Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #1
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
A New Edge Mustang TLC Shade Tree 'Build'

Had a hankering for a project car.

240's in my area are as most notice ridiculously expensive with a stock ka in it.

I wanted a 350z, as they are the new 240 but did not have the patience to wait one out. That was probably a mistake.

Figured I would give a mustang a try. plentiful, rwd, cheapish, v8, my friend got one as well.

I ubered out to see this a mustang with cash in hand from 'offer up'

On the test drive I noticed it needed some front end work and the input shaft on the transmission was bad and causing a whine in gears 1-3. Since it cleared up in 4th gear, I figured this was the issue.

Screw it, I didn't see any rust on the frame, it was black with no bs sunroof, it ran fine, ac worked and it was the cheapest gt in my area. Granted I rushed the sale, my uber driver was super weird and the sale did not take place in the best neighborhood.

The guy seemed honest but clearly knew nothing about cars, I paid 3400 for it and drove it home.

Drove it around for 2 days and it was doing fine, on 3rd day it broke down on me, overheated. Turns out the thermostat was bad.

At that point I figured I would replace the thermostat, waterpump and dd while waiting to do the transmission.

Sold a car, had money for a rebuilt transmission (tr3650). Sprung for that.

Then noticed this rust on the frame rail/strut tower up front. shit.

I took a closer look and it was everywhere. At this point I decided to take the engine out with the transmission and see how bad the damage really was - again shit.

The damage on both sides was bad, Rust everwhere, I comenced with cutting the bad parts out and didn't stop until no more rust was to be found, this involved eventually dropping the k-member.

I then I went to lowes and picked up 1/8" thick carbon steel to perform the repair. The tools I used was an angle grinder to cut the pieces and a dewalt drill bit, the best they had.

I was welding with flux core on a eastwood mig 135, I welded both sides of everything. My welds improved as the project progressed but all welds are solid.

Made crush sleeves and boxed it in

laying some bead

Various progress pics:

Passenger side done pre-paint, I painted the inside and coated with a rust inhibitor oil after completion:

Driver's side done in engine bay

Driver side in wheel well:

Now that the rust was repaired, I set to giving the engine all new seals, noticed a broken chain guide in the oil pan, so replaced that

The chain kit I got was from ebay and although the chain was fine, some of the guides were thinner than oem and the tensions were garbage I replaced the broken guide and reused some of the old guides as they were just better. I replaced the shit tensioners with ones from advanced that were good quality, carquest.

Rebuilt transmission arrived during this time

I gave the car a chromoloy light weight flywheel, exedy stage 2 pressureplate/clutch, oem pilot bushing while at it. I also replaced the clutch fork, look at this wear on the throwout bearing tension spring.

Got some bay headers mounted those on. Folks said speed daddy was ok, well they needed to be decked and the holes all enlarged, then they fit ok, I wouldnt do it again. I got speeddaddy to refund me 50 bucks.

Gave the car a new steering rack, steering shaft, poly bushings on the control arms, sway bar end links, differential pinion shaft seal, brakes all around, stainless lines

She's almost ready to be back on the road.

I hope you all enjoyed.
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links