Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
The Stig
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
The Stig is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s14 Hollowing main cat and replacing dummy cat

On an S14 KA, is there any issues hollowing the main cat if the dummy cat is replaced with a real one? When I bought my car the previous owner had that setup, presumably the main cat has gone bad.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240sxScores
Dont hollow out your cat, or push a straight pipe through. When you open all the inside area you'll just create turbulence in the exhaust flow trying to exit lose power.
240sxScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxScores View Post
Dont hollow out your cat, or push a straight pipe through. When you open all the inside area you'll just create turbulence in the exhaust flow trying to exit lose power.
Horrible. Loosing power by creating turbulence is the stupidest thing ever written on here.

Stig - Yes. Plenty of people run an aftermarket converter in place of the resonator on S14s, especially those that run a header and delete the converter in the downpipe. It works fine. Only issue you may have (to keep the CEL out) is to extend the rear O2 harness and weld a bung in for the sensor on the rear section of the converter.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
Horrible. Loosing power by creating turbulence is the stupidest thing ever written on here.
No it's not. Any time you increase then decrease the piping size you create back back pressure by stalling out the flow.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heres my take on it. A " down pipe that connects the upper part of the manifold that includes a flex pipe will properly eliminate the primary cat.

Or you can get a cheap header (Xtune, but it was 100% perfect fitment) I got mine for 150 shipped.

How can you punch out the catalyst material when the pipe is curved? if you have ever holled out a 92-00 civic cat its not that easy, since the combs break off in chunks.

On the flip side there was a pipe insert that was sold on summit racing that fit inside your exhaust pipe to "swirl" the air thus lowering the dBrating of the noise by 10dB's with 0 loss in power. However durring a "bend" in the exhaust I would rather have it be smooth.

Get a proper header, then get a carsound cat. Use the 14mm to 18mm spark plug fouler adaptor and call it a day. No need to extend the wiring.
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
I have a S14 with my stock Cat and I replaced the hollowed cat with a hi-flow cat. My car runs fine. I track my car every month.
And like Bigskye later down the road I'll replace the downpipe.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
I have a S14 with my stock Cat and I replaced the hollowed cat with a hi-flow cat. My car runs fine. I track my car every month.
And like Bigskye later down the road I'll replace the downpipe.

IMO I would just replace the whole exhaust manifold assembly. The KA OE exhaust manifold is heavy, and doesnt line up well to most 3" downpipes.

Ill stand by and say im very happy with the Xtune header I got for the S14, even with a snapped stud the manifold is very healthy. I plugged the lower O2 port with an M18x1.5 Oil drain plug I found at o'reillys. The xtune header was about 1/4th the weight of the OE manifold assmbly.

However next time I do it, im going to have a flex pipe welded in on the collector side, and replace the 2bolt flange with a larger faced flange, that doesnt have the slotted bolt holes.
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Tenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i would just replace the whole car.

i replaced headers and had a resonated test pipe when i had a KA in my car for a while. worked fine, lost a bit of gas mileage, but that was because it had more throttle response so i put my foot into it more. whenever i gingered it on ice goin about 50 for 3 hours i got well over 30 MPG.
Tenchuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsyke View Post
IMO I would just replace the whole exhaust manifold assembly. The KA OE exhaust manifold is heavy, and doesnt line up well to most 3" downpipes.

Ill stand by and say im very happy with the Xtune header I got for the S14, even with a snapped stud the manifold is very healthy. I plugged the lower O2 port with an M18x1.5 Oil drain plug I found at o'reillys. The xtune header was about 1/4th the weight of the OE manifold assmbly.

However next time I do it, im going to have a flex pipe welded in on the collector side, and replace the 2bolt flange with a larger faced flange, that doesnt have the slotted bolt holes.
Yeah I've taken out and had a meagan header thing on for a bit. Hated it put the old one back one for now till I get my turbo stuff.
2 of my stud snapped too... D=
Either my whole exhaust system is being redo or my body damage. I think it's my body first... Anyways.

Well I had to weld my flanges to my cat. So I have a 2.5" going in and 3" going out so it fits perfectly.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote