PDA

View Full Version : Stock SR internals good to?

kikcaffine
04-14-2010, 10:22 AM
What kind of horsepower or boost levels can the stock internals on an SR hold to. Im not talking about a jank old engine but hypothetically all new OEM internals. 350-400whp or is it pushing it at that point?:zombie:

renegade_ewok
04-14-2010, 10:38 AM
headgasket/studs and the internals should hold 400 pretty well. There are a ton of tuned 3076 setups out there around that area and I dont think that it should be that big of an issue if you just tune it right. Its all in the tune...

Of course you'll see a dyno of stock internals on race gas hitting like 500, but thats not gonna be a long lasting motor. I don't see many SR guys running meth injection and that would make your numbers even easier and safer.

Whats usually the first thing to go on a bottom end?
Do the pistons go from pressure or do the ringlands blow out?

This is me adding a question to the thread, btw.

kikcaffine
04-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Any insight or a thread URL anyone's got favorited?

jr_ss
04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Ringlands are very small on the OEM SR bottomend. There have been motors deep into the 500's but they don't last long. 400hp is about the max for longetivity wise. As stated it all depends on your tuning.

codyace
04-18-2010, 07:29 PM
I think this answer really depends on what you want to do with the car:

-If you're just gonna daily drive it, and street race then I'd say stock is fine for 350-400 whp. A headgasket would be a welcome upgrade, but that's on you.

-If you're going to drift/track/drag race the car a few times each year (or if you simply hate your car and beat on it all day) then it would behoove you to at a minimum run an after market (I suggest/prefer CP) Piston on your stock rod.

Remember, Nissan isn't going to give you a trophy if you keep a stock motor safe at 400 whp, and in the same regard, it's going to SUCK if you get a good running setup up and going, only to melt a piston out of it/burn a headgasket out of it.

I also would say not to even waste your time with 'new' oem stuff. CP's are cheap (like 400 bones), and it makes it almost a no brainer in today's 240 game.