Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
97240sxle

Trader Rating: (0)
97240sxle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nismo value appreciation?

This is a question I have been wondering about and where better to ask than here. Do you think Nismo editions like the 350z and 370z will increase in value over time? And when I mean time I don't mean weeks, months or years, but decades. I know there are only 1582 350z Nismos left (18 were totaled) and an undetermined amount of Nismos in the 370 platform. What do you knowledgable chaps think?
97240sxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
Only if they're unmolested and don't have high mileage, but that's just my reasoning when you look at survivor cars from the 60's. Nobody cares about a '70 Malibu, but if it's a 454 Chevelle SS, people foam at the mouth.

That being said, a Nismo Z today is nowhere near what the 454 Chevelle was back in the day, in terms of clout and automotive buzz.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wont increase over the original sticker price
but i dont think it would depreciate like the original nissan 350z did.

c'mon, you know low production numbers give nissan enthusiast raging hard ons

you thinking of getting one OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
97240sxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviasandbeer View Post
wont increase over the original sticker price
but i dont think it would depreciate like the original nissan 350z did.

c'mon, you know low production numbers give nissan enthusiast raging hard ons

you thinking of getting one OP?
Not necessarily just more curious. Why Asian imports (nismo 350) won't increase like the mustang boss 302. Both had high production numbers of other trims while the boss was limited to 6,800, 2012-13 (regular 302) while the the Z was limited to 1600, 2007-2008 Nismos.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
97240sxle

And not to berate or belittle any one who does so but many 350z Nismo buyers I've seen out there buy it and then go mod crazy. As the second poster was saying if a car is left unmolested I an see it increasing in value. Wonder how many out there are left in stock form?!
Old 10-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
kikcaffine
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
kikcaffine is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think you'd find first year 350z's with low mileage in 30-40 years be worth more than a similar nismo z.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
97240sxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
I think you'd find first year 350z's with low mileage in 30-40 years be worth more than a similar nismo z.
I've seen a couple 07 Nismos for sale with 5-10k miles but the prices range from 29,990 to 32,500. I understand these particular car don't devalue like others but these prices are ridiculous. He'll at that price I might as well go to the dark side and buy a low miles Boss Mustang
Old 10-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
i think if you bought one, and then sealed it in a container for about 40 years it would probably retain its value pretty well. i cant imagine it going UP though.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
i think if you bought one, and then sealed it in a container for about 40 years it would probably retain its value pretty well. i cant imagine it going UP though.
This! a lot has to do with inflation. In term on value, I think it won't increase drastically, so not it should not be a form of investment. Look at s30 and compare them, they cost about the same in terms of value of what they would have cost a per when they were new( percentage of income/ correct for inflation).

It's also ard to predict what car will be desired to the point that future "collectors" would want it. The time that said Nismo Z would sell would also determine the value.

If you want an example look at VW bugs (some what busses as well). For some time their value if through the roof, and some years later no one wants them.

So I would say that, it terms of money they might gain value, is it worth the time/space to take car of it and store it? If you just happen to have one and not use if for sake of trying to cash out in the future, I think it's not worth the hassle.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #10
97240sxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluevanos01 View Post
This! a lot has to do with inflation. In term on value, I think it won't increase drastically, so not it should not be a form of investment. Look at s30 and compare them, they cost about the same in terms of value of what they would have cost a per when they were new( percentage of income/ correct for inflation).

It's also ard to predict what car will be desired to the point that future "collectors" would want it. The time that said Nismo Z would sell would also determine the value.

If you want an example look at VW bugs (some what busses as well). For some time their value if through the roof, and some years later no one wants them.

So I would say that, it terms of money they might gain value, is it worth the time/space to take car of it and store it? If you just happen to have one and not use if for sake of trying to cash out in the future, I think it's not worth the hassle.
I agree. A car especially a z or any other form of 'sports car' should be driven and enjoyed in every sense of the word. Even supras never really increased in value. They just retained their value at a higher than average rate.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Start collecting Nismo Jukes.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
97240sxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Start collecting Nismo Jukes.
If you want to collect something collect firearms. I've made more money off of guns than the top ten mutual funds. But I digress, back to the main topic.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
cbeuglas
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
cbeuglas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think twin turbo 300zx will be worth more.
cbeuglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
cbeuglas
Zilvia Member

My father restores classic cars and it is all about demand. The 50 60 year old crowd look back to when they were young and says those were the days and thinks about the car they had then or always wanted. Now that all the kids are grown and they have work and saved all there money. They go I miss that car I had as a teenager. I gonna go buy one but there are not a lot left 40 years later. Hence demand = price.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
cbeuglas
Zilvia Member

There was once a time when model t was super expensive but now the people who want them are too old to drive and the value has dropped. 60 ' s and 70 ' s muscle cars are super high right now (peak) now it seems 280 z's have been getting more expensive.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I don't think anyone really goes crazy over those cars. They look nice and they've got quite a bit going on compared to the average 350z, but it's still a Z with a moderately tuned up VQ. Maybe if Nismo made a really fast twin turbo version out of it, but right now I can't see too many people willing to dish out a ton of money for them in 30-40 years.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #17
jlopez7354
Leaky Injector

jlopez7354 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's actually a simple explanation to why imports don't increase in value like domestics. Seriously who drove an import in the 60's or 70's it was all about American cars and well we do live in America so people demand American made cars more. Like In the UK they drool over old Lotus and other Classic British cars and not so much for Japanese or American cars it's all about demographics. So the answer is no Nismos most likely won't increase in price they will simply retain a good resale value because there are certain enthusiasts out there who want that car
jlopez7354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
there are only 2-3 japanese cars that have really MAINTAINED any worth while value

4th Gen Supra
FD RX7
Acura NSX

thats about it...

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #19
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Porsche 914's seem to be getting rarer and more expensive. I doubt any z will ever do as well as 4th gen supras. Irocs and fox bodies are dirt cheap now, but if the trend continues they should be going up in the next 15-20 years. It's hard to say which 90's cars will be most popular when their enthusiasts start getting nostalgic.

Just an observation, may be different elsewhere... but around the Midwest it seems cars continue to fall in value for the first 25-30years until the generation that were teenagers when they were new get to about 40yrs+ old then their resale value goes up depending on rarity until that generation starts to die off, then they become less valuable. This is solely based on what I've seen. In the 90's 30's and 40's cars were the bees knees... Now it's going more towards the 50's and 60's being what enthusiasts chomp at the bit for.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Nismo Jukes
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #21
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Nismo Z33's... Weren't they the same as regular HR Z's, but with an aero kit & a stitch welded chassis? I don't think that makes it special enough in most collector's eyes to appreciate like the JZA80 Supra, FD3S RX7 or NSX. If anything, it'll be like how we view SE Kouki's now... Nice, but not anything special.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Supras, TT 300zx's, Rx7's and especially the NSX were the "Nissan GTR's" back in the 90's terms of price and performance.

Obviously the nismo Z is nowhere near the GTR. Nismo Z prices were like high 30's when they were new and mid/low 30's when they were on clearance
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote