PDA

View Full Version : opinion on battery

short_shift04
04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
well i have an s14 with an sr20 swap. right now i have a miata battery, the small dry cell. im not 100% sure if its the battery or the alternator that went on me, but the battery wont hold a charge. if it ends up being the battery would you guys suggest getting another small battery, or just relocating to the trunk and picking up a optima red top?

thanks
yacek

iamtheyi
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
First go test them at a autoparts test to see which one is bad, or bad at all. If you don't have a maintenance free battery, you could check the cells individually with some sort of water sucking thingy ( totally forgot the name :O). If this car is your daily, Optima ftw. You don't want those stupid batteries to keep going out on you.

rokmplutonium
04-23-2010, 07:53 PM
+1 for the redtops. The only time i've ever had a problem with it was when my alternator crapped out on me (but that's not the battery's fault)

Kouki4Zenki
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Optima's are well worth the money if you can afford them...imho for the few extra bucks compared to a stock/aftermarket battery its well worth it.

Sterlz
04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Best bet is to relocate to the trunk and use a standard size battery. From my experience, ive found that optimas can die very easily if not used often. Great batteries for sound systems, but if you dont have one, save your money, its not necessary. Get yourself a nice duralast or a diehard with those nice warranties