PDA

View Full Version : Sr20det Rebuild Questions.

liveordie72089
07-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Ok, so long story short I blew my turbo and drove it home as I didnt want to pay for towing. I know very stupid but next time I will pay for a towing company. Ended up spending around 2k for a T28 conversion, got all the parts on the car and had some sort of knock. Well after taking the engine apart I found that cylinder 2 rod bearing is destroyed. I ordered a sr20det rebuild dvd from drifting.com but hasnt came yet, been almost a month and a half and still nothing, called twice keeps saying im upping your shipping. Wish they would just send the damn dvd instead of worrying about that. Anyways thats a different topic. I was gonna buy a long block but I want this engine to last so Id rather just build it. I am gonna try and keep piston size stock but have to further check out the damage. Here are the list of parts I am going to be ordering.
1. Weisco forged pistons.
2. Eagle rods
3. ACL bearings
4. Oil Pump
5. Water pump
6. Gaskets
7. Tomei head gasket
8. Blitz single disc active clutch rebuild disc
9. ARP main studs. (already have head studs installed)
Anything else you can think of?

What should I have done to the block by a shop?
I am guessing hot tank the block, resurface the head/block, balance and polish the crankshaft? Anything that I am missing?

Should I try and tackle this myself or should I just go long block?

Sorry for all the questions. I am in over my head so far ha.

jr_ss
07-03-2013, 07:19 PM
If you want it to last, get a tow home next time instead of trying to save a buck.

In all seriousness, a factory motor is fine with a fresh factory headgasket, arp's and TLC. There's no reason to spend the amount of money you're getting ready to, to run a T28.

lucas240sx
07-05-2013, 09:22 PM
If you Rebuild, they will hone the cylinder walls as well....have them balance the crank with the pistons and rods
Take it to someone who has done sr's
If not, have the shop put the shims and guides along wih the valves back in their exact place(ive been pulling my hair trying to measure the guides/shims and depth of the valves....there is a write up im following)
If you let them do the head, they will check to see if the valves r straight...buy new stem seals