PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal adjustment

logo20
02-21-2003, 02:24 PM
I've seen in other threads how easy it is to adjust the clutch pedal. I have a stock clutch, and I'd like to know how much I can safely increase the free play.
this is the specifications according to 240.org
Clutch pedal height mm (in) 18-196 ( 7.32- 7.72)
Clutch pedal free play mm (in) 1-3 ( 0.04- 0.12) almost no free play.

adey
02-21-2003, 03:42 PM
On your MC, there is a threaded section by the "fork" where it connects to the clutch pedal. You can either take off the clutch pedal and adjust that screw, or take off the master cylinder and adjust the screw, which will either lower (but probably not raise) the height of the clutch pedal... when you get under there and see it, it'll be clearer.
I would say try adjusting it by taking thet pedal off (or loosening it somewhere) since it's easier than having to take of the MC and bleeding the clutch. :)
Good luck and have fun! the top of the clutch pedal is a pain in the butt to reach!

Tubed4evr
02-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Ok I am not too sure why you want to adjust free play much past stock spec, but here is how you adjust it. If you look at the top of the clutch pedal you will see a rod that goes into the firewall (this rod goes into the clutch master cylinder). You will see a lock nut threaded on this rod. Loosen it up and then grab some needle nose pliers and actually turn the rod itself (it has a flat spot on it if I remember correctly). Looking towards the front of the car you should rotate it counter clockwise to add more free play. This is off of memory so I could be wrong but the idea is you want to decrease the usable length of that rod to add more freeplay and make the rod longer to decrease freeplay. Once you got it feeling how you like it just retighten that lock nut. It's really easy once you see it.

logo20
02-22-2003, 03:13 PM
thanks for the replies, but what I want to know is if it would be safe to increase the freeplay-i mean maybe it could damage the clutch.
I'm thinking about getting a new clutch too. Tubed4evr, I see you have an act clutch, how is the pedal feel and engagement compare to stock?

Tubed4evr
02-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Virtually no difference in pedal pressure from a stock clutch in good condition. Hooks up very nicely though. It has taken all the abuse I can throw at it and still feels like new. I love it.

As far as putting more freeplay into the pedal, about the worst thing that could happen would be that you make the master cylinder rod so short that you cannot disengage the clutch. I'm still kinda curious as to why you want to put alot of freeplay in it though. Is it just a preference of feel?

logo20
02-22-2003, 08:17 PM
It's just preference, my clutch pedal feel a little heavy. when I'm really to buy another clutch I'll probably go with centerforce or spec,
thanks anyway