PDA

View Full Version : kouki s14sr20det and zenki ecu/maf???

nathancolston
07-17-2008, 09:06 AM
am i gaining or losing anything by having the kouki s14 sr and having the zenki ecu and maf?? i bought a swap and they gave me the older model ecu and maf with the newer engine?? i was curious because my i am spitting black smoke out when i get into boost. i was reading on a forum about having the wrong ecu can cause that?? i do not have a wide ban to check the afr's i was seeing if i was ok with the mixed match parts? thanks!

95KA-Turbo
07-17-2008, 02:32 PM
The Zenki ECU and MAF will not work properly on the Kouki SR. You've got to get the proper ECU and MAF for the motor (unless you're running a kouki block and head with zenki manifolds, sensors, wiring harness and all that good stuff).

You need a black NA coded ECU and an oval plug MAF (I am not sure if the Zenki oval MAF will work, probably not).

nathancolston
07-17-2008, 06:47 PM
i ahve had the car running for about 100 miles now and havent had any real noticable problems. other than the black smoke..? so what exactly is different between the two ecu's and mafs? i had to cut the maf plug off and rewire the other on into the engine harness..... thanks!

DrtyRat
07-17-2008, 06:52 PM
am i gaining or losing anything by having the kouki s14 sr and having the zenki ecu and maf?? i bought a swap and they gave me the older model ecu and maf with the newer engine?? i was curious because my i am spitting black smoke out when i get into boost. i was reading on a forum about having the wrong ecu can cause that?? i do not have a wide ban to check the afr's i was seeing if i was ok with the mixed match parts? thanks!
Performance wise, I doubt there's any difference. I have a kouki SR, and before I got my haltech, I had a WC ecu. You are actually better off w/the zenki one, b/c there's more aftermarket support for ecu upgrades. Do you have a BOV, that is not recirculated? That could be the reason for the black smoke.

nathancolston
07-17-2008, 06:53 PM
yes i do have a bov and no its not recirc.. is that what it needs to be?

DrtyRat
07-17-2008, 06:57 PM
yes i do have a bov and no its not recirc.. is that what it needs to be?
I would say that there's a good chance that, that is the problem. If you have the HKS SSQV they sell a recirculating kit, as do other brands. Just search in the tech section, and you'll find hundreds of threads that refer to the problem that running a atmospheric BOV will cause, w/a stock ecu. Good luck.

nathancolston
07-17-2008, 08:20 PM
thanks for the help, and if anyone has anything else that ok too. the bov is a turbo xs rfl. im going to get a new one any way so maybe ill get the hks...

fliprayzin240sx
07-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Wait, what harness are you running? I always thought Kouki and Zenki S14 uses different wiring harness and the ECU plugs are different between the 2.

As far as the smoke, does it happen all the time or just certain times? Is there anything else like bogging? If it happens on all the time, check your vacuum/boost lines. You might be leaking air and the engine is running really rich.

nathancolston
07-17-2008, 09:12 PM
i am running the kouki harness with a spliced zenki maf plug. as for the smoke... i didn't even know it was doing it until a buddy told me. i haven't seen it personally but ill have to ask a friend to get behind me and describe it a little more.
the only other thing thats happening is when i blow off and let it go back to idle it goes to 400-900 for a sec. i am pretty sure the bov is sticking open. i got the bov off a buddy and he had a ton of washers in it and i think it may have weakened the spring. if i take out the washers then the car wants to die at idle. i need a new one!!
o and the ecu plug wasn't diff for me??

mjr321
03-27-2010, 11:21 AM
As long as the harness , MAF, and ecu Match up you Are good to go, and it's true that it could be an advantage due to the upgrades fir the older ecu, and if you just started running the motor the black smoke is normal just keep it runnin all that is the buildUp insde from it sittin