Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
TylerFerrara
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
TylerFerrara is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
SR20det Oil issue

So yesterday i started the car as usual and let it sit for a bit to warm up, after about a minute of idling i hear a "POP!" Which sounded like a rubber hose popping off a connection/blowing up. So i get out, pop the hood, and look under the car to find a large puddle of oil. So i tried to determine where this was going from and it seems like the turbo line. Any idea as to what happened or where else the oil may be coming from? Just trying to get some outside opinions before i pull the motor out (especially incase i dont have to)
TylerFerrara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
nissanfreak317
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
nissanfreak317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Let me lay it our for you. Usually when a thread like this pops up everyone decides that it's to time to let you know how much they despise threads like this, but they usually don't tell you why. So, I will tell you why. When you are on the internet and you are consulting the masses on a tech forum (Zilvia especially) you need to provide enough information so that we know what the hell you're talking about. Also, it prevents us from surmising that you are a one armed nutless monkey. For starters, you should tell us what kind of car you are working on, then you should tell us what engine you are currently attempting to destroy, then you could provide us with additional background information about the current situation. Little tidbits like "As soon as I noticed oil gushing from my engine I shut it off before looking for the leak" go a long way. To sum it all up, we are not psychics, we are not therapists, and we are certainly not going to answer your question with the little information that you just provided. Please try again.

Have decent pop-up front to trade with oem hood + vis racing carbon fiber hood if interested.
nissanfreak317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
TylerFerrara
Zilvia Member

As the title says its an sr20det. S13 blacktop all stock except a megan exhaust manifold that came with the car. Shut the car off as soon as i heard the popping noise. The oil seems to be coming from the driver's side near the turbo. I didnt really have a chance to look too much due to rain. Also i apologize for me previous post im just trying to see if its a common issue or not before pulling the whole motor out. All stock fueling and turbo lines. I believe a #63 (or 62 not home right now) ECU. I think thats pretty much it...s13 to s13 sr wiring specialties upper and lower harnesses. Let me know if anything else is needed ill answer as best i can. Again like i said stock t25 and turbo lines and im pretty sure this is where its coming from but am confused as to why this would explode just simply from starting the car
Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
nissanfreak317
Zilvia Junkie

The stock SR20det turbo lines are prone to failure. They are brittle and crack/break whenever they want. One of my coolant lines went for no real reason at all. Buy some of those fancy stainless braided lines and replace the stock ones and you should be fine. No pulling engine, no more oil on the driveway.

There really is no other place I can think of that would spit oil out on that side of the engine.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
TylerFerrara
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanfreak317 View Post
The stock SR20det turbo lines are prone to failure. They are brittle and crack/break whenever they want. One of my coolant lines went for no real reason at all. Buy some of those fancy stainless braided lines and replace the stock ones and you should be fine. No pulling engine, no more oil on the driveway.

There really is no other place I can think of that would spit oil out on that side of the engine.
Alright thanks i was unaware that they were shitty (i mean i know they are old) but thats good news i guess haha. I mean it sucks that it broke but at least its an easy fix. Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
nissanfreak317
Zilvia Junkie

Might want to just take a peek at the drain tube from the turbo to the oil pan while you're in there. Those are just held on my a hose clamp but don't see much pressure. Still a possible issue though.

Have decent pop-up front to trade with oem hood + vis racing carbon fiber hood if interested.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
TylerFerrara
Zilvia Member

Alright will do. It did sound like a pop like a rubber hose blew off of something