PDA

View Full Version : rb20 turbo spooling but not making boost!?

PantsOnTheGround
02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
hey guys. so yesterday i swapped out my stock rb20 turbo for a newerish rb20 turbo (because it was only $160) and after getting everything hooked back up right i took it for a test drive and it barely made much power. one thing i did notice were that a couple bolts that hold the cold side of the turbo from turning were loose but i couldnt get to them. everything else was tight. what would cause the turbo to spool up but not create any boost? im stumped!

ultimateirving
02-25-2012, 04:31 PM
hey guys. so yesterday i swapped out my stock rb20 turbo for a newerish rb20 turbo (because it was only $160) and after getting everything hooked back up right i took it for a test drive and it barely made much power. one thing i did notice were that a couple bolts that hold the cold side of the turbo from turning were loose but i couldnt get to them. everything else was tight. what would cause the turbo to spool up but not create any boost? im stumped!

Stuck / Bad wga. I'd start there. See if ur wastegate arm moves freely

PantsOnTheGround
02-25-2012, 04:50 PM
The wga arm moves freely. I did find a 90 degree nipple on my old turbo that looks like it could run to a vacuum, so I put it on the new one. Also found a loose bolt on the hot side of the turbo so I'm gonna tighten that and try again

PantsOnTheGround
02-25-2012, 05:28 PM
found the issue i believe. this should help out anybody that is new to turbo swapping like myself. there was a stock 90 degree nipple on the inlet side of the turbo and i had forgotten to put it on the new turbo so it was losing all the boost pressure through that vacuum hole. also i noticed there were a couple loose bolts on the hot side so i tightened those up and it ran fine. can someone help me out and tell me what the use for that nipple is? right now im using the wastegate vacuum nipple to run my boost controller but can i use the turbo one for anything?

KiLLeR2001
02-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Check ignition timing.

nomoremk2
02-26-2012, 08:30 AM
^Did you even read the thread? That nipple could be used for anything you need a boost source for. To simplify things you could run your wastegate/boost controller setup from that.