Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: Where would you mount your blow off valve?
On the cold pipe, near to the throttle body 42 61.76%
On the charged pipe, nearest the compressor 20 29.41%
what is a BOV? 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Where would you put your BOV?

Ok, so the dealio is I've heard various things about the best location for a BOV. Basically I'll break it down into:

1. on the cold pipe just before the TB
and

2. immediately after the compressor on the charged pipe

1 gives the best throttle response (or so I've heard) but blows off quite frequently

and 2 is best for turbo life and easiest in the event of recirculation.

So I ask upon you, my fellow zilvians, to give me your input/opinions/rude comments/flame/jealousy/newbish stupidity or any of the other things that makes zilvia great...

Also, please consider this is a MAFS setup.. not MAP. If you don't understand why that matters.. ignore it.

You may proceed.
<3 Nemo.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I will let you know how often the BOV opens once I relocate mine to the elbow right after the FMIC.

Loud and annoying coming right up!!

<3 Neme
Old 11-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
All these opinions without explanations? hmm...
Old 11-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
throttle responsssssse and recirc it. haha!
Old 11-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Sil-Abc
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (13)
Sil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfectionSil-Abc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sil-Abc
what is this... BOV?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Cold pipe, convert to MAP, and vent to atmosphere.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Wish I could afford to convert to MAP.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #8
TAMTANIUM
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
TAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the roughTAMTANIUM is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it was my decision to put a bov on my car...
It would be on the cold pipe right after the throttle plate.
You will get a nicer response from the bov.
My friend put his bov there and it's a little better response.
Compare to my bov on the hot pipe, it's like whatever. By mean
sucky bov response...that i can still hear my waste gate.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
EJ253
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
EJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to EJ253 Send a message via MSN to EJ253
cold pipe. recirc it.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:38 AM   #10
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
So everyone who posted in the thread supported all the votes for the BOV being on the cold pipe right by the throttle body, but where are all those people who suggested the BOV be placed on the hot pipe? Where are their explanations as to why they chose that side?
Old 11-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #11
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
i figure closest you can get it to the throttle body the better. The pressure in the pipe is jacked up because the throttle plate closed - so i imagine the pressure begins to increase there first, - plus it should be more responsive there - due to it having the earliest and largest pressure difference

supra guys have those super long TB's they weld a flange right to em - where the traction flapper thing is.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #12
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
well for recirculation factor mine is on the hot pipe by the compressor. Why because RB's do not run for shit vented to the atmosphere. I also happen to believe in recirculating the blowoff to cut down on the amount of crap my car could possibly be putting out into the air. Thats me and some of you wil just why does it matter man. Well if you even have to ask that question you need to take a look at the world around you. hahahhahha.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
Old 11-10-2006, 05:14 PM   #13
yfz460
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (24)
yfz460 is making a name for him/her selfyfz460 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yfz460
Lightbulb

Screw putting it on the piping... put it right on the intake manifold!

LoL.... but seriously, I say put it on the cold pipe, better throttle response is a must (imo...) for a turbo'd car on the street or track, especially if you're running a larger, laggier setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
People build cars to please zilvia.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #14
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfz460
Screw putting it on the piping... put it right on the intake manifold!

LoL.... but seriously, I say put it on the cold pipe, better throttle response is a must (imo...) for a turbo'd car on the street or track, especially if you're running a larger, laggier setup.
Throttle response? hehehehhe With RB and HKS GT2535 we don't need to worry about no stinkin throttle response. hahhahahhahhahhahha

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
Old 11-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #15
yfz460
Zilvia Junkie

yfz460 is making a name for him/her selfyfz460 is making a name for him/her self
SR

Not all of us are so fortunate to be able to afford a beautifull piece of Japanese engineering freaq...

