Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
JoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 Suspension>>>DAILY ONLY

Looking for a good ride with decent handling and longevity. So far i'm looking at the Nismo S Tune kit($660ish), Tokico HPK331 kit($470), or KYB AGX struts and shocks with Swift sport springs ($510).

Yes i searched, couldn't come up with anything foy my criteria. A lot of people say the tokicos are crap but i assume they will last longer with the springs they are designed to work with. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1982 View Post
Looking for a good ride with decent handling and longevity. So far i'm looking at the Nismo S Tune kit($660ish), Tokico HPK331 kit($470), or KYB AGX struts and shocks with Swift sport springs ($510).

Yes i searched, couldn't come up with anything foy my criteria. A lot of people say the tokicos are crap but i assume they will last longer with the springs they are designed to work with. Thanks in advance for any help.
iirc Nismo's stuff is just rebadged from another company whose name escapes me at the moment. I would highly recommend an adjustable shock/spring combo like the KYB's and whatever springs you like. Just don't waste your money on the overpriced Nismo garbage. Urethane suspension bushings make quite a difference too...at least do the front tc rods.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
nismo is not garbage . i suggest you replace everysingle bushing instead of coilovers.

edit: btw get nismo bushings
Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigodom1 View Post
nismo is not garbage . i suggest you replace everysingle bushing instead of coilovers.
I apologize. Garbage is a harsh word. Nismo is an overpriced and re-badged product from another company whose name escapes me at the moment.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
the coilovers may be i dont know.

but the reality of things is that for the most part people install parts and dont truly tune them in properly. all these people that have fully adjustable suspension... ask how many have been corner weighted on scales and the adjusted more to the liking
Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I like my AGXs. I'm on Eibach Sportlines and have no complaints about the ride. But, if you can get your hands on KG/MM springs (yes, that's the name), people say a lot of good things about them. Ride might be a *little* stiffer than some other springs, but they're definitely high quality and make for a good upgrade in the handling department.

And ditto on the bushings.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

JoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really nice
I'm definitely doing the tension rod bushings too, the others will be done later. I work in the parts dept at a nissan dealership so i get good prices on the Nismo stuff. Adjustability isn't a huge concern for me, i just want something i can put on and drive.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
KYBs + eibachs. Also, replace ALL your bushings. trust me, you won't regret it.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmalmiss View Post
I would go Nismo on the bushings but they are pretty expensive, is there any other alternative besides squeaky polyurethane bushings?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmalmiss View Post
Why is everyone suggesting "replace all your bushings" for a daily driver? Replace them with what? poly bushings? solid arms? or new arms with stock rubber?

With the exception of buying brand new stock arms with new rubber bushings, they will all be harsher ride, so whats the point? The only thing I would replace bushing wise for sure is the stock TC rods as those bushings are almost always shot on any 240, and the rubber bushings that go inside the shock towers on top of the shocks (hats?) if you replace the shocks.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks statik, i will just do the tension rod bushings(1 is shot) and the upper strut mounts when i do the suspension. i've had the poly bushings before and wasn't happy with the noise.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
get the nismo r-tune coilovers

they are excellent for street and track and worth every overinflated penny nismo charges for them

most comfortable coilovers i have ever rode on, period.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #13
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Thanks statik, i will just do the tension rod bushings(1 is shot) and the upper strut mounts when i do the suspension. i've had the poly bushings before and wasn't happy with the noise.
i have full es poly bushings in the rear, and they don't make a peep so far, i also greased them up pretty good though, but again, stupid for a daily driver
Old 12-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #14
silnismo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
silnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
AGX + S-TECHS and tanabe F AND R sway bars is a good combo for DD and decent for occasion AUTOX.

as far as lasting longer, AGX have lifetime warranty as long as you got 1.5 or less for you lowering springs.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for the help guys, i'm going to get the Nismo S tune kit and tension rod bushings as a xmas gift to myself. i think i'm going to return my Weds to tirerack and get something a little less pricey to offset the price difference in the suspension.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #16
silnismo
Zilvia Addict

silnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enoughsilnismo will become famous soon enough
in my opinion i think AGX > S-TUNE

s-tunes are not adjustable, where as AGX allows you to somewhat dial it in.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:26 AM   #17
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Tokico HPK331 kit and ST swaybars. Amazed what a difference Sway bars make on these cars.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #18
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by statik View Post
Why is everyone suggesting "replace all your bushings" for a daily driver?...With the exception of buying brand new stock arms with new rubber bushings, they will all be harsher ride, so whats the point?
Quote:
i have full es poly bushings in the rear...stupid for a daily driver
I wouldn't have thought this; all I've ever heard is what an improvement urethane bushings make on driving feel. I figured this would be worthwhile even for daily driving, but I guess not.

