Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 01-21-2003, 08:02 PM   #1
aqwkmf
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
aqwkmf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what should my next car be?

im looking at either a NA Z32 or RX-7 Turbo II for college....
after college im looking at a FD3 or TTZ....ill be in the USAF so money isnt a issue
aqwkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
96SEChick
Nissanaholic!

96SEChick is an unknown quantity at this point
What will your income be like when you're in college? If you won't have extra money to throw aside for "rainy day" car repairs, I would definitely go for the NA Z32. RX7 Turbo II's are great cars, but the repairs are VERY costly when they're needed. I'm not saying that NA Z repairs are cheap, but w/ it being a non-rotary motor and NA, repairs will be less-frequent and cheaper. With the NA Z32, you can also hopefully save even more money to put towards your after-college car fund and get one bad-ass TT Z32 or FD!!
'00 WS6 Trans Am Bright Red 6-speedFOR SALE - only 29k miles, stock, fully loaded, only $23,999 (NADA $26300)

Green Country Motorsports
Northeastern Oklahoma SCCA
96SEChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:27 PM   #3
Bbandit
Post Whore!

Bbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Bbandit Send a message via AIM to Bbandit
i would have to agree with 96sechick on that one...

but you mentioned money isnt a problem huh?
go get an FC.. when you get out of college, get FD..
why? because FC and FD are my dream cars

==>>TGL GARAGE<<==.. RIP!
S13 coupe KA-T @ 0.5 Bar = SOLD!
A31 Cefiro + SR = Current
Bbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:20 PM   #4
Titan
Zilvia Junkie

Titan is an unknown quantity at this point
I've posted this once, and I'll post it again.

If you are lacking money, DO NOT get the RX-7. Believe me, I wanted to buy one as well, but they are FAR more expensive to keep then the 240 or 300.

I've done alot of research on them and I decided it just isn't worth it, even if my older friend from work was selling his mint 86 FC to me for $1000 Canadian (~$600 US). It had only 139,000 km on it (~87,000 mi), but the motor already needed a rebuild.

In any case, here are the advantages and disadvantages I've found for the RX-7.

Advantages:

Fast, especially the Turbo II
Smooth power band
Great look, unique
Great community

Disadvantages:

- Unreliable (money pit) - contant repairs
- Hell ass expensive parts
- Burns fuel like a mother (the N/A gets 17 mpg tops in the city)
- A guy (Aaron Cake) from my city has a heavily modified custom turbo FC and he says he gets 4-5 mpg in the city
- The rotary motor will only take about 140,000 km with decent maintenance, and about 200,000 km with excellent maintenence.
- They are difficult to pass emissions
- There are other weakpoints on the car (the transmission is overloaded from stock, alternator is weak and brakes constantly, certain fuel rail/line problem that has caused thousands of FC's to catch on FIRE! )
- They run MUCH hotter then a piston engine, and therefore are usually damaged heavily if they overheat even once (warped rotors/housing etc.)
- The engine floods VERY easily (if you start the car, you HAVE to drive it for atleast 10 minutes)
- The engine burns atleast 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles, by nature, as it injects oil into the combustion chamber to lubricate the apex seals.
- EDIT: Oh yeah, and they also have massive electrical problems, many people refer to their dash as being "possessed"

If the FC you are looking at needs a rebuild (if it has over 80,000 mi, trust me, it WILL need one soon) then you can't just replace the APEX seals alone. Due to the fact that you teardown the block you also have to replace ALL the other seals. Don't just count on the seals needing replacement either, more often then not it is wise to replace the rotors and housing too.

Furthermore, if you plan on getting an FD, get the 1994+.. as the 93 has heavily reliability issues.

Sleep Doesn't Drink Beer
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 07:18 AM   #5
TruSlide
Leaky Injector

TruSlide is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TruSlide
get the NA Z32 and save some $ for your next car
HOLY SLIDING SILVIAS BATMAN!
THANK GOD FOR IMPORTS!
^_^

TruSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #6
hookedup240
Zilvia FREAK!

hookedup240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to hookedup240
My next car which I am on pace to get is a 2000-2003 BMW 325ci or 330ci, once i have about 7 g's i'm gonna use that as a downpayment sometime next year.
hookedup240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:55 PM   #7
aqwkmf
Zilvia Junkie

aqwkmf is an unknown quantity at this point
when i go to sell my s13 ill get ~2500 for it....my AFROTC stipend will be at least $250/ month....and whatever else i make working = what i have now....that solves my money part.

thanks for the info on the rx7s but i've been a member of the rx7 forum for 4 years now....i've considered buying a 86 gxl, 87 TII, 89 GTU, 86 Sport.....and my friend had a FD before it was stolen. i've done just about all possible research on 7s i could for the FD is my dream car. im just affriad it will be phased out by the time im done college.

to be exact the pulsating damper is what causes the engine fires. i've taken apart 2 fc motors...just for a learning experience.....

thanks for yout input guys....im leaning for a NA Z32 now but its just the aspect of speed. i know the TII i was going to buy was damn quick...and i've seen some mild moded TIIs at the tracking running low - mid 14s....will the NA Z beable to pull those kind of times. i would like to stay away from n2o to keep from screwing up the motor. i'd like at least a 14 second car.....for now....

with a FD OR TTZ i would defintaly eventually mod it to run 11s and roll cage it. i dont have any desire to go that fast....yet.
aqwkmf is offline   Reply With Quote