PDA

View Full Version : Sealing around s14 taillights

s13pignose
02-23-2010, 06:59 PM
I picked up a roll of this stuff from advance today. I knew I needed butyl sealant, but what i got was the only thing they had and it said you use where butyl sealant was originally used. Front said something about being for windshields. Anyway comes in a 3/8" x 15' bead curled up. I tried various ways of applying it but either I had to much and the taillight wouldn't go in or applying it on the trunk holes it pushed through with the taillight. Washed the car later and still got leaks.

Still got some left but I gotta make this count cause it looks like I have only enough for one more try. Should I apply the bead around the back of the tails on the part that slides in the trunk like in this how to:

http://zilvia.net/f/archive-faqs/103050-how-seal-leaky-taillamps.html

I didn't find that until trying it on my own earlier.

Also how important are the pads on the back of the lights cause mine have been through hell and back and ripped. Do I need new ones or will the butyl stuff make up for it?

Also are s14 taillights suppose to have small gap b/w them and the trunk or do the mount completely against. I never paid attention.

Thanks for any help

projectRDM
02-24-2010, 07:29 AM
I've always just applied a bead right around the main housing that juts into the chassis. Never had a leak problem. Are you certain that's where it's coming from?

s13pignose
02-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Lil late replying, but yea I've actually taken water and poured around the taillight and watch it run down around the bulb housing that goes through into the trunk. Even with the butyl I put on you see water around it . Then again there was probably a better way of applying it, like around the taillight first. The part that goes in the trunk that is.

I don't know how much nissan butyl gives, but the stuff I got from advance doesn't seem to give much. Like when I try to push the light in there was resistance, I thought the stuff was just gonna squish in but it didn't budge much. I might put the bead of butyl around the light, then take a hair dryer hold it over for a min or two, then slide it in. Maybe the heat will make it give more.

Thanks for responding