Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
tommanchu

Trader Rating: (0)
tommanchu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5lug conv. problem w/ spindle

so i did do some searching and i couldnt find the answer i needed. here we go

doing my 5 lug conv on my s14 base model, and during the front i found out that the bearing in my "ebay hubs" didnt fit the spindle,the bearing is too SMALL, well luckily for me the hub is a 2 piece so the bearing is changeable. made my trip to autopart store and ordered 2 s14 bearings, and they dont fit! in fact the bearing is too SMALL for the spindle .. they look identical to the original ebay hub bearings. so i went back and had them measured and compared to the original 4 lug hub & bearing and they could even find it in any book or online, the part number on the inside wrote "hub 110-14" what am i missing here? should i just order new s14 oem knuckles/spindles? or do i need to order completely new hubs?

if anybody could help me out i would greatly appreciate it, and if theres a thread that covered this please link it. thanks!
tommanchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
stupid question maybe, but there is nothing remaining on the spindle from the orginal hubs right? no bearing collars or anything?

what brand did you buy, i bet you got S13 front conversion hubs.. the knuckle has a smaller shaft than the s14(very minor difference, but enough to run into the problem your having)
Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
tommanchu

the spinde is completely clean with the exception of axel grease, i bought them from a guy at a meet who said they were just an ebay brand. when i found out they didnt fit i assumed i got burned and that they were for an s13, so i would just change out the bearing and be done with it. but it didnt work out that way
Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you sure the new bearings you got were for the s14?

My recommendation, is to sell off the front S13 5 lug hubs you have, and get some Cotano S14 hubs..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/240SX-5-Lug-...30618970&rt=nc

Ive been running the cotanos for over 2 years with zero issues and zero bearing noise.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:20 AM   #5
tommanchu

yes im positive they were for s14, which makes me wonder if i even have the correct spindle. however everything im reading is telling me to just get an s13 spindle and knuckle because its slightly smaller than the s14, so my hubs should fit, ... idk.. its a mess dude
Old 10-16-2014, 02:35 AM   #6
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Why are you buying cheap generic ebay crap in the 1st place? That is your 1st problem. You are going on speculation from some guy you do not know and could care less if he burned you and is now off spending your money.

If you have any nice friends willing to let you test fit your generic hubs on their s14 you can try that first to see if the hub or the spindle is the issue.

My advice is stop going with generic unknown crap. OEM nissan front SE 5-lug hubs are like $100 bux each NEW from the dealer. Spend the extra cash and get it done right the 1st time around. At least with OEM you won't have to worry about bearings pre-maturely wearing out like the generic shit that is everywhere.

IF the oem hubs still do not fit, then I would source used front spindles from either a junk yard or start looking for part outs in the for sale section.

OEM hubs fit like a glove with out any play. I only use OEM since the total price difference was $50 between the generic and oem. I have had mine for over 5yrs with out any issues.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
zhigaigxe

zhigaigxe is an unknown quantity at this point
At least with OEM you won't have to worry about bearings pre-maturely wearing out like the generic shit that is everywhere.
zhigaigxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #8
mogli9000
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (68)
mogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Those hubs are meant for s13 front spindles.

The snout of the s13 spindle is different than the s14.