Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 01-13-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
Psylent 6 LS

Trader Rating: (0)
Psylent 6 LS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yo yo yo

hey, im thinkin about gettin a 240 and i just stumbled across this site.... i currently own a Mazda MX-6 and im a moderator on mx6.com.... I love my 6 but i want somethin thats RWD and turbo. at first i wanted a DSM but then i realized that the SR20DET is turbo and fairly cheap... $2500 for engine, trans, and ecu... so yea, you'll probally see me around askin stupid questions (i dont know **** about turbos) i do have a few questions which probally sound dumb to you but i dont know **** about turbo cars or 240's... but im willing to learn. 1st, what does a 240 usually run if it has a s13 sr20det? how hard is the swap to do? and should i get the red top or black top? the black top is newer so would it be worth spending the $? any reliability differences between the two? in general, is the sr20det reliable? sorry about the dumb questions but you guys dont have a "new members" fourm to post in...
Psylent 6 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2003, 12:56 PM   #2
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Reliability? Well, things can crop up. Think - why was this car scrapped? The engines will often have been beat on by the previous owners, and things can happen in shipping, especially cracked Crank Angle Sensors and dented oil pans, which cause the majority of SR swap reliability problems and engine failures.

$2500 buys a clip or a motorset, but it doesn't buy everything you'll need or want for a safe and reliable swap. Add in a fuel pump, clutch, exhaust, electric fans, maybe a radiator, misc. hardware, and in many cases a new intercooler, and the costs start to mount. If the chassis is an '89-'90 there are even more parts to buy. Budget $5000 at least - those with more experience than you or I might be able to do it for less, but this way you're less surprised when things get expensive.

Buying an engine from a reputable source, preferrably as a clip with actual mileage shown on the car's odometer, is more important than the age of the engine, IMO. I'd rather get a clean, low mileage, compression-tested redtop than a mystery blacktop.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #3
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
We don't have a "new members" forum, but take some time and read through the Archive and FAQ forum. Most of your answers are there. If you have specifici questions, you might also try the search.
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
Psylent 6 LS

do you need exhaust and what not to get it running? if i could just swap the engine in and put a new fuel pump on would i be good to go? of course i would put other parts on later, but i dont think i could muster up $5000 by spring
Old 01-14-2003, 07:54 AM   #5
negular
Dr. Neg

negular is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to negular Send a message via Yahoo to negular
do it right the first time, but what do I know, I dont have an SR...
Old 01-14-2003, 08:15 AM   #6
Psylent 6 LS

u guys are probally thinking "why does he have to get a SR right after he gets a 240?" and honestly its because im afraid of how slow they are :E i dont mean to insult you guys but i raced one and beat it real bad, at least like 4-5 car lengths. so yea, i dont wanna be driving somethin that slow for long, it would get annoying... :E
Old 01-14-2003, 08:33 AM   #7
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Well, you're not going to win any friends like that.

In addition to a 240SX, I also own a car that's much faster in a straight line. I prefer to drive my 240SX.

If you want acceleration, don't buy this car. Your money is better spent on a DSM or a pony car.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:00 AM   #8
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

Is this a test to see how long people will be nice to you?

Ryan is being a trooper.

My advice - if you don't have $5000 for the upgrade, buy a car that is already fast and make payments. Perhaps a nice Mustang or DSM is just what you need.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:15 PM   #9
Psylent 6 LS

DSM is kinda out of the question cause of the AWD... a 1990 Camaro Z28 would be nice, but i want a turbo car a guy i know owns one, maybe i can get him to let me drive it to see if i like it. i really like the style of the 240, and the interior looks nice too. Maybe i can put up with a mid 8 sec 0-60 for a while and no im not tryin to be a ass.... i just dont think a 8.5 0-60 is fast
Old 01-14-2003, 01:33 PM   #10
X-Iceman
Zilvia Junkie

X-Iceman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to X-Iceman
well LS, most people will say use the search. But ya, use the search and word of advise is dont be askin about quarter mile times. Most people here dont think of the straight line and those that do dont talk much about it.
X-Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:43 PM   #11
Psylent 6 LS

heh, your the first to call me "LS" most people call me Psylent or Psy for short i like to go fast in a strait line. i dont even like taking corners hard cause i dont want to hurt my baby on accident...
Old 01-14-2003, 01:53 PM   #12
Foxcolt
Zilvia FREAK!

Foxcolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Foxcolt
240's are not fast.

240's with sr's or KA+T's are.

If speed is what you want then go that route. Just realize that you can make a lot of other cars a lot faster for cheaper. The 240 trend is still pretty new. Parts are still pretty expensive. After a while you'll find people that are driving faster cars for cheaper. It's all about what you like about 240's. Mine isn't the fastest on the street (yet) however it defenatly isn't the slowest. However I bought this car for different reasons that straight line speed. You'll find that these cars excel in other areas (cornering, looks etc) well beyond other cars much faster. It's all about opinion.

