Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
JAStirrett
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
JAStirrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some headlight help

Ok, I know what's coming when I say this, it's a headlight issue. I have already accomplished the basics and have done a little advanced troubleshooting and I'm stumped.. Here we go..

Problem:
Left Headlamp stays on while ignition is completely off

Troubleshooting completed:
- Remove and clean contacts inside the "Lighting Switch" (which is just the lights and blinker box).

-Next up, the diagram. From the left headlamp, there is 3 wires, Pink, Green/Yellow, Red/Blue

Pink - Retract Relay - 1
G/Y - Lighting Switch
R/B - Lighting Switch and in series to the Headlight Timer

-At this point I have already cleaned the contacts in the Lighting Switch, so I figured I would remove Retract Relay - 1 and wa-lah, the light goes out.

-I then noticed that basically every ground is wired in to the body grounds, I made sure these weren't loose corroded, etc.

-So, now I'm thinking, how is this thing still getting power? Which it looks like it's a short to power because it is dim but when you actually turn the lights to on, it gets brighter.

-Start from power source? Sure thing.. I pulled the 5A fuse under the kick panel and the light is still on.

-Looking at the FSM, I removed the headlamp timer also, the light remains on with the headlamp timer out and the fuse out.

-The only thing I have been able to do to get the light to go out was remove Retract Relay -1.

-So, then you look to see where Retract Relay - 1 is getting power and it is also in series with the fogs which get their power from looks like the retractor switch, but when I remove that, which is on the passenger side, the light remains on.

-Last option, that I can notice, unless I'm missing something, check Retract relay - 4. Removed the relay, light remains on.

References used:
http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-fi...s-t280461.html

Wiring diagram in the FSM

JAStirrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links