Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #61
blitzkrgCT9A
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
blitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond reputeblitzkrgCT9A has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Mark's fatlace/drift unit s14 is sprayed. its called Battleship grey. I Love it
blitzkrgCT9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #62
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW20Racer View Post
ive heard about rolling on paint, but never looked into it too much. what sort of kit do you use and where can you get it? and cost too.. im really wondering how you roll on paint and it doesnt streak/run...

edit: finally justified that 800th post...
it's definitely not a kit, it's just rustoleum thinned out. if i get my s13 running in the next few weeks, it's getting a roll-on paint job.
Hot Rod did it to a ford falcon for a grand total of $98 with all equipment and supplies included. and here's a popular thread about the process
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

another
http://forums.hotrod.com/70/6338771/...ion/index.html
Old 03-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #63
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

SW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
it's definitely not a kit, it's just rustoleum thinned out. if i get my s13 running in the next few weeks, it's getting a roll-on paint job.
Hot Rod did it to a ford falcon for a grand total of $98 with all equipment and supplies included. and here's a popular thread about the process
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

another
http://forums.hotrod.com/70/6338771/...ion/index.html
doesnt seem to be too bad...i may just go this route. + on the links fo sho
SW20Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #64
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i read some people had shit results on that roller job, but then again these where import car people, probably didnt have the patience to wait and do a quality job like the hot rod guys
Old 03-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #65
kahlistrophic
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
kahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of lightkahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of lightkahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of lightkahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of lightkahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of lightkahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of lightkahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of lightkahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of lightkahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of lightkahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of lightkahlistrophic is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
even with the spray paint on that red coupe, it takes time..and yes alot of practice on ....uhh...model cars... each layer of paint was wet sanded with 800 grit before another layer was added..and then the final layer was wet sanded with 2000 grit and then buffed a couple weeks after painting.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #66
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post
i read some people had shit results on that roller job, but then again these where import car people, probably didnt have the patience to wait and do a quality job like the hot rod guys
TRUTH. look at 60% of cars on this site. or any import-specific site. ramshackle shit.
look at MY s13. what a pile of fuck. but when i was younger, when the car ran, i didn't take my time.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #67
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Roller paint jobs come out like shit if you don't have the patience for them.

They are VERY time consuming.

You'll spend HOURS wetsanding to have an "okay" finish.

If I had to decide between roller and rattle can, it would be rattle can.

But, now that I own actual paint equipment, rattle can jobs can suck a fatty.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:40 PM   #68
gottrees
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
gottrees is close to perfectiongottrees is close to perfectiongottrees is close to perfectiongottrees is close to perfectiongottrees is close to perfectiongottrees is close to perfectiongottrees is close to perfectiongottrees is close to perfectiongottrees is close to perfectiongottrees is close to perfectiongottrees is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i would say dont do it.
if u paint your car later in the long run. you're quote will deff depend on how your primer is.

base fact is you want a fresh even layer of primer/ prep b4 you get your car paint.

thats just me.
gottrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #69
DaPCWiz
Zilvia Addict

DaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond reputeDaPCWiz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DaPCWiz Send a message via MSN to DaPCWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DaPCWiz
I had rattle canned the back of my car so I wouldn't have a multicolor car until I got my paint job. looked decent at first. Got crappy after a few months. Buffed it, looked okay for a little while. Then I said f--- it and got it painted. I plan to rattle can my S13 and keep it like that for a while (track beater).

pics of the s14 w/ rattle can:
(wing / trunk / rear bumper / sideskirts / lip are all rattle can)
(front fender is a different black from the rest of the car, cuz I picked it up from a junk yard)

pics of the s14 after the paint job:

http://blog.dapcwiz.com
DaPCWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #70
silviaz
Zilvia Junkie

silviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-known
You can't judge by a picture if the paint is really or not. A rattle can paint job will always look faded. Ok, the first 2 months it looks shiny but after that, no way. You'll see the clear to peal off, the color will fad easily... etc
silviaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #71
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
rattle can does not have clear in it so it will not pill off

if you do a good rattle can job and seal it with good clear coat and not rattle can clear coat it can stay looking good.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #72
sac
Zilvia Addict

sac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymoresac is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post

if you do a good rattle can job and seal it with good clear coat and not rattle can clear coat it can stay looking good.
^^ totally agree. Patience on prep, paint, finish is the key. However if its a beater, or track car, proper prep, rattle can, rattle can clear works just fine. (in my opinion anyway.)
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:19 AM   #73
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
meh i got some aero pieces and rattle canned them. all used pieces so i don't care too much.

orange peel / dust like mad. probably had something to do with painting in 30 degree weather on my windy ass balcony. lol

probably won't do this again. need a non windy non dusty non cold place to paint. in other words, if you have the space to do rattle can properly, you could probably just get a gun and compressor and do it right.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #74
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy View Post
you could probably just get a gun and compressor and do it right.
the thing is, no matter how you paint your own car its 100000% about prep. If your lazy and dont care as much it doesnt matter if you use a bomb ass paint gun if you dont do the prep it will look like crap

if you prep really well you can make a rattle can job look really really good
Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #75
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
I refinished my friends trunk with rattle cans, but this is a trunk. Not one rattle can is touching the exterior of this car.

What it started off as:

Sanded and masked:

Primered:

Light 1st coat(Not wet sanded):

Full 2nd coat and clear coat(Not buffed yet):

On this car:

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #76
silviaz
Zilvia Junkie

silviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:

If y ou are intelligent, you'll put clear after that..... If you put only paint, it'll be ugly like my ass.

anyway, 90% of the clear in cans will peal of after a year.
silviaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #77
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Ooo i forgot!!

I rattle canned my engine bay

was originally burgundy

Rustoleum appliance epoxy paint..
Clean/prep the bay while engine is out..

Car painted by maaco
Old 03-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #78
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
the thing is, no matter how you paint your own car its 100000% about prep. If your lazy and dont care as much it doesnt matter if you use a bomb ass paint gun if you dont do the prep it will look like crap

if you prep really well you can make a rattle can job look really really good
prep is important yes. any slight imperfections on the unpainted piece become glaringly obvious when you paint. i'm not denying it can look good.

but if you got a garage to do all this in, at the right temp, without wind and dust, and you're going to do a shitload of prep work... it seems silly to do all that and then cheap out on the paint.

its like installing high quality suspension and brakes and then running on all season brand x 195's
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #79
khmer1
Zilvia Junkie

khmer1 is not welcome here anymorekhmer1 is not welcome here anymorekhmer1 is not welcome here anymorekhmer1 is not welcome here anymorekhmer1 is not welcome here anymorekhmer1 is not welcome here anymorekhmer1 is not welcome here anymorekhmer1 is not welcome here anymorekhmer1 is not welcome here anymorekhmer1 is not welcome here anymorekhmer1 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge_Monster View Post
This is the only one that came out good

i like it damn i wonna do this to my beater 94 max for some reason but nah not my 240
khmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #80
HyperTek
Post Whore!

^i can picture some white guys with mullets rockin that lol
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #81
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Semi-flat black is easy to rattlecan nice and smooth and it generally wipes clean. Krylon is the best bang for the buck but Wurth makes some really, really nice SFB trim paint that would stand up to cones and bumper cars.

Everything else has far too much orange peel. I absolutely hate cheap-ass paint jobs that pretend to look like decent paint jobs from 15 feet.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #82
BustedS13
Post Whore!

alright, let's talk prep for a minute. how do you guys sand?

bondo (necessary, shut up), sand up to 220, primer, sand up to 220, primer, sand up to 400, paint, wetsand? or should ANY wetsanding occur before paint? should i be wetsanding bondo?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #83
irax
Post Whore!

wet sanding every layer is good but ALLOT of effort.

I mean look up that thread about the $50 paint job, roller paint uses allot of layers and wet sand often.

but wet sanding the last layer of primer, base, and clear will yield good results too.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #84
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Rattle Can painted my engine bay

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #85
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Quote:
wet sanding every layer is good but ALLOT of effort.

I mean look up that thread about the $50 paint job, roller paint uses allot of layers and wet sand often.

but wet sanding the last layer of primer, base, and clear will yield good results too.
so dry sand up to the last layer of primer, then wetsand, and then wetsand the base coat? you don't just spray base, spray clear, and then wetsand?

damn painting
Old 03-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #86
Naughty240
Zilvia Member

Naughty240 will become famous soon enoughNaughty240 will become famous soon enoughNaughty240 will become famous soon enoughNaughty240 will become famous soon enoughNaughty240 will become famous soon enough
Just say no to the can!

^ If its single stage you sand once at the end once cured.

If its basecoat/clearcoat you can sand the color coat between coats. About 15 min if you have a fast reducer in the paint. (grit from 1000 to 1200 is what I use)

For sanding the clear you use 1500 then buff back the shine

DONT RATTLE CAN EXTERIORS!!!!!

Someday its gotta be sanded off because its a terrible base to start from. If you like the look at least spray down a coat of epoxy based primer. At least you will have the best starting point.

Last edited by Naughty240; 03-17-2008 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: missed a word
Naughty240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #87
HyperTek
Post Whore!

How is this achieved?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #88
irax
Post Whore!

flat blue and a mat clear coat?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #89
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post

How is this achieved?
that was a cover car in super skeet or something a year ago or so. it's a BASF carizzma color.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #90
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

This was about 2 years ago. The hood is faded now but the bumper still looks pretty good.
I barely used enough clear on the hood cause I ran out and said fuck it. But if you use plenty of clear the rattle can job can easily be just as good as spraying a car.
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote