Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
aznfab213
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (55)
aznfab213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Car wont idle right NEED HELP!

A few days ago my car started to idle weird sometime when I am at the light the idle will drop from around 900 to 200 then come back up. Then I got a check engine light. After diagnosing the code, I found that the Knock sensor was bad. I just replaced the knock sensor today and reset the ecu, but it is still idling really weird. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? By the way, my car is a 91 240sx with ka24de. Thank you for your time.
aznfab213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
JDGrimReaper666
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
JDGrimReaper666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I got the same problem. Tried messing with the throttle cable but my revs won't stay stable. Maybe you have the same set up.... Mine is a 93 s13 5 speed with a auto ecu. Itll idle at 600, then go up to about 1400 and drop again. It will do that continuously. Sometimes itll drop down to 500 and stall. I know auto ecu's do idle drops but theyre not suppose to go back up, ive ran this ecu for over a year with no problems until now.

"Show no compassion, like having a straight face orgasm"
JDGrimReaper666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
aznfab213
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGrimReaper666 View Post
I got the same problem. Tried messing with the throttle cable but my revs won't stay stable. Maybe you have the same set up.... Mine is a 93 s13 5 speed with a auto ecu. Itll idle at 600, then go up to about 1400 and drop again. It will do that continuously. Sometimes itll drop down to 500 and stall. I know auto ecu's do idle drops but theyre not suppose to go back up, ive ran this ecu for over a year with no problems until now.
My setup: 91 240sx coupe auto-> 5 speed manual conversion with an auto ecu. idles at around 900 then sometimes will go down to 200 then back to 900 sometimes it just jumps up and down. It only started happening recently.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
aznfab213
Zilvia FREAK!

does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Ace

Trader Rating: (0)
Ace is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had the same issue with my last car. Auto to 5 speed swap with the auto ECU. It could be something in the programming but beyond that I don't have a solid answer. Seems to be pretty common with auto to manual swaps though. Never had it happen with a 240 that came stock with a 5 speed trans.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
s73

Trader Rating: (0)
s73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had similar issues with my s13, not sure its the same issue you were having. My car's idle would bounce around like that at first, then it gets worst and worst.....then it would just stall out. It got so bad that its not even drive-able.....every time when i press the clutch to shift the car would die!!

this is what i did (not sure if everything i did was necessary or has to deal with my problem, but at the end it fixed it)

1) Check all vacuum lines for leaks, cracks, etc
(i replaced one with a small crack)

2) Clean MAF
(make sure you go to the auto parts store to get the right cleaner)

3) Check EGR
(my was ok)

4) CLEAN IACV
(this was prob the one that fixed it, its not hard but kinda hard to get to, i have big dumb fingers and if i can do it, pretty much anybody can do it. Just have to take it out, take it apart, and clean it with some carb cleaner, put it back together, and put it back on...and of course new gasket if yours got all messed up, my was looking ok so i just slap on some gasket adhesive and reinstall)

NOTE...i found a easy way later on that might be worth a try for you.....instead of taking the whole IACV out, just take out the idle adjusting screw and shoot some throttle body & air intake cleaner in it....then readjust idle....and you are done....
s73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
aznfab213
Zilvia FREAK!

Today I checked the spark plugs to try to find the leaking injector. All of the sparkplugs looked dirty so I did a thorough clean and now it idles very smooth. Weird but it worked. If that is not truly the problem then I will take the recommendations presented to me above. Thanks guys for the help.