PDA

View Full Version : NA KA24DE motors love to breathe!... My stock motor dyno... PICS!...

Nikeboy355
02-12-2008, 06:31 PM
http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Dyno%20021808/IMG_0918.JPG pic below

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Dyno%20021808/IMG_0918.JPG

Took my car to the dyno today... Here are the mods...

Rebuilt S14 KA24DE
eBay intake
Greddy 80mm downpipe
Buddyclub Spec 2 80mm exhaust
80mm testpipe

That's it...

155.0 WHP
155.9 WTQ

Here is a graph comparing this KA24DE with my old SOHC KA24E motor...

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Dyno%20021808/021208dyno.JPG

and here is graph comparing with the silencer in and with it out...

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/34257-1/IMG_0961.JPG

So it looks like KAs like to breathe... No power losses anywhere!... 11 HP gain and no loss in torque... An improvement on both powerbands...

I think this is consistent with all the NA KA graphs that we have seen recently... These motors aren't bad at all!... A usable powerband from 3500-6000 RPM... Playing with gearing could really yield a lot of improvement at the track...

A while ago I remember a guy, Alex Chang, who moderated on another forum and personally tracked an S13 with a stock KA... He did a similar experiment where he wanted to see if the "loss in torque because the exhaust is too big" theory was real... In his case, he noticed the same thing... The KA likes big exhausts and there was no losses anywhere... Here is his graph from a couple years ago...

His mod list was:
S13 KA24DE
AEM cold air intake
JWT ECU
PDM testpipe 2.25"
5Zigen Pro Racer 80mm exhaust

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/34254-1/IntakeExhaust1.jpg

Alex also competed in Formula D as well as plenty of road course events all over California...

http://photos.freshalloy.com/gallery/d/34251-1/alexFD08290404.jpg

And then there is Derek's graph that I like to compare against... Another heavy breathing NA KA... I like looking at the ITBs versus the Omega intake manifold...

The blue graph is with the ITBs and the red graph is with the Omega Motive intake manifold... Big difference just by changing the manifolds!...

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/files/1037518_s3bs4/itbmrdvsomegamrd.jpg

Videos coming...

kamikazekid
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
thats not bad at all, I wanna see someone fully build an NA KA.
-lightend flywheel
-aluminum driveline
-Intake
-exhaust
-cams
-valves
-ported and polished
I wanna know what those numbers would be. if it was in the 200hp range, i would seriously consider throwing some cash that way.

wannabe_drifter
02-12-2008, 06:42 PM
On the last graph which curve represent which intake ???
What were the other mods ?

Is it only me who think its werid that the S14 engine is quite a bit more powerful than the S13 even though the S13 has a JWT ECU. And by 15 hp !!

Could that only be the 2.25 inch test pipe ???

Kwonza Says
02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
thats not bad at all, I wanna see someone fully build an NA KA.
-lightend flywheel
-aluminum driveline
-Intake
-exhaust
-cams
-valves
-ported and polished
I wanna know what those numbers would be. if it was in the 200hp range, i would seriously consider throwing some cash that way.

Yea pushing 200 with thoes mods if its true id jump on that too : ) siick

anyotherone
02-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Your motor is very strong to pull 150whp with just exhaust.

Most people really won't listen when it comes to N/a KA... I posted up some before/after dynos a couple of years ago with some mods and here was my results.

Run 2 = bone stock KA24de 88,000 miles
Run 7 = blitz realize 3" catback exhaust
Run 14 = 3" Catback + crappy pacesetter header

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/anyotherone/Dynos/CAM_KA.jpg

Sorry, they exported weird and the torque got cut off.

Oh, I just noticed that your motor was rebuilt, that would explain some extra power.

s13 drifta
02-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Very nice nikeboy, I can wait to dyno my new s14 swap Im doing with a bunch of bolt ons and tuning, I will post up dyno charts when its done.

Daryl
02-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Great numbers! Not bad for a first time rebuild! :bigok:

tschad
02-12-2008, 07:51 PM
would you do cold air or short ram intake on a kade?

HemiCharger
02-12-2008, 07:53 PM
not bad for a frontier engine. Put a turbo on it and watch it double.

UsJdmTUner
02-12-2008, 07:56 PM
thats what im talking about.... KA FTW....

s13 drifta
02-12-2008, 07:57 PM

Short ram, better throttle response.

s13 drifta
02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
not bad for a frontier engine. Put a turbo on it and watch it double.

Anyone can throw a snail on and get power, NA power FTW!

Silverbullet
02-12-2008, 08:02 PM
And then there is Derek's graph that I like to compare against... Another heavy breathing NA KA... I like looking at the ITBs versus the Omega intake manifold...

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/files/1037518_s3bs4/itbmrdvsomegamrd.jpg

What I think I get out of all of this is that we can extract more power out of this motor as well as tune how we want the powerband to what we desire...

Do you have any idea how much trial and error testing went into that car?

long stroke motors just simply aren't power happy up top.

soreballz
02-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Nikeboy, are you running a cat at all? Or a test pipe?

GREAT numbers, btw. You should swap to the 248/248 setup (with the cam gears drilled to be "adjustable", as well) and see how much more power you'll make then.

KA240SX808
02-12-2008, 10:41 PM
155/155 w/ I/H/E is pretty impresive

kandyflip445
02-12-2008, 11:01 PM
He didn't say he had a header...did he?

Dutchmalmiss
02-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Jeeeeesus those are insane numbers for such a near stock setup. I'm curious to know if your SOHC motor was setup the same way (i.e. bolt ons w/ rebuild).

markyboi
02-12-2008, 11:43 PM
i think one of the reason he is getting such high numbers is because he had a rebuilt engine. The other engine dyno did not say if their engines had a rebuild.

those numbers are nice btw. props to you

DreamN
02-12-2008, 11:50 PM
ditto, it's a fresh engine so it's pulling the numbers it should rather than an engine that's 10+ years old with 100k+ mileage on it.

Can't wait till I have enough to rebuild mine with some goodies and hopefully put down the same kind of numbers.

Anto
02-13-2008, 01:24 AM
True, rebuilding a motor isn't TOO expensive & can is a good starting point for turbo as well.

punxva
02-13-2008, 07:07 AM
True, rebuilding a motor isn't TOO expensive & can is a good starting point for turbo as well.

yeah i built mine and had just bolt ons including lightweight flywheel and such and put down 150ish with low comp pistons, Derek Greaser is local to me, and his setup has been gawked over for awhile now on forums, but if you wanted similar results expect on spending over 10+ g's on it all together, he works at a shop that has a flowbench and dyno so he did it all as research and development, so he didn't pay for most of it

The Chad
02-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Check out PDM-Racing's Track car on their site. They do all their own tuning and claim to have "hacked" the KA24DE ECU and have tuned it to close to 180hp with only their cams and the ECU and i believe basic bolt-ons...i.e.: Exhaust, Intake etc... Pretty sick to me :)

Neejay
02-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Niiice numbers.

Yeah, on my stock non-rebuilt KA24DE I/H/stock exhaust + stock cat = 134hp/134tq

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/neejay/neejay_ka.jpg

There's another dyno day coming up on 2/23 that I'll be attending again since I've installed 3" dual N1s + resonated 3" test pipe.

Would an exhaust leak in the piping cause a noticeable loss in hp or tq?

dragon_x330
02-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Brian Crower Fully Counterweighted crank that bad boy and throw on some high compression pistons, JWT cams and ITB's not to mention a port and polish and watch that baby revv up high and make some mean HP numbers N/A.

Btw...anybody hear from the BC Crank steup yet? Still have yet to hear what kind of benefits you'll get from that $3000 crank...

HKSdrift3r
02-13-2008, 08:26 AM
sick numbers man!! KA-(t is the shiznit also) or go home!

S14DB
02-13-2008, 09:13 AM
A while ago I remember a guy, Alex Chang, who moderated on another forum and personally tracked an S13 with a stock KA... He did a similar experiment where he wanted to see if the "loss in torque because the exhaust is too big" theory was real... In his case, he noticed the same thing... The KA likes big exhausts and there was no losses anywhere... Here is his graph from a couple years ago...
LoL... I called Alex on the phone back in 2002-2003 cause I wanted a exhaust and no one really carried 5zigen. I wanted a 3" but he strongly suggested 2.5" for NA. Then he goes back on it years later after I went from 2.5 to 3"

sigh...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/240sx/Dyno/DynoCompare.jpg

Nikeboy355
02-13-2008, 02:36 PM
http://Nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Dyno 021808/NitinJ_TwoGears.AVI

Right Click and Save... 18MB...

Running through the gears with no load on the dyno is always fun...
I've got a couple more...

Crappy YouTube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYjzcpNykAk

Anto
02-13-2008, 03:50 PM
MMMM. sounds healthy.

