PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade maf?

EnvyS13
08-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Hello zilvia,
I am running a ka-t with a garrett 60-1, 370, mid mount etc. I have a tune sitting around I'm gonna send back to get reflashed for this setup. My question is would it be worth it to get an n60/n62 maf, or should I just keep the stock one? I'm not looking for huge numbers, this is my daily so I'd rather have a safer setup than anything.

Thanks

Mikester
08-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Never hurts to upgrade your MAFS...

Croustibat
08-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Yeah but it costs MONEY.

@OP > get a friend in your car and some voltage logging tool, some multimeters can do it, some scopes too but they are expensive. log the MAF signal wire, it comes to the ECU, near your passenger legs. Bury the right pedal in the ground on 3rd all the way up. Does it reach 5V ? If the answer is no, then you dont need to change your MAF. It is not linear, so if you have 4.2V you still have a lot of room. The max is usually reached between 3500 and 5000 rpm.

BTW i'd advice to just get a nistune (this logs MAF voltage and a bunch of other things too) or any other EMS (NO crap piggyback like SAFC ) and have someone tune your car. Off the shelf tune is ok for mild tuning, but i'd never get one with mods like you have. Plus you will get more HP and reliability...

EnvyS13
08-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I'd love to get a nistune but it always comes back funds. The enthalpy tune should be good enough for my needs now. Thanks a lot for the info, I'll try it tonight

Kingtal0n
08-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Never upgrade a maf unless absolutely necessary. Larger maf sensors have lower resolution. The smaller it is the better it will handle (report) small incremental changes.

That said, you do not have enough injector to upgrade your maf. it will not make a difference to report increased airflow to a computer if the computer cannot adjust the fuel supply to meet the demand for the additional airflow.

last... you wont always see exactly 5V from a maxed maf. I have seen a maf stop at 4.5V and at 5.2V.

fliprayzin240sx
08-05-2013, 06:14 PM
I'd get bigger injectors first...370 is too small.

Danger_Dorn
08-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Stay stock unless you do a full system upgrade. Think about it, Nissan did all that R and D for this specific motor so stock is the best you can have unless you go balls out and upgrade everything

fliprayzin240sx
08-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Stay stock unless you do a full system upgrade. Think about it, Nissan did all that R and D for this specific motor so stock is the best you can have unless you go balls out and upgrade everything

What's stock about a KA-T? Did you even read what kind of setup he has? :duh:

a 60 trim T3 would push this to 250hp at 8-9 psi. He'd close to max of both 370cc injectors and stock MAF.

Danger_Dorn
08-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Dear god do I feel dumb now lol :picardfp: