PDA

View Full Version : Taking off Crank Pulley?

doubledashdrifting
11-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm about to replace my front main seal and just need to know if I will need an impact gun. If not, how the hell do you take the bolt on and re torque it to spec without turning the engine? Can you just put the tranny in gear and put something in front and behind the back wheels to keep it from moving? Also, what size is the crank pulley bolt on the SR20, think its 27mm am I correct?

Thanks!!!

MrFairlady
11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
similar to re-torqing flywheel bolts - somewhat

Basically removing it is easy,..use a chain (from the engine hoist or whatever) and a Tranny bolt/flywheel bolt and chain it so it won't spin while tightning.WIll work fine.
No impact - I'd use just Torque Wrench IMO.
Bolt I believe is a 24mm

Torque is like 101ft lbs or something.
(BTW: Lexus GS300 torque is like 150+ft lbs :wtf:)

s13dan
11-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I did mine last week, 27mm and its very easy.I used an impact to get it off, it came off VERY easy.. i zaped it back on too but im pretty good with an impact.

n240sxfnatic
11-04-2008, 02:40 PM
yea its 27mm, i did mine with sockets and wrenches, just put the tranny in gear

doubledashdrifting
11-04-2008, 02:44 PM
what about taking the pulley off? Do I need a puller or can I just tap it with a rubber hammer to break it loose?

n240sxfnatic
11-04-2008, 02:52 PM
what about taking the pulley off? Do I need a puller or can I just tap it with a rubber hammer to break it loose?
U NEED a puller. You can rent them for free at autozone and every other place. I rented a 3 jaw 2 ton puller from orieleys but make sure you dont let the pointed middle part dig into your crank.

doubledashdrifting
11-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Cool, how do you go about not messing up the crank with the pointed end of the puller, should I put a towel on the end or do you just line it up center on the crank?

aNskY
11-04-2008, 03:19 PM
put the bolt in a little, it has a dimple in the middle for the puller

n240sxfnatic
11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
^ word bolt has a notch

doubledashdrifting
11-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help guys. Might try it tonight should only take about an hour from what I'm reading.

s14unimog
11-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I agree, puller for sure. Its definitely 27mm or 1 1/16" whichever you have around. I just did impact both ways. Think about what its actually doing. The pulley is about impossible to remove without a gearpuller so that bolt is just covering the unexpected circumstances, "good and snug" is close enough. At any case, they are steel threads so you couldn't do much damage to it.

If you do, post pictures of the look on your face... yeah that's funny...

SochBAT
11-06-2008, 12:29 AM
ORRRR.

If you don't have impact tools, the COOL way to do it.

1) Remove fuel pump fuse.
2) Attach wrench with CORRECT socket onto the crank pulley bolt.
3) Attach LONG breaker bar to wrench, and hold it down with a tire, making ABSOLUTELY SURE it won't budge
4) Close the hood.
5) Crank the car ONCE, making sure not to do it more than once.
6) Open hood.
7) Clear everything, and wrench the rest off.

JimmyRigged, but works.

PS. There is a notch on the crank itself. Its a free-moving notch and it just sits in a groove. If you fuck up and somehow it comes out of the groove, you'll spend HOURS tryin to get it to line back up inside that groove. Took me a LONG while to get it back on there.