If you've got the buckazoids deffinatly buy an SR right off the batt. You'll find that these are some of the nicest engines in the world. Spec for spec it excels even above the 4g. Only reason why 4g's are usualy faster is because people have been tinkering with em for much longer than SR's. I've learned that this motor along with this car has more potential (in any area) than any other 4 cyl out there. Bar none.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:13 PM   #13
logo20
Zilvia Junkie

logo20 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want a fast 240 is gonna cost you a lot of time and money. You should go with a rx-7, or mr2, turbocharged and fast just like you want it, the only thing I don't like about these cars is that they really small.
logo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 02:46 PM   #14
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally posted by Psylent 6 LS
heh, your the first to call me "LS" most people call me Psylent or Psy for short i like to go fast in a strait line. i dont even like taking corners hard cause i dont want to hurt my baby on accident...
Then why do you want a 240SX?

You don't belong in this car. I don't mean that to be an ass, I mean that to say the 240SX will not do what you would ask it to do.

Buy something with a solid rear axle and a V8, you'll be much happier.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #15
Psylent 6 LS

i love the style of the cars, their interior and the rwd. plus im not tryin to go ungodly fast, just fast enough to beat most of the cars in my area... a 13.7 quarter would do that easily. but, i'll give it s'more thought before i make a decision. although, u better get use to seein me around, i kinda like u guys
Old 01-14-2003, 08:56 PM   #16
Tyler Durdan
Zilvia Junkie

Tyler Durdan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
i dont mean to insult you guys but i raced one and beat it real bad, at least like 4-5 car lengths
Gonna raise the bs flag on that one. Sorry chief...I know your new, but the mx-6 has trouble hanging with integra ls, rs and the other non vtec model (94-01).

Welcome to the board, and I would suggest to wait to do the sr swap or turbo the ka. Buy a 240 (if that's what you decide), and drive it for a while to get the hang of how the car feels. When I bought mine a year ago, I autocrossed the first weekend after the purchase. Did horrible, but gradually learned how the car handles and feels in the turns the rest of the season. Even after a year, this car is still throwing me surprises on the road courses, and street. Get a feel for it while it's underpowered, then go for the turbo to boost the power. That's my $.02, and take it for that.

Turbo for Sale
Tyler Durdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 02:35 PM   #17
Psylent 6 LS

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durdan
Gonna raise the bs flag on that one. Sorry chief...I know your new, but the mx-6 has trouble hanging with integra ls, rs and the other non vtec model (94-01).
LOL! why would i lie? and im not new to cars, im new to this board. i have been a member of mx6.com almost 2 years and been a moderator for about 3-4 months. and i can take VTECH integras and celicas fairly easily. look up specs on the V6, not the 4cyl.....
Old 01-15-2003, 03:46 PM   #18
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

:sigh:

Psy-

We're trying to help. Really we are. But you are making it hard.

1. Dumping on 240s isn't really appreciated. If you owned a Moosetang or a Firechicken, I could accept it. But an MX-6? Car and Driver got the same 1/4 mi. w/ a 240 and an MX-6. The numbers on the two cars are awfully close - iirc, stock the MX6 has about 5 more hp and some benefits from fwd - but those don't amount to much in tests). They run in the same autox and IT classes (where the 240 beats the MX-6). I've seen MX-6 boards. With a v6 and bolt ons, your team is running the same low 15s as the average bolt-on 240. So please, spare me the high and mighty MX6 crap - there are more MX6's running 16s than 240s (thanks to the anemic I4). Now, given two similarly modified cars, my guess is they would run about equal... which is to say both would get smoked by several new SUSs that have been released and a slew of sedans (i.e., NOT FAST).

2. Psy like to go fast in straight line. You'll find that around here, most of us are more into turning at the end of the straights. Appropriately, we chose a car that is not too fast (stock) in a straight line, but does a good job turning. Fortunately, for a hefty sum of money, you can get both straight line and turning ability in one car. You can turn for much cheaper (CRX) or go fast for much cheaper (US V8). But we like the happy middle. If you aren't willing to spend some time and money, you won't do either very well w/ this car. And if you want one - why not go w/ the car that is the better performer in that arena? If it is a straight line you crave, I can't imagine dumping $3000-6000 into a 240, then adding $6000 worth of motor and related upgrades.

3. Options. If you want to do one thing - go fast in a straight line - there are better options for the money. Being an MX6 guy, you must be aware of some narsty 1st gen Probes out there? How about a Conquest or an RX7? All three come w/ a turbo (and 2/3 rwd) for much less than a 240. Personally, for $10K, I could pick up a smokin fast Camaro - say mid-90s SS (and say buh-bye). W/ a 240, you are looking at at least 6-10K just to get a 13.7 (which ain't fast! ) - but w/ a nice V8, that will get you at least 1 second lower still.

