Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
koukidrifter21
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
koukidrifter21 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Welded block..?? :/

Was just wondering...has anyone ever had there block welded after throwing a rod? What's the reliabilty factor and the usual cost to get that done? just was wanting to know b4 I bought a new block.
koukidrifter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Where exactly did you bust the block?

Block repair is usually pretty effective when performed by a legit shop...but for the cost of a shortblock anymore, it would be a toss up to see whats cheaper.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
kingyogi
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
kingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I pulled an sr once to sell the motor out of a car I got and it had good amounts of welds over one side and the guy who bought it said probably was only welded because it threw a rod. he still paid average SR price for the motor though. I cant see it being too big of a deal.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
I LUV MY S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
I LUV MY S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
i personally would not even risk it

-Jorge
I LUV MY S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
koukidrifter21
Leaky Injector

koukidrifter21 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Where exactly did you bust the block?

Block repair is usually pretty effective when performed by a legit shop...but for the cost of a shortblock anymore, it would be a toss up to see whats cheaper.
I think its the second piston closest to the firewall..I'm not sure, hadn't diasasembled it yet, hole is on the left side of motor looking at the front of the car.
koukidrifter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LUV MY S13 View Post
i personally would not even risk it
Plenty of big boy cars have welded blocks/heads, no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koukidrifter21 View Post
I think its the second piston closest to the firewall..I'm not sure, hadn't diasasembled it yet, hole is on the left side of motor looking at the front of the car.
It's really tough to say. Assuming you didn't damage the liners, and didn't make a mess out of it...it may be ok. But typically if there is a hole in the block itself it makes a big mess.

Again, it would be certainly 'smart' to begin looking for a shortblock, and then get a quote on the reapir.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Rusker
Zilvia Junkie

Rusker is on a distinguished road
Just buy another used block. I wouldn't risk it.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
D.Adams
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
D.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to D.Adams Send a message via MSN to D.Adams
we welded a ls1 block because it had a crack in it. if its cast dont do it.. if its aluminum see what its going to cost.. i kicked number 3 rod on my KA bought a block fo 50 bucks compare the prices

The build
http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...u-city-az.html

Owner of NVS Fabrications
D.Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
alesserfate
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
alesserfate is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
usually when you have a hole in your block, your sleeves are chewed up an inch up and into your oil galleys for the piston squirters, I wouldnt even be thinking about it

alesserfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
fcdrifter20
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
fcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to beholdfcdrifter20 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
a used ka block shouldnt cost u any more than 50 bucks. much safer to just get another in my opinion
fcdrifter20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
Dezi

Dezi is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a welder and personally I think it's safer just to get a new block and swap out your parts. It just doesn't seem worth the risk to me. If you do decide to weld it instead of buying a new block take it to a professional shop with certified welders. Don't try to weld it yourself unless you are experienced and have a machine that can run hot enough for good penetration.
Dezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
yea and depending on what your plans are for the motor more damage could be done than you think.

also maybe i didnt see it but which engine are we talking about?

Quote:
Well i have a 95 240 and i like my cars low... But my parents don't like my wheels tilted