Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
Trader Rating: (2)
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Help me help my brother-in-law

My brother-in-law called me to see if I wanted to make some money changing the A/C compressor on his 2000 Xterra. I asked him why and he said he thinks it locked up, cause all of a sudden a belt started squealing and smelled like burned rubber... So I take a ride to his place and look at the beast before he gets home, and the belt is chewed up pretty good, but I can't tell much from just looking. So he gets home and fires it up without the compressor on, then I have him turn it on, and the clutch doesn't engage.

I can't tell if the compressor is locked up, cause the clutch wouldn't engage, and I'm wondering why. I could turn the clutch from the front of the pulley by hand, but I don't know whether or not that was actually turning the compressor. I didn't have my gauges with me, so I couldn't check to see if he had sufficient R-134a. I've been told before that if the system doesn't have enough refrigerant that the compressor won't turn on, or something to that effect.

Anyone have any insight? I know you Cali guys like to just take out your A/C and all (lol), but I'm sure someone has some pointers...

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
xkamikazestormx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
xkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
if there is too little or too much pressure the compressor wont turn on

when you turn the clutch by hand, you are not turning the compressor. just the clutch

basically, when you turn on the a/c, voltage goes through it and magnetizes the compressor which moves the clutch and engages it. so give the compressor direct 12v and see if the clutch catches
xkamikazestormx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
That's gay. That connector is a total pain in the ass to get to. Oh well, we'll try it.

You say if the pressure is too low it may not turn on? Cause my sister was complaining that the A/C didn't get cold enough.

EDIT: Talked to him on the phone, and he said it may have too much pressure, cause they thought it may be low so they put some more in it, and the gauge read that its overcharged.

Overcharging can have serious consequences, right?

Quote:
Quote:
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
xkamikazestormx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
xkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
if there isnt enough pressure, the clutch wont engage. same with if you have too much psi
xkamikazestormx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240 View Post

You say if the pressure is too low it may not turn on? Cause my sister was complaining that the A/C didn't get cold enough.
in that situation, probably low pressure, so the a/c wont actually turn it on. So check the freon levels.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

I'll do that after work tomorrow.

Quote:
Quote:
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!