PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft will NOT mate with transmission... help!!!

stEEZE nikkAA
09-04-2011, 12:57 PM
So I just finished my sohc to dohc and auto to 5 speed swap, but now the driveshaft will not mate with the output shaft of thetransmission. I've searched all over to find an answer, but none have really helped me. I bought the 5 speed and transmission from the same person, and he said the driveshaft came off that trans. The driveshaft will go in through the rubber seal, but it will stop going in once it starts lining up at the splines. I've rotated the DS while trying to mate it, but 2 hours under the car swimming in trans fluid later, I end up with no luck. I even tried hitting it in with a mallet, being careful not to damage the splines, but still no luck. I tried putting the automatic DS into the 5 speed trans, but nothing. Also put the "supposedely" 5 speed DS into the automatic trans, and THAT lines up and slides in perfectly smooth... Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Chaluska
09-04-2011, 12:59 PM
So I just finished my sohc to dohc and auto to 5 speed swap, but now the driveshaft will not mate with the output shaft of thetransmission. I've searched all over to find an answer, but none have really helped me. I bought the 5 speed and transmission from the same person, and he said the driveshaft came off that trans. The driveshaft will go in through the rubber seal, but it will stop going in once it starts lining up at the splines. I've rotated the DS while trying to mate it, but 2 hours under the car swimming in trans fluid later, I end up with no luck. I even tried hitting it in with a mallet, being careful not to damage the splines, but still no luck. I tried putting the automatic DS into the 5 speed trans, but nothing. Also put the "supposedely" 5 speed DS into the automatic trans, and THAT lines up and slides in perfectly smooth... Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

pretty clear you got a auto driveshaft.. you didnt think to try installing the shaft before installing the engine in the car?

stEEZE nikkAA
09-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Nope, that's one thing I regret not doing. I just took the seller's word for it. Which was a mistake. The thing is, one DS is longer than the other. That's the one thing I don't understand. They both fit on the auto, but none fit in the 5 speed. Iirc, both have the same spline pattern, but the length is the only thing different as far as auto vs. Manual DS go..

KiLLeR2001
09-04-2011, 01:12 PM
The difference in length is the ABS vs Non-ABS. Not auto / manual.

thinhthan
09-04-2011, 01:13 PM
maybe they both are for autos but one has abs and one doesnt

Ekin_s13
09-04-2011, 02:02 PM
i would go back to that guy and ask for your money or f**k him up. i hate people who rip off other people.

i got my drive shaft from here its just a half shaft but that all you need. its only 80 bucks.

89 93 NISSAN SILVIA S13 MANUAL HALF DRIVESHAFT SR20DET | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-93-NISSAN-SILVIA-S13-MANUAL-HALF-DRIVESHAFT-SR20DET-/220844118684?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336b55d29c#ht_6102wt_1079)

stEEZE nikkAA
09-04-2011, 02:20 PM
ahhh. I see. I guess I'll just have to pick up a driveshaft locally that is a REAL 5 speed one... as far as the dust collar goes.. should I leave it on or take it off?

Renelovesnike
09-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Post a picture of ur driveshaft so we could see if its auto or manual* and abs n non abs only have diff lenghts not diff size output shafts!

Renelovesnike
09-04-2011, 02:24 PM
ahhh. I see. I guess I'll just have to pick up a driveshaft locally that is a REAL 5 speed one... as far as the dust collar goes.. should I leave it on or take it off?

If its an oem driveshaft it should just go in with the dust collar on anyways... only time i seen people run without dust collars is when they get a larger diameter one peice driveshaft* or when the manual tranny just didnt come with one!!! :fruit:

stEEZE nikkAA
09-04-2011, 09:28 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Misc/For%20Sale%20Parts/DSCN4271.jpg

Here's a picture I found online. I have the driveshaft up top. And upon further reading.... it looks like that is an automatic one. uuhhhh........ lol. Can someone confirm this?

KiLLeR2001
09-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Auto - Top
Manual - Bottom

stEEZE nikkAA
09-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Cool. I guess the only use I have for the auto driveshaft sitting in my garage is a nice paperweight to throw through the seller's window.

Thanks guys, will be picking up a driveshaft this week.

sr20sean
09-04-2011, 10:04 PM
one also appears to be s14 vs s13.

i have a jdm s13 driveshaft that has a universal joint instead of that rubber bushing thing.

Walperstyle
09-05-2011, 02:49 AM
there is a difference in length for ABS vs Non ABS cars.

may I ask, did you swap out the proper pilot bushing on the back of your motor before installing this transmission? often forgotten

stEEZE nikkAA
09-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I did not switch it out. To be honest, I don't remember if the motor was once paired with a 5 speed or an automatic transmission. All I know is that the flywheel bolts were the right length and the transmission paired up with the motor easily and smoothly. Is that a sign of a proper pilot bushing? lol

slipandflow
09-06-2011, 12:19 AM
random question but would a manual non abs drive shaft fit on a car that has abs? or the other way around?

KiLLeR2001
09-06-2011, 12:52 AM
random question but would a manual non abs drive shaft fit on a car that has abs? or the other way around?

How is the question random if it pertains to the topic?

The difference in length is due to the differential pumpkin used. I believe all ABS equipped cars came with VLSDs. The VLSD pumpkin is longer than the open differential pumpkin.

Walperstyle
09-06-2011, 01:25 AM
SEARCHING GOOGLE produced some results
www.ka-t.org :: View topic - ABS Diff?????????? (http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52613&highlight=driveshaft+length)

Quoted from source:

Section 1: Coming From Trans (ABS makes no Diff. in Length here)
M/T = 421.0mm (16.57")
A/T = 441.0mm (17.37")

Section 2: Center Bearing/Mount to Diff
Non-ABS = 650.0mm (25.59")
ABS = 636.0mm (25.04")

PS, here is my thread I created a while ago
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41407&highlight=driveshaft+length

xFix Kaos
09-06-2011, 05:32 AM
yea it looks liek its for the s14,...could b wrong, and yeaa he dicked ya, ask for some money back, or throw it at him...whatever u prefer