PDA

View Full Version : kyb gr2's for auto-x?

drift_newbie
01-24-2003, 06:08 AM
Okay, I really want to do the agx, but my budget fits the gr-2's better. Does anyone have any experience with these shocks? (BTW, my car is a '89 rps13, if that helps.)

Thanks,
-ben

240 2NR
01-24-2003, 07:52 AM
If you're running an otherwise stock suspension, they'll be fine. With lower ride height or stiffer springs, you'll likely run into problems with them as they are not really designed for either.

If you thik you'll be upgrading soon, then I think it would be better to wait a little longer and save the money. AGX's may cost more, but they cost less than if you buy a set of gr-2's first and realize they won't meet your needs.

drift_newbie
01-24-2003, 09:19 AM
I'll probably go ahead and get them. Since I auto-x in stock class, I can't lower the car or change springs and stay legal, so I guess they should work fine for me.

Thanks again,
-ben

AceInHole
01-29-2003, 04:26 PM
FWIW: KA powered S13 fastbacks would be RMS13s :p It should say so on the firewall tag.

Also: I ran GR2's for the second half of the Auto-X season last summer after I blew a Koni, and they managed to hold up decently. I'd rather have working Koni's or AGX's though (getting AGX's before the next season's start).

HippoSleek
01-30-2003, 07:01 AM
I'd go the opposite way if I was in stock class. If you are going to run stickers, you NEED better shocks. If you're not running R compounds, I'm guessing you are not competitive yet? (I don't mean that in a negative way - it takes years to get there)

Still - even if I weren't competitive, adjustible shocks are extremely helpful in autox b/c they allow stability in transitions (where rebound becomes very important). Personally, I'd save for the AGXs in any case.

tnord
01-30-2003, 12:08 PM
are your shocks blown? if not, there's no reason to get the GR2's, as they're meant to be an OEM replacement. you won't get much (if any) performance benefits from these......so i'm with mark......save up for the AGX's.

lVll2. S14
02-01-2003, 04:24 AM
ive blown 2 sets of rear shocks alrdy.....tokico blues and a pair of kyb gr2s...can anyone give me a theory as to y?....i do have a custom enclosure in the back which is composed of fiberglass so that might be a little heavy.....i only using the stock springs its on an s14

tnord
02-01-2003, 11:11 AM
improper install.

AceInHole
02-01-2003, 11:38 PM
TNord's got a point. I've been using stock rear shocks with Sportlines and a heavy ass sub enclosure and they still have some gas in 'em (no pun intended... really).

adey
02-02-2003, 06:18 AM
I've heard that AGXs weren't meant to be run with springs that lower more than a v. conservative amount. Is there any truth to that, and if so/not, what kind of shock life would you see with lowered (1"+) springs?

Again, I have no experience with anything other than blown stock shocks and my coilovers, but this is the only thing so far that I've heard that DOESN'T praise AGXs like they're the god of all shock absorbers.
What's the deal?

240racer
02-02-2003, 01:45 PM
I don't think anybody here is saying the AGX shocks are bad, but they are also accepting that they aren't the best either. Everybody sould know simply by the price of the shocks that they are not the best you can get. However, they are better then OEM including the gr2's. They are also adjstable, and while they may not have the best adjustment system or range or resolution, they are adjustable nonetheless.

The reason you can't run the AGX's with really low springs is because the overall dimensions of the shock are still the same as OEM. That means if you lower the car you don't have much room for travel before the shock itself bottoms. Basically it means that the shock shaft isn't in the middle (or even close) of it's travel. If you modified the shock to make it more in the middle of it's travel, then it would be okay. That's the main problem with lowering a car when the manufactur and designers didn't intend to. The stock body race cars usually have completly different suspension under the body even though all it looks like they did was lower it.