PDA

View Full Version : Modifying the sr20det

ryzozS13
11-13-2003, 05:16 PM
I'm new to all of this, but I have a good concept of it all. I was wondering what are good steps for upgrading the sr20det. I have Intake,downpipe/straighpipe/apexi duel n1 and an HKS bov. My sidemount is a little bit beat up, would it be a good investment to get an HKS frontmount Intercooler kit first? I plan to upgrade the turbo, but I don't have the money right now. Are there other steps that would be better to do first? thanks

harryhood
11-13-2003, 06:10 PM
Definatly invest in some kind of fmic. You need a fuel pump also. Look for a boost controller and some way to tune your car as well. I'm using the ka radiator right now but will eventually upgrade when it starts to heat up, if you get a front mount and start turning up the boost a beefier radiator with some electric fans would come in handy. Some of this you don't exactly "need" right now but if you plan up upgrading the turbo you will have to get it all anyways.

MadChild
11-13-2003, 07:10 PM
take each step slowly. First of all you should get a new raditor and possible new electrionic fan. Don't worry about boosting untill you have your cooling down. Next still don't worry about boosting untill you get a new fuel pump such as the walbro or 300zx or something similiar, you get the idea. Then after all this have been accomplish get your FMIC, you will have a way better turbo response with one then without one. After you accomplish all the steps above then go out to purchase a boost controller (manual or electronic), and you should diffantly get it tune at the dyno, or you can get a SAFC.

stp9154
11-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Just want to add one little thing, I would definitely get RAS's before getting all those other goodies. Cheap but very helpful.

SX_Drifter
11-13-2003, 11:45 PM
I would get a boost controller first. Manual ones can be had for cheap. It's insurance that the car doesn't over boost and blow the motor. Then do a fuel pump, your car needs it with the sr20det. After that look into the Koyo rad and 14" electric fan kit. Lastly get a FMIC. Get a Greddy or Blitz, the HKS to pricey and the two I listed are just as good.

ryzozS13
11-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks alot for the help. I forgot to tell you that I already have a turbo XS manual boost controller. Now the queston is, do I repaint my car black(its currently a light blue color) and fix all of the rust, like under the spoiler. Or do I start on that stuff first.

ryzozS13
11-14-2003, 01:44 PM
Would a Walbro High pressure 255 itr/hr do the trick?

CornerHard
11-14-2003, 06:58 PM
If you don't want to blow up your engine, you're going to need some good logging and fuel control tools as soon as you start messing with the fuel and boost.

1) If you screw with the fuel system, you need a fuel pressure gauge. A smart place to put it is right next to your boost gauge, so you can make sure they climb and fall together. If you're flowing enough air that the fuel can't keep up, you need to upgrade your fuel system further. If you're running a giant fuel pump with the stock FPR, you'll probably have to upgrade that as well, as you may be overrunning your fuel system and going uncontrollably rich.

2) Logging timing or knock is VERY IMPORTANT for determining if you're pushing your car past the detonation treshold. I've seen a couple decent timing monitors for the SR, such as the MDM-100. An EGT gauge will give you a general idea of your air/fuel mixture and timing retard, but not enough to tune on alone. A wideband O2 sensor is a great investment.

3) If you're upping the fuel and upping the boost, you'll need some fuel control. There are various piggyback controllers than work decently well, such as the S-AFC and eManage, or you can spring for a full standalone such as the PowerFC, Haltech, or (hopefully in the future) AEM EMS :bowdown:.

4) Keep up on your regular maintainance, such as checking for boost leaks in your intake system (http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html), changing fluids regularly, checking for leaks, checking spark plugs regularly, etc...

5) Have fun with your new power :D

Evil S14
11-15-2003, 01:42 AM
ditch the sr and get a kat ry ry