PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question

x'ed
02-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey guys, so I mentioned this in another thread but didn't get a whole lot of responses. My car is getting close to ready to hit the track, just picked up some q45 rotors and calipers along with a j30 diff last weekend and am having my coilovers rebuilt.

Even though the main reason I got this car was for track duty, I really want to drive it on the street. The only problem is that I have an sr and a hks high power exhaust, which is both huge and loud. It sounds awesome, but I will get pulled over in five minutes in my city with this exhaust.

I need to find an exhaust that will not hold back my power too much, but is much quieter and has a much smaller exhaust tip, like much, much smaller. Can you guys point me in the right direction? I have searched all over the oracle (google), but alot of sites dont lists the sizes of the tips. I would HUGELY appreciate if you guys could help me, I have gotten a bunch of help here putting my car together, once I do this and get my t25 turned into a t28 I am done with this car for a long while. Thanks!

lazy240
02-20-2008, 03:04 PM
try looking on ebay

MomentumGT
02-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Try an Apexi World Sport or the black'd out version NOIR. From a distance the NOIR looks almost stock and is relatively more quiet. Had it on my daily s13.

-Jon

x'ed
02-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Man your awesom Jon, always helping out. Thanks buddy, I swear one day when I actually can afford to buy new stuff I am going straight to you guys. Are you going to be at cali speedway next month?

GSXRJJordan
02-20-2008, 03:16 PM
I've mentioned my Apexi WS Noir as the perfect street exhaust many times. It has a 4"+ tip, but since the whole thing is black and holds very tightly to the stock rear bumper, it's almost invisible to "casual looks" - still flows though, as it's a true 3" straight-through system.

I'll probably be selling the one off my S13 within a month, shoot me a PM, I'll make ya a deal on it.

x'ed
02-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I think even a 4 inch tip is too much for me, even if it sounds quite and is dark. I was looking for something with a 2.5-3inch tip, the cops in san dimas are crazy, plus my looks about as obvious as yours gsxr, it's pretty clear its fixed up. I just don't want to give any reason to be pulled over, I am also taking my body kit off.

GSXRJJordan
02-20-2008, 03:27 PM
It's not that bad, and remember, it's "street legal"! <93db. Crappy cell phone pics:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4633/pic0119mj2.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8578/pic0057fu6.jpg

x'ed
02-20-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah that isn't too bad, I will shoot you a pm if I can't find anything I am more comfortable with. Do they make that particular model any smaller by chance? I am not too far from you, but alhambra isn't too bad, at least when I was a kid it wasn't. That is where I got into this scene, when I was like 11 my best friend new a bunch of guys in "sonic racing crew", lol, sounds so corny now. This was like 1994-95.

PhilthyS13
02-20-2008, 07:36 PM
+1 for the apexi noir. I really like mine, very incognito. Plus you can't tell if it's dirty because it's black. Only thing is the tip sticks out a little far for my taste.

There is also the blitz realize tt, but I have no experience with it.

x'ed
02-21-2008, 12:00 AM
The tip on the noir is huge though, does it come smaller than four inches? I can't believe how cheap turbo and cat back exhausts are on ebay.

MomentumGT
02-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Man your awesom Jon, always helping out. Thanks buddy, I swear one day when I actually can afford to buy new stuff I am going straight to you guys. Are you going to be at cali speedway next month?

Thanks man! We're trying to make the Cali Speedway event in March. Everything is pretty much in, or will be in, the car but the Painless Wiring is kicking my ass as I'm not a wiring guy. LOL. Kind of waiting on the ems as well tho', but yeah...if you're there don't hesitate to stop by and hang out.

-Jon

Koopa Troopa
02-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Have a section of your exhaust hacked out and get a resonator welded in place of. You keep your exhaust and go ticket free...

Dream240
02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
The tip on the noir is huge though, does it come smaller than four inches? I can't believe how cheap turbo and cat back exhausts are on ebay.

They're cheap because they're crap.

And they're very, very, very loud. Not recommended for DD even with the included silencer. I speak from experience, don't waste your money.

I know HKS made a dual tip exhaust that was meant for the stock look, can't remember what it's called but I know it's OOP. And really, an exhaust is the least of your worries when driving your track car as a DD. Rims, wings, lowered, window tint, stickers....these and more are cop magnets in CA.

Really you DO realize they have cops that patrol soley to find illegal cars and impound them, right? Hell they can even tow your car while it's parked at Wal-Mart while your inside buying some Wranglers and Equate toothpaste. Your best chance is to find your local coppers main patrol areas and steer clear as much as possible. Oh and don't break the law while driving, that just makes it easier for you to get busted.

GL

x'ed
02-21-2008, 03:24 PM
They're cheap because they're crap.

And they're very, very, very loud. Not recommended for DD even with the included silencer. I speak from experience, don't waste your money.

I know HKS made a dual tip exhaust that was meant for the stock look, can't remember what it's called but I know it's OOP. And really, an exhaust is the least of your worries when driving your track car as a DD. Rims, wings, lowered, window tint, stickers....these and more are cop magnets in CA.

Really you DO realize they have cops that patrol soley to find illegal cars and impound them, right? Hell they can even tow your car while it's parked at Wal-Mart while your inside buying some Wranglers and Equate toothpaste. Your best chance is to find your local coppers main patrol areas and steer clear as much as possible. Oh and don't break the law while driving, that just makes it easier for you to get busted.

GL

I drive very smartly, zero tickets since I was 16. It's not a hardcore track car, just set up to learn how to race right now in hddp. One the body kit is removed it will just look like any other 240, just lowered with 18 inch wheels. I've never met anyone that got pulled over becuase of their wheels, it's for the exhaust 99.9% of the time in my experience. I decided to just go to my local exhaust shop and have them weld on a quieter muffler with a moderately sized tip. So if you guys are interested in a hks high power cat back, keep your eyes peeled next week, lol. Thanks guys.

And Jon, I will definately stop by your guys paddock and chat you up, I love the way your car looks. I am going to be there with some of my old crossfire buddies (one of which competes in ttd), one of them is swapping an srt6 engine (supercharged 3.2l v6) into his manual transmissioned crossfire. Should be pretty sweet, his name is Derek Grover if you guys have seen him out there, he has finished twice in his class two years in a row in his crossfire.