car is driving great now though. Doing a oil change and mounting more tires today then loading up friday night to drive saturday! gonna try and get some cool coverage of the event! Can't wait to drive again
Old 12-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #23
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Its just how the previous owner cut for the overfenders. Trust me, I don't like it either but when I get the car registered, I will be taking it to someone who can weld so we can remove the overfenders, cut higher so I gain more clearance to go lower one day, and plate off where the gaping holes are that you see. The only issue is smoke coming into the cabin from drifting really. And I'm not making much power so it doesn't get that bad at all. They also didn't even align the body line on the overfenders to the car properly so it's jut more reason to pull them off. going back and redoing work has been a recurring theme on this shell lol
Wow. I just don't understand people like that and its sad S chassis' are being treated as such. I am glad you have it now and will hopefully resurrect it to proper form. If you follow my build thread at all I will be posting my rear quarters setup soon. It may give you some ideas to go from on yours. Is it too late the slap the previous owner lol?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #24
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Wow. I just don't understand people like that and its sad S chassis' are being treated as such. I am glad you have it now and will hopefully resurrect it to proper form. If you follow my build thread at all I will be posting my rear quarters setup soon. It may give you some ideas to go from on yours. Is it too late the slap the previous owner lol?
I will keep a look out for it man. I understand its something you would definitely need, with the power of the v8 haha, but with my little 1.8 turbo its not that crucial. on the last run I ever did it filled up with just enough smoke to make me feel cool but not too much to the point where it impaired my vision lol. Yeah there was plenty of things that needed addressing on the shell, but I don't put it past the previous owner. I'm lucky to have my dads collection of tools at my disposal and can ask him for advice/technical questions. Not every young person working on these cars has someone to initially show them the right way to do things. That however doesn't give the old owner a pass for cutting up the quarter panels how he did haha, but it's nothing too critical I can't go back and re-address it one day.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #25
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Event prep! Threw the car on the trailer to get it aligned. I knew i said i would be using my dslr from now on and i still will, but i was rushing to prepare so didn't even have time, much less to even get photos with my phone haha.

getting it aligned! drove great afterwards. broke my shitty intercooler mount in the process of getting on/off the trailer though.

now guess who owns this car from that previous photo?

lol

He lives in the country parts and built this vh45 vert haha. it has a full kit and is rattlecanned camo. I would usually make fun of something like this, but i think its funny to look at and its lower than my car in the rear (the bastard tucks 16s). its just funny to watch and is sweet to me for some odd reason since its the furthest thing away from my taste of cars. haha

got the car back home for an oil change and other prep for the event

wanted it to be secure more than just the middle so I saw this and got an idea

tapped the hole

and done!

came out nice! level and secure. and I mounted it to gain clearance between my frame rails which is a problem if it chafes against a coupler/pipe

in the process of all this I saw a sight I really hope to see in the near future lol wheel tuck just looks so cool to me. wish these coilovers just went a little lower

haha car isn't even registered and shit like this happens. gonna need a decent skidplate for when I get it street legal I guess

Ended up having an amazing time at the event!! The car held up perfect, no issues whatsoever! this is partly due to me staying up the entire night before the event (as always) double checking everything on the vehicle. then had other issues trailering so I didn't arrive at the event until it was halfway over. still had a dope time and felt good to give the car a good shakedown. felt like i got a million runs even still. i think the power/suspension is perfect. Won't even mod it for a while just maintain the car. made a lot of progression driving even just with 3 hours left on the event. here's a video my dad got haha, was supposed to bring my camera/have a buddy bring his dslr/gopro. but didn't work out. hopefully some cool media pops up but my car sucks so probably not lol. near the end of the day started driving pretty decent messing around with manjing the whole straightaway haha getting too carried away. was so fun though. really put the car through some abuse but it took it so i'm happy! for being my first real event in the s13 getting more than 2 laps, I'm happy with how I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkK4sAEICHY&feature=youtu.be

saw some cool cars there too! i know sil80s are supposed to be a sin but i spotted one on some cool weds cerberus 2 on it and thought it was nice! and also saw my friends neat miata that i personally think is cool. He is one hell of a driver haha.

lol and heres that guys car from earlier making statements at the event

the CA made work of the 18x10j's!! had 0 issues drifting on them however switching to the 17 inch drift spares that are like 8j's was alot easier to drift on haha.

had a blast then had to load up which is always the hardest/most violent part and my car isnt even that low lol

Went home after a few hours of solid drifting and was really happy! another event local to me in january so I will be ready for that! glad to have my car back and am really motivated to get the exterior looking proper for future events!
Old 12-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #26
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Longer Ramps bro...
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #27
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWGarage View Post
Longer Ramps bro...
no kidding huh? haha. not even my trailer though, just gonna use uhual for this next event and any after. trying to just register the car so i can drive to the events anyway opposed to trailering really
Old 12-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #28
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I was a bit iffy at the start of this thread... Florida and a rather rough looking shell. I'm glad to see that you're on the way to making this thing proper again...

Quote:
lol and heres that guys car from earlier making statements at the event

Ahhh... Now I understand this rolling bag of dicks...

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #29
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
I was a bit iffy at the start of this thread... Florida and a rather rough looking shell. I'm glad to see that you're on the way to making this thing proper again...
thanks man! I will try to do my best. Florida definitely has its fail, however, I will say that the few cars here that win, win hard. and there are some that aren't all over the internet but would blow you away. I don't consider my car to ever be in that category but I'll still try to make it look good anyways. I found out over the weekend that it functions pretty much perfect so I'm going to stray away from overcomplicating the build and instead focus on more seat time and improving my skill with this setup. And use the money instead to make the car look better haha. I appreciate the kind words though man, I will do my best to get it looking proper forsure.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #30
KravingAKouki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
KravingAKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would stay away from uhaul. I used them once, and the trailers aren't made for lower than stock cars, unless you leave your car sitting on 2x4s. The sides of the tracks have 45* angle to hold the tires incase the car slides, and it'll pinch your frame. I had to drive 3 hours home on 2x4s, constantly having to check to make sure they didn't move around. Not to mention having a hell of a time loading and unloading the car. Keep up the progress man, car definitely did a 180 since the first pics of it.
KravingAKouki is offline   Reply With Quote