Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
1slowS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
opinions on budget ka-t setup

ive been browsing thru ka-t.org for a while and on here, but i want opinions on a budget setup i might be doing soon.

this car is my daily driver, so it will be nice if i can get this thing going on the weekend. i also track the car atleast every other month.

as far as parts, so far ive though about:

for a kade

ssac bottom mount t25/28 manifold
sr t25/28
ssac turbo elbow
sr 370cc
sr side mount

ive already got a 3" cat back, and will be sourcing a used downpipe, test pipe, and oil line kit.

as far as fmu, i was thinking of safc2, which will be tuned by a friend with a wideband.

im shooting for 180-190hp

any opinions?
1slowS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
awesomenick
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (33)
awesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I think you should use ROM tuning instead of SAFC.

PLMS daughterboards are CHEAP.

You could use the safc for fine tuning or something.

Make sure your KA runs perfect before you turbo it, or you'll have plenty of problems later.

Also, I think you should get a bigger radiator, maybe even an oil cooler.
awesomenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
rc1honda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
rc1honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would say don't do it unless your going to put pistons in it. Every KA-t i have ever seen with stock pistons blows the pistons rings quick.
rc1honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1honda View Post
I would say don't do it unless your going to put pistons in it. Every KA-t i have ever seen with stock pistons blows the pistons rings quick.
Thats because there tune isn't correct. Stock KA pistons are fine let alone the entire engine will hold up to boost fine as long as the tune is good.

Buy a Nistune ECU and scrape the idea of using a SAFC all together, otehr than that you seem to be on the right track.

My KA-T is bone stock internally and has been turbocharged for 1 year 4 months and is driven 750 miles round trip twice a month amongst being my daily driver to.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
^ Thats some good advice right there!
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
nissanracer29
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
nissanracer29 will become famous soon enoughnissanracer29 will become famous soon enoughnissanracer29 will become famous soon enoughnissanracer29 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Its all about having a good tune, and just make sure to do a compression test and check for leaks before you install your turbo. My ka has been turbocharged for 3 months and I haven't had any problems out of it so go for it and enjoy the boosted life!!!
nissanracer29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Whats a budget 240sx? I think that goes along the myths with a Unicorn.....

On topic, all whate everone says...
Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Sexy_Ninja
Leaky Injector

Sexy_Ninja is an unknown quantity at this point
i have this same set up you have.

for engine management i at least a tuned ecu from jwt or enthalpy.

its good for daily driving and very reliable on stock boost. i've had the set up for about a year and no problems.

trust me you'll probably make about 210 whp with that set up.

you can get an ebay dp and ebay outlet arm for cheap, also the jgs oil lines are perfect for your set up. look to spend between 1k-1500 maybe a little more if you do things properly. but diy is always cheaper.

if you have questions just shoot me a pm.
Sexy_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
1slowS13
Zilvia Junkie

1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice
should i really invest into a tuned ecu for 500-600 dollars into a 180-200 whp setup? that somewhat boggles my head. i might be able to get a whole running s14 sr for 1500 so ill see about that.

my compression test yielded 155 psi across all cylinders, which isnt that good for a ka, and also my valve seals are somewhat gone. it smokes a good amount accelerating from a stop.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
awesomenick
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (33)
awesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfectionawesomenick is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Haha don't plan on making that engine turbo without a rebuild. You won't be happy with it.

Listen to UNISA. He's had a super successful KA-T.

Yes, I would use a tuned ECU, not SAFC. I have both though.

SAFC is only good for a little fine tuning, between ROM tunes for me.

If you use Nistune you wouldn't need an SAFC at all.
awesomenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowS13 View Post
should i really invest into a tuned ecu for 500-600 dollars into a 180-200 whp setup? that somewhat boggles my head. i might be able to get a whole running s14 sr for 1500 so ill see about that.

my compression test yielded 155 psi across all cylinders, which isnt that good for a ka, and also my valve seals are somewhat gone. it smokes a good amount accelerating from a stop.
Yes you should anyone turbo'ing a KA-T should invest in a tuneable ECU, even with your horsepower goals, the stock timing map on the KA24DE ECU is not even safe for 6psi, and if you think retarding the dist. is good enough its not you really need to retune the shit out of the stock timing map period. I cant stress enough the importance to have a tuneable ECU.

Im sure there are people that run the stock ECU and will atest to its been safe for 6-7psi but what most cant see is the fact the stock ECU is retarding the shit out of the timing just to keep the engine safe, so you tottally need to redo the timing curves on teh KA24DET big time if you want reliability and your engine to last.

I dare someone to turn off knock sensing on a KA24DET with a lil T25 @ 7psi and run the stock timing map for a 1 year and 4 months, lets see how long your engine last with ~ 32-26 degree timing going into boost and sustained boost @ WOT cause thats what the stock ECU is gonna command, but most of you get saved by the overly sensitive knock sensing and dont even relize it and assume your good to go.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISA JECS View Post
Yes you should anyone turbo'ing a KA-T should invest in a tuneable ECU, even with your horsepower goals, the stock timing map on the KA24DE ECU is not even safe for 6psi, and if you think retarding the dist. is good enough its not you really need to retune the shit out of the stock timing map period. I cant stress enough the importance to have a tuneable ECU.