Which is good to know, I can probably take it off my list of upgrades to look for. More money for other stuff
Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I would go Nismo on the bushings but they are pretty expensive, is there any other alternative besides squeaky polyurethane bushings?
Buy the black energy busings because they have graphite embedded in the urethane compound. Use a ton of lube. They do not squeak if done correctly.

Last edited by 98s14inaz; 12-11-2007 at 01:47 PM..
Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #20
xamraci
Zilvia Member

xamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enough
springs shocks...

the Tanabe GF spring and some AGXs...for all my friends who dont have coilovers...that has been a great combo...or even tokico blues
GF springs are 170ish and the AGXs are about 450-500 depending on what palce you find them...

I just orderd a prothane bushing kit for my car 110 shipped, I will see how that works out when it arrives next week
Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #21
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB200SX View Post
I wouldn't have thought this; all I've ever heard is what an improvement urethane bushings make on driving feel. I figured this would be worthwhile even for daily driving, but I guess not.

Which is good to know, I can probably take it off my list of upgrades to look for. More money for other stuff
An improvement to handling yes, to ride quality? Not so much. It's just going to equate to a harsher ride, which is not what most consider daily driver friendly, it's not terrible by any means, but why bother with such a ridiculous job of taking out all of your control arms and replacing the bushings (that are probably not even that bade of shape), for a car you drive a->b?

Honestly in the end it comes down to what you're looking for in a DAILY DRIVER and how much time/money you want to spend on it. Personally I could daily a stock s14 with no complaints.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #22
pbcstylez
Nissanaholic!

pbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to pbcstylez
PM'd you with a DD setup

parking lot pimpin...

Seller Feedback here:
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...ight=pbcstylez
Old 12-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #23
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
An improvement to handling yes, to ride quality? Not so much. It's just going to equate to a harsher ride, which is not what most consider daily driver friendly, it's not terrible by any means, but why bother with such a ridiculous job of taking out all of your control arms and replacing the bushings (that are probably not even that bade of shape), for a car you drive a->b?

Honestly in the end it comes down to what you're looking for in a DAILY DRIVER and how much time/money you want to spend on it. Personally I could daily a stock s14 with no complaints.
These cars are 10+ years old. All the rubber bushings should be replaced either with new rubber or urethane. I chose urethane because of the durability and stiffness. With the exception of my stock springs and blown shocks (getting replaced with coilovers as soon as apexi sends them back) my car feels solid. Most of us use our cars to daily drive and weekend events. The urethane rides nicer than the heim joints.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #24
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

Lots of good options, i'm actually considering the function/form coilovers as well so i can have some camber adjustment.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #25
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

After more research and pricing the Nismo kit comes with new upper mounts front and rear which would be about $100 extra on the other setups so the pricing is similar. Does anybody know if the struts are off the shelf or if nissan actually has any input on them?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #26
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
Quote:
i have full es poly bushings in the rear, and they don't make a peep so far, i also greased them up pretty good though, but again, stupid for a daily driver
I also have the ES bushing kit for the rear and they improved my ride. I guess it could just be the difference in how old the bushings they replaced were. But my car definately rode better with the new poly bushings.

And I also have Heim joints on the tension rods and RUCAS.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #27
chituntang
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
chituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nicechituntang is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I would do the bushings too. But I am lazy so I ordered those "racing arms." I guess they would be stiffer but I believe I can take a little more from what I have now: AGX with RSR springs (do not know which one). They were used for 350 and since the stock units were bad (whenever driving over anything, it feels like I hit a wall) and I am poor, I got them. When I adjust the shock (3 to 2 front, 6 to 4 rear), I feel so much better. The car was stiff to a point where it jumps (at least it feels that way).
Old 01-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #28
s13pignose
Zilvia FREAK!

s13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of light
Espelir springs and AGX struts...hit up ebay for both
Old 01-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #29
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

already got Stance GR Sports, thanks for the input though.

My feedback: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=169481
Closed Thread