Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Options13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
Options13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
rear molding for s13 hatch

So i'm in the dilemma of wanting to replace my rear qp windows on my hatch with 180sx windows.

My question is am i able to get the seal to come out in one piece and re-use it or is that like a 50/50 chance?

I wish the damn dealership still provided these seals..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Levan. B
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
Levan. B is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
If you have someone remove the glass that is really meticulous they can be taken out without harming the window seals. It's a pain in the ass from what I've heard but it's been done plenty of times. Forewarning though, they never seal up to the panel as they were from the factory. The clips that are supposed to center the window usually break when they're removed.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Options13
Nissanaholic!

Options13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the roughOptions13 is a jewel in the rough
god damnit, someone has to have a certain way, lol
Old 01-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the clips are useless, they are only really good for centering the windows and possibly, keeping them a bit snug while the adhesive cures.

as for the window "seals" there is no such thing, a seal does not exist. you're referring to the weatherstripping which is bonded to the glass. its sold as a complete assembly.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Options13
Nissanaholic!

so the weather stripping is bonded to the glass from the factory?

would i be wasting my time if i bought 180x windows and tried to remove them with the weatherstip without damaging them?

Is there anyway to heat them up and pull them apart?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #6
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
dub40sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Dont try some sketchy shit. just find a glass dood that knows what hes doing (surprisingly difficult cause so many are hacks)

So you HAVE 180sx quarters already? Is the encapsulation (what you are referring to as the seal "arf arf") still good? If you are trying to pull the glass out in one piece they are super easy to use an extractor on. It looks like a sawzall with a spatula on it.

Open door
Pull weatherstrip
Unscrew retain for weatherstrip
pop off black trim
extract from there
or if you have the right stuff you could T handle it out with wire

Only thing is if they arent careful they could wreck some paint.
dub40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Options13 View Post
so the weather stripping is bonded to the glass from the factory?

would i be wasting my time if i bought 180x windows and tried to remove them with the weatherstip without damaging them?

Is there anyway to heat them up and pull them apart?
Have you looked at a factory 240SX quarter window before? Look at it carefully and you will understand. There is rubber bonded around the perimeter of the glass. When that rubber deteriorates, you've got a situation... that is, if you're restoring a car.

Heat does not work on urethane sealants. Glass guys have special tools that can remove them fairly easily. The only items that get damaged are the clips which IMO, are not too important.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
slowvia
Zilvia Junkie

slowvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Go see the guys at A1 Auto Glass on W6th, they do great work and should be able to get you taken care of in a day. The bigger guy that works there is also very patient with questions, I've talked with him plenty of times.
slowvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
Options13
Nissanaholic!

awesome thanks phil!!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Is your car a 180SX?
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
Options13
Nissanaholic!

it's a just a s13 hatch, but i'm putting in 180sx glass.