In any event, I'm with a few of the others in saying the 240 isn't the car for you. Sometimes, you can't believe the hype. This is such a case. There's a reason there aren't a slew of SR powered 240s out there willing at Import Drag Wars - they have too much balance for that. Unless you are looking for that balance, there is a better option.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:15 PM   #19
Psylent 6 LS

240 = 0-60: 8.5sec Quarter 16.6
MX-6 = 0-60: 7.5sec Quarter 15.6

Those are the figures i keep seeing....... besides, im goin on the fact that i beat a 240 by alot and seein those numbers. so from my point of view i would think that MX-6s are faster. i mean c'mon, why would i trash a car that im wanna sell my car for? but im not gonna argue with u guys, i realize that its your board and you think im talkin outta my ass....
Old 01-15-2003, 11:02 PM   #20
Kreator
Nissanaholic!

Kreator will become famous soon enoughKreator will become famous soon enoughKreator will become famous soon enough
Quote:
240 = 0-60: 8.5sec Quarter 16.6
MX-6 = 0-60: 7.5sec Quarter 15.6

Those are the figures i keep seeing....... besides, im goin on the fact that i beat a 240 by alot and seein those numbers. so from my point of view i would think that MX-6s are faster. i mean c'mon, why would i trash a car that im wanna sell my car for? but im not gonna argue with u guys, i realize that its your board and you think im talkin outta my ass....
I dunnow where you got those numbers from, but the average for a DOHC 240sx is about 16.1 and there are people on this message board that have had it at mid 15s stock. From the same site, the MX-6 is 15.8. So yeah, it's a bit faster, but it'll come down to driver's skill in the end.

But yeah, like everyone said, 240 isn't perfect for drag racing. You'll hit 13s with a number of modifications on either sr or ka and 12s are quite hard and pricey to get to. Considering an all motor civic can run 13s, you might have some troubles racing someone in a straight line.

кто болеет за Зенит, у того всегда стоит!

Last edited by Kreator; 01-15-2003 at 11:05 PM..
Kreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 11:04 PM   #21
burgy240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
burgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burgy240 Send a message via Yahoo to burgy240
Ls just to let you know.....I'm sure you already do but......I can beat a Porsche GT in a geo metro if he misses a shift and then grinds it, slips the pedal and passes out......It doesn't mean the geo is faster it means the other driver wasn't very good. .02 cents
Old 01-16-2003, 07:24 AM   #22
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

:SIGH:

You ARE talking out of your ass!!

You come here, you make a claim, and you back it up with what? Your good, "two years of auto experience" word?

Thanks - with that and $1.73 I can buy a Gigante house blend at Cosi. Show me where you keep seeing those figures.

I say 1995 240sx will do 0-60 in 7.5 sec. and the 1/4 mi. in 15.9. I agree that your v6 is as much as three ticks faster in the 1/4. Now, I might agree with you that the old 1989-90 SOHC 240sx would put down the numbers you cited - but back then the Probe didn't come in a v6.

BUY A MOOSETANG>
Old 01-16-2003, 08:33 AM   #23
Kareem
Leaky Injector

Kareem is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 01-16-2003, 12:20 PM   #24
Psylent 6 LS

ok, u guys dont understand. I got those figures from cars.com. thats one reason i figure the 240 is slow. my second reason is because i raced one and beat it badly. so FROM MY POINT OF VIEW 240s seem to be slow. IF a 240 can do 0-60 in 7.5sec and a quarter in 15.9 those are respectable numbers and i would not consider it slow. but, FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN they are slow. but dont worry, the guy i know agreed to let me drive his 240 so my opinion may change. oh yea, and he claims he screwed up his launch when we raced..... so that could be why i beat him badly. and no i dont drive a domestic.... :lol:

*edit*
if you decide to look up those numbers, look em up for the probe. they used a automatic mx-6 and got 8.? 0-60.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:26 PM   #25
Foxcolt
Zilvia FREAK!

Foxcolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Foxcolt
Who cares

Stockie 240's are slow. They are, anyone who thinks different is just fooling themselves.

Stockie Mx-6's are slow. They are, anyone who thinks different is just fooling themselves.

So the point of argument is??
Old 01-16-2003, 12:46 PM   #26
Psylent 6 LS

lol, any car that does a 0-60 in the 7 sec range is not slow. i consider them "quick" also, i found out more information. the guy i know has a 1990 240, so i take it he has the SOHC engine, that could explain why it was slower than i expected. the stats i found say that the DOHC engine runs 7.9 0-60 and a 16.2 quarter (which i dont consider slow). i want to apolgize to you guys, im not trying to be a troll. i now realize how hard it can be to be new to a board and try to hold a honest arguement. people are quick to assume that your bsing, and "talking out of your ass" i will try to keep my opinions to myself on here from now on.