PDA

View Full Version : to you guys with Brian Crower Stage 2 cams...

aNskY
08-17-2008, 07:30 PM
the stage 2 264D 12.06L cams
did you guys have your head milled?
any interference issues?
has anyone actually measured the clearance?

my valves are kissing pistons. timing is 100% correct. valves are still seated properly and do not appear bent. they were hitting enough to apparently crush my stem seals though (decent oil on top of pistons)

this started with a knocking throughout rev range soon after i finished my head build. thing is it didnt start immdeately, the car idled for a while for some idle tuning and i even went around the block before this started. not only till 5 mins later when i turned car around in driveway did it start knocking. so i thought it was bearing or wrist pin (got an unknown block from a buddy). because sounded like top of block / bottom of head area. actually first i thought lifter but they were all rock solid. checked (changed) main /rod / thrust bearings everything was fine and wrist pins felt fine. i pulled the head and discovered very small notches on my pistons. obviously valves are kissing.... and thats exactly where the knocking sounded like it was coming from. thing is i checked valve to piston clearance with some clay and the valves are not touching by cranking by hand. i dont know how much more lift i would get with oil pressure. anyone?

machine shop told me head was warped but did not specify how much he took off, i was running a 1.1 cosworth gasket.

nxpoweredsr20
08-17-2008, 07:34 PM
i feel like im having the same problem...i just had my motor fully built and i had a vct actuator knocking and i fixed that and i still have a knock coming from the head and i have stage 2 cams...im taking it to the shop that built the motor tomorrow

aNskY
08-17-2008, 07:55 PM
lol 4 mins after i post.. anyone else?

im thinking new stem seals and thicker HG and i should be ok. notches in pistons are ever so slight, the car actually ran fine otherwise and hadnt even started smoking yet despite the oil. if i could take a picture i would.

be careful with these cams guys

Addicted2Kouki
08-18-2008, 01:47 AM
What valve springs are you using?

aNskY
08-18-2008, 04:44 AM
crower titanium springs and retainers

b4racing
08-18-2008, 10:59 AM
^ i thought you only needed those for their stage 3 cams?

silsx13
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Hmmm- Did you contact BC customer service about your problem?

They're pretty good at answering questions and can probably help you out the best. Give them a call!

drftthatshit
08-18-2008, 04:24 PM
yeah if you valve springs are to soft they will not pull the valve up fast enough even if you timing is rite on this can still happen i see this all the time people put these crazy cams in there engine and thats all they do they dont upgrade any other part just like the v8 guys lets make an 1100 hp car but dont build up the frame or drive line start from the begining buy valve springs rocker arm stoppers and even possibly lifters and see if the prob is still there hope this help man let me no

aNskY
08-18-2008, 10:36 PM
yeah if you valve springs are to soft they will not pull the valve up fast enough even if you timing is rite on this can still happen i see this all the time people put these crazy cams in there engine and thats all they do they dont upgrade any other part just like the v8 guys lets make an 1100 hp car but dont build up the frame or drive line start from the begining buy valve springs rocker arm stoppers and even possibly lifters and see if the prob is still there hope this help man let me no

appreciate the insight but ya need to read the thread before you post dude.
also running greddy ras but thats a non-issue. and my lifters are fine.

WILDACEX187
08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
stage 2 cams are the cams that done need the springs

stage 3 it says u need the spring kit
BrianCrower.com - Brian Crower - BC - Nissan - S13 & S14/S15 - SR20DE(T) (http://www.briancrower.com/makes/nissan/sr20det.shtml)

are u talking about stage 2 or 3? if u're still talking about 2 then i think the cams are not the problem

S14DB
08-18-2008, 11:05 PM
You should experience coil bind before the retainer would get near the oil seal. I think when the valves kissed the piston they rocked and let oil by.

aNskY
08-18-2008, 11:11 PM
stage 2 cams are the cams that done need the springs

stage 3 it says u need the spring kit
BrianCrower.com - Brian Crower - BC - Nissan - S13 & S14/S15 - SR20DE(T) (http://www.briancrower.com/makes/nissan/sr20det.shtml)

are u talking about stage 2 or 3? if u're still talking about 2 then i think the cams are not the problem

stage 2. they are very high lift... i know springs are not "needed" but i did them as a precaution. but lift in combination with head being milled too much i believe is the problem... does anyone know how much more lift i would get with oil pressure.. if any.. i mean theyre not even lifters but lash adjusters right?
im about to scrap this build and start over,

WILDACEX187
08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
did u get an answer to this?

aNskY
08-22-2008, 01:42 PM
nope. pulled out pistons and theres no play at all in wrist pins, mains and rod bearings are brand new, all my hla's were 100% bled and solid..... but clearance checked out fine when i checked like i said. i dont get it.

WILDACEX187
08-23-2008, 03:39 AM
put it back together and see. im in nyc also if u need help. i wanna run BC stage 3's on my car but hesitating a lil now lol

aNskY
08-23-2008, 10:31 AM
appreciate the offer dude but i am like 2 hours upstate.

i pulled out a valve to check my stem seals, i think i fucked it up with the pliers so i dont know if theyre actually bad (s14db might be correct about them), gotta take it to machine shop to check because i dont have proper tools to remove and install valvetrain. gotta find a new machine shop first because i wasn't really happy with the one i used even before any of this (i asked him to port and polish, he ported but did not polish and still charged me and even his porting isnt great)