Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
Differences Between HKS Actuators

So, I noticed HKS has 2 actuator kits available. There's the GT Actuator kit, and this other one that more people seem to buy, which is about half the price.

^ HKS GT Actuator

^ HKS (non-GT) Actuator

What's the differences?

It looks like the purple GT actuator can be opened up, and possibly the spring inside can be replaced with springs of different rates. But, that's just a guess. Does anyone have any additional info on this?

Here's some links:
HKS USA Internal Wastegate Actuator - HKS Actuator
HKS USA GT Actuator Upgrade Kits - HKS GT Actuator

Thanks in advance.

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
not sure of the difference, but i have the standard HKS Wastegate Actuator (the non purple one) on my S15 turbo on my s13 SR, works like a champ! i have mine set at 12psi (which is stock boost on the redtop/blacktop SRs, not 7psi) and i have zeno issues!

adjustable wastegates are handy if you want to keep a maximmum/minimum boost level on your turbo (ie: running 16psi on a boost controller and having it taper back to 12psi). i run one because im not fond of having a visible boost controller.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm seems that most people have no problems using the non-purple actuator... then I wonder what the purpose is for the GT version...

Anyways, Great! Thanks for the advice. Kinda wish the forum didn't remove the whole rep system ha ha

Old 10-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
if your going to spend more money go with an external wastegate, if not use the silver one, it works great....
Drift_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_FX View Post
if your going to spend more money go with an external wastegate, if not use the silver one, it works great....
external wastegate is kind of pointless on internally gated turbos. especially T2 and GT2 series turbos (which the HKS wastegate actuator is made for)

Old 10-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
external wastegate is kind of pointless on internally gated turbos. especially T2 and GT2 series turbos (which the HKS wastegate actuator is made for)
i realize this, i was also implying that they would no longer use an internally gated turbo if they went externally wastegated. i forgot this is zilvia and you need to explain averyhing in detail or else someone may do something stupid...lol my mistake...
Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_FX View Post
i realize this, i was also implying that they would no longer use an internally gated turbo if they went externally wastegated. i forgot this is zilvia and you need to explain averyhing in detail or else someone may do something stupid...lol my mistake...

lol believe it or not (if you havent seen them already), there are bottom mount T2 flanged tubular manifolds that use external wastegates for the SR now.

the waste of time people come up with i swear...

Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I also have the silver one on my Sr20.
I have it set at 10psi, it holds boost real steady, no boost creep.
Works like a true CHAMP!
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
wow thats the first time i've seen that purple one.
looks like you can swap out springs, like an external.
i use the silver one and its super reliable.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
lol believe it or not (if you havent seen them already), there are bottom mount T2 flanged tubular manifolds that use external wastegates for the SR now.

the waste of time people come up with i swear...
i actually have not seen those....lol some people....
Old 10-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

my guess is that the GT is for higher horsepower applications exceeding like 350-400hp. though i didnt think those numbers could really be reached with a T2 series turbo. is there internally gated GT3X series turbos now?

Old 10-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

i had an hks gtrs t28 turbo that was internally gated with the silver actuator and i made 389hp and 365 flbs of torque at 17psi, so that silver actuator will work for about 400hp...

found a t3 internally gated
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...ode=TRB-T3T4-V

only rated for 350hp....lol
Old 10-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

i wouldnt touch a CXRacing turbo with a 20ft pole to be honest...

Old 10-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
i wouldnt touch a CXRacing turbo with a 20ft pole to be honest...
i wasnt saying it was good...... just that i found one...lol
Old 10-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #15
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

I'm pretty sure there's some writing on the HKS Japan website. Their english translated writing doesn't really specify the benefits of one version vs. the other though.

GTACTUATOR UPGRADE KIT /TURBO SUPPORT PARTS | TURBO | PRODUCT | HKS
ACTUATOR UPGRADE KIT /TURBO SUPPORT PARTS | TURBO | PRODUCT | HKS

It looks like the video on the GT Actuator page speaks a little bit about the differences between the two. Anyone know Japanese?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
Prok0
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Prok0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Prok0
A big selling point of those is you dont have to remove the rear section which is threaded to the rod to adjust boost as you did on the older actuator.

If you look you see a threaded shank which you can loosen up the nuts on and shorten or lengthen to adjust boost. On the traditional actuator you need to remove the rear piece which goes over the flapper arm, shorten or lengthen, install, and re-check your boost pressure. So its a bit of a pain.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

^ Ohhhhhh berry good info!