Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
BidanianBros240

Trader Rating: (0)
BidanianBros240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 240 New to 240's New to all this stuff

I finally decided to buy a little car (owned a 1993 ford bronco my whole life) and have no clue what I am doing. No 4x4 no lift kits wtf is a coilover!? Anyway I just got a 1990 240sx as a fixer upper but I've got a lot of questions. First off this thing is so low that I don't know how to get under it or get a jack under it. Secondly it has a coil over system and I just want to bring it up a few inches, not a fan of scrapping on speed bumps (even coming at them at an angle). How do I go about doing that? The part that really scares me is the differential because it is welded. I want to put a limited slip in it and take out the weld job. I've heard horror stories about them, I don't like the way I chirp tires in parking lots and I don't really trust it. Lastly I'm sure I can put one in myself (if I can get it up and take off the diff) but I can't really find what lsd to put in that doesn't require getting a whole new rear end. Ideally I want to just put in lsd gears and keep everything else the same. Thanks in advance for all your help!
BidanianBros240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
FourtyKid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
FourtyKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I get my jack under the car by putting it behind the front tire (or from in front of the rear tire) and sliding it under the car from there. Get a low-fitting jack.

Direct Fit LSD's:
91-93 240sx VLSD
89-90 JDM S13 VLSD
96-98 JDM S13 VLSD
JDM S14 and S15 VLSD (with S13 diff cover swapped on)
R33 Skyline (R34 as well?) VLSD (with S13 diff cover swapped on)
95-98 240sx VLSD (with S13 diff cover swapped on)
1/94+ J30 VLSD (with S13 Diff cover swapped on)
Old 08-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
idlafie
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
idlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not sure if you are interested but you could pick up a set of plastic low profile car ramps. It would make it easier to lift the car up a few inches to slide a car jack underneath.

You can pick up a set here....
Plastic Car Ramps

Your other option is to make your own set of low profile ramps...
How to make your own low profile car ramps - CrossfireForum.org

As for raising your car a few inches, did your coil-over set come with a adjusting wrench?? You could raise the car a few inches by using the wrench.
If you don't have one, you can pick one up, (or a set) on Ebay..
Coilover Wrench | eBay

Anyhow, hope this helps...

ID
Old 08-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
This forum has tons of information at the click if a button. Do yourself and us a favor and research. There is a small questions thread in chat that you should use for most of your questions unless it is very technical.

Welcome to Zilvia, hope you can handle some abuse...
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
yodc
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (23)
yodc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
This forum has tons of information at the click if a button. Do yourself and us a favor and research. There is a small questions thread in chat that you should use for most of your questions unless it is very technical.

Welcome to Zilvia, hope you can handle some abuse...
You may want to just read the entire small questions thread.

Honestly, if you cant get the car on jack stands, cracking open the diff and properly installing your "lsd" is over your head. Find an open diff or somthing used thats been installed and broken in, then just pop that pumpkin in.... After you nail some 1x10 planks together to make a ramp so you can get your jack under the car. Stack em biggest to smallest, nail that shit together and drive up on it.

Good luck
yodc is offline   Reply With Quote