Oh, and I ran my BOV on my deceased car on my hotpipe vented to the atmosphere. It was the new version of the HKS SSQV (no adjustment on the back, and was authentic) and I had no problems with it stalling but it would sometimes go down to about a 100-200rpm idle for a second or two after pushing the engine.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #16
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

I'm using the new SSQV too.. Courtesy of Ernest! (SoSideways)
But it seems mine will be on the cold pipe.. and quite possible have a huge tube going across the bay for recircing..
Old 11-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #17
yfz460
Zilvia Junkie

I'm not 100% sure how well it works, or how it works, but HKS makes (or made) a unit called the EIDS (electronic idle stabilizer) to aid in the idling of atmospheric bov systems on MAF cars. HKS claims it "buffers" signals from it which it could possibly do, I'm no electronic genius like those crazy HKS guys so I have no input on that one.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=2175

^^ Info on the unit.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Hmm.. cool link. Anyone tried these or have any more info on them?
Old 11-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #19
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
u could also use an SAFC and use the decel air setting
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

Old 11-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #20
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Or just trash the BunkiROM and get an AEM EMS and convert to IAT+MAP.

But really there is a reason the s14SR moved the BOV to were it did. The Pressure wave that causes compressor surge starts at the TB. Most of the charged air is in the IC. Dumping it in the hot pipe causes the air to back flow. 1, loosing response and 2, the possibility of BOV induced surge.

Cold pipe is the only was to go.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #21
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Yay, finally some factual evidence to base opinions off of.
Thanks AJ.

And If you'd sell me your EMS for $500.. I'd do it. HAHA
Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #22
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Sold it a month ago and my Power FC is on it's way.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #23
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Yeah my friend Brian who was stationed over in Japan for a long time and said he built a lot of S-chassis, also said something along the lines of what S14DB said.

Basically he said that the charged air is in the IC and cold pipe when you close the throttle plate, so it would make sense to put the BOV there to vent the air there to prevent it from going back into the compressor, where the initial compressed air from the compressor is still making its way out of the compressor outlet to the IC and cold pipe side.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:51 PM   #24
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

cool. So I guess that's where I'm putting it..

Recirc will depend on what my AFRs look like..
Old 11-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #25
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The S13 puts the compress bypass valve on the cold pipe of the sidemount. You can see it capped off below.

I moved it into the engine bay to keep it clean and for easier recirculating. Look how dirty the sidemount is.

The S14 moves it even further up the coldpipe. I think that's the right thing to do. Just make sure you route your hoses correctly.

Oh, and the pink slippers are not mine. I swear!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #26
SoSideways
Post Whore!

You know, now that you've brought that up g6civcx, the Skyline GT-Rs also have their recirc valves on the cold pipe, right in front of where the JDM driver's side front wheel is.

So it's settled, for performance's sake, BOVs should go on the cold pipe, as close to the TB as you can get it (although I've heard 6" from TB is the best spot for it?)
Old 11-14-2006, 12:06 AM   #27
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Well I'll give it a few inches for hood clearance issues..
Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #28
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Evan. Unless you are making hella hp, i would put it on the hot pipe. I would put it there because on a lower cfm car it is better to release the pressure before the intercooler, that way the ic can keep some pressure in it.

You dont want to drain all the pressure in your fmic then have to refill it before you feel the boost kick in. Yes i know even on the hot pipe it will drain the fmic, but not as bad as on the cold side.

Like my sig \/ haha
Old 11-14-2006, 06:27 AM   #29
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just to let everybody know, Wastegates make a PSSSHH noise too! >=D
Old 11-14-2006, 11:07 AM   #30
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx
The S13 puts the compress bypass valve on the cold pipe of the sidemount. You can see it capped off below.

I moved it into the engine bay to keep it clean and for easier recirculating. Look how dirty the sidemount is.

The S14 moves it even further up the coldpipe. I think that's the right thing to do. Just make sure you route your hoses correctly.

Oh, and the pink slippers are not mine. I swear!
That is a very good point. I'd never thought about or noticed that. Would this also apply to a aftermarket fmic? Because blu808 brings up a valid point as well...

PS: Those flip-flops/slippers are yours and you know it!
Closed Thread