Im sure there are people that run the stock ECU and will atest to its been safe for 6-7psi but what most cant see is the fact the stock ECU is retarding the shit out of the timing just to keep the engine safe, so you tottally need to redo the timing curves on teh KA24DET big time if you want reliability and your engine to last.

I dare someone to turn off knock sensing on a KA24DET with a lil T25 @ 7psi and run the stock timing map for a 1 year and 4 months, lets see how long your engine last with ~ 32-26 degree timing going into boost and sustained boost @ WOT cause thats what the stock ECU is gonna command, but most of you get saved by the overly sensitive knock sensing and dont even relize it and assume your good to go.
I just quoted it so yall could read this 2x!

This man speaks the truth,

and from my personal experiance from hooking up to allot of different cars with my laptops, I have see that allot of peoples knock sensors have already taken a dump so that would be extra bad for you guys.
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
Sexy_Ninja
Leaky Injector

Sexy_Ninja is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

if there is somethign wrong with the motor now, than turboing it will make it worse in the long run.

i had about 155 psi on my cylinders. i think 145-150 is the bare minimum if your gonna turbo it. you might just want to go sr20 or rebuild the ka. also if you turbo the ka get engine management. management is the difference between a blown ka and an awesome one.
Sexy_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
1slowS13
Zilvia Junkie

thanks for everyones insight! if i go ka-t i might end up with enthalpy or maybe a jwt ecu for my setup..

now i just need to justify keeping the ka and going ka-t or just swapping in a stock sr swap.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
^^I'm so proud of this advice.

"I Approve this message"

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
drifter92
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
drifter92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:

My setup:

T25 @ 8-11LBS
FMIC
HKS BOV
Apexi SAFC II
Stock ECU
Stock MAF
Innovate Wideband
370cc injectors

Played with timing doin pulls and blew the head gasket in 3 hours
drifter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #17
UNITEDMASTER
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
UNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to allUNITEDMASTER is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
thanks for everyones insight! if i go ka-t i might end up with enthalpy or maybe a jwt ecu for my setup..

now i just need to justify keeping the ka and going ka-t or just swapping in a stock sr swap.

Exactly, cause for the effort involved with the set up you listed(std SR stuff),IMHO it not worth it. I would say if you really want to stay KA do a top mount set up,put pistons in it ,a real tune,& make some real power

This is just my 2 cents.all this budget turbo stuff is silly,either ante up and start with a turbo motor or build what you got properly ,then boost that.. Why spend money to replicate a stock SR on a different motor with high miles UNISA JECS is totally on point about the timing related issues with KAT set-ups wich most people have no clue about,it not only takes fuel control to make power but more importantly timing control,theres plenty of band aids for fuel,but no many cheap ones for timing control.

MR JACKSON.
UNITEDMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
itwillboost
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
itwillboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Thats because there tune isn't correct. Stock KA pistons are fine let alone the entire engine will hold up to boost fine as long as the tune is good.

Buy a Nistune ECU and scrape the idea of using a SAFC all together, otehr than that you seem to be on the right track.

My KA-T is bone stock internally and has been turbocharged for 1 year 4 months and is driven 750 miles round trip twice a month amongst being my daily driver to.
My stock block ka-t is over 300whp on just a safc, those are fine if you set that and the turbo setup right.

I think the OP isn't to worried about advice anymore, but seriously there is some false info here. The tune is key and nistune is great but if your using ssac parts don't even bother unless you can reweld it. Again SAFC's are just fine for basic turbo setups.
itwillboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I have a t25 setup with supporting mods and its pretty great... feels better than a sr with the same mods..
Like people say, its all about the tuning and the build quality.
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
Boostin240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Boostin240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Had the JGS kit with 370s and a SAFC tuned by me with a wideband as a daily for over 4 years on 8 psi. Blew it up with 14 psi because I was bored and ready to put my RB25 in.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Same here.. and I have both SR20DET and KA24DE-T. Hard to beat a well planned and executed KA24DE-T build in terms of HP=$$ spent. Nothing wrong which ever you go but if you have a healthy motor I'd boost that than swapping an SR.

SoCal KA24DET/KA24ET Owners
<< Join the FB Group >>
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #22
240dream
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
240dream is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Go top mount so easy to work on. My ebay t3/t4 with top mount manifold 370 injectors tial 38mmwastegate wastgate dumped to atmosphere put down 270hp at 7psi. Tuned withit aem fic.It pulls on my Wrx that's tuned at 16psi. I have graphs if interested
240dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #23
n_my_coupe
Zilvia Junkie

n_my_coupe is not welcome here anymoren_my_coupe is not welcome here anymoren_my_coupe is not welcome here anymoren_my_coupe is not welcome here anymoren_my_coupe is not welcome here anymoren_my_coupe is not welcome here anymoren_my_coupe is not welcome here anymoren_my_coupe is not welcome here anymoren_my_coupe is not welcome here anymoren_my_coupe is not welcome here anymore
Quote:

People with your attitude give me hope
I learned a lot from reading your posts..

97 Kouki FTW
n_my_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
CharlesSot

Trader Rating: (0)
CharlesSot is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Agreed lots of good info here, re-affirming my commitment to rebuilding my ka engine.
CharlesSot is offline   Reply With Quote