Nikeboy355
02-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Another one... Final run...

http://Nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Dyno 021808/NitinJ_DynoFinalRun.AVI

Right Click and Save... 94 MB

Crappy YouTube version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fcGBfAND7Y

HKSdrift3r
02-13-2008, 08:47 PM
god damn thats loud!

KA240SX808
02-13-2008, 10:07 PM

Better yet, no Header lmao

Neejay
02-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Better yet, no Header lmao
But I've heard that getting an aftermarket shorty s14 header didn't yeild any results anyway, but at least he does have a downpipe connected to the stock shorty header.

Dream240
02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Short ram, better throttle response.

And you can definitely notice the difference with your ass dyno. But throw a lightened crank pulley, and aluminum flywheel and watch those rpms jump even quicker!! Even more so with the 1-piece driveshaft. All this on a lightweight S13 makes for some serious stop and go fun.

ahhhh.... I miss my old 91 hatch. S14 are so much more heavy when you throw them around.

EDacIouSX
02-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Na sounds so lame compared to turbo though..... even Super charger sounds better than na

wannabe_drifter
02-14-2008, 12:49 PM
^^ I always thought (still do) the opposite. NA cars sounds much more agressive to me especially when really powerfull.

Just an opinion though ...

Neejay
02-14-2008, 12:52 PM
^^ I always thought (still do) the opposite. NA cars sounds much more agressive to me especially when really powerfull.

Just an opinion though ...
+1 That's my experience anyway.

s13 drifta
02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
And you can definitely notice the difference with your ass dyno. But throw a lightened crank pulley, and aluminum flywheel and watch those rpms jump even quicker!! Even more so with the 1-piece driveshaft. All this on a lightweight S13 makes for some serious stop and go fun.

ahhhh.... I miss my old 91 hatch. S14 are so much more heavy when you throw them around.

Hell yeah the ass dyno really does notice a gain, I have the same setup lightened flywheel and aluminum pullies and it is rev happy. I think adding a aluminum driveshaft to that setup would drop rev too fast though.

S14DB
02-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Hell yeah the ass dyno really does notice a gain, I have the same setup lightened flywheel and aluminum pullies and it is rev happy. I think adding a aluminum driveshaft to that setup would drop rev too fast though.

How? The driveshaft is after the tranny. When the clutch is disengaged it's not connected to the engine so would have no effect.

numnutzzz
02-14-2008, 01:17 PM
i think he ment a light flywheel would drop the rev faster since there's not as much rotating mass compared to a stock flywheel.

Dutchmalmiss
02-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm thinking the aluminum driveshaft would free up horsepower because of the reduced rotating mass while in gear. Lightened flywheels put less weight/stress on the motor itself also freeing up horsepower, BUT slightly reduces overall torque.

Gran Turismo educates me, haha.

Dream240
02-14-2008, 01:53 PM
The lightened flywheel makes the revs drop ALOT faster. If you don't have a short shifter and crisp clutch, you'll be sputtering everywhere. Definitely doesn't allow you to make casual ho-hum shifts like with the stock flywheel.

And no the lightened parts don't reduce torque, this has been discussed on here somewhere. All they do is lighten the load on the engine, allowing more power to be transferred to the wheels.

When you start changing the A/F ratio is when you start messing with torque numbers. Header, exhaust, cat removal, MAF changes, upgrade fuel system, etc.

aznpoopy
02-14-2008, 02:47 PM
i've had a fidanza for a while. it's not hard to drive at all.

and dream is correct. it doesn't reduce torque anywhere.

it does make the car's low end *feel* a bit weaker. what is really going on is the amount of momentum stored in the flywheel is reduced, requiring a bit more engine power for that initial push and go off a dead stop.

Dream240
02-14-2008, 03:08 PM
what is really going on is the amount of momentum stored in the flywheel is reduced, requiring a bit more engine power for that initial push and go off a dead stop.

yeah it's almost like it you just need to find that right accelerator amount-to-clutch to have nice peppy launches from a stop. Not necessarily doing clutch drops everytime, but just giving it a bit more gas before you let out the clutch, to get that flywheel moving faster before the load gets placed on it. Engaging the clutch in everyday driving is really still a no-brainer once you drive the car for about 5 mins.

Really IMO lighten drivetrain parts are worth every penny.

Nikeboy355
02-14-2008, 03:55 PM
On the last graph which curve represent which intake ???
What were the other mods ?

Is it only me who think its werid that the S14 engine is quite a bit more powerful than the S13 even though the S13 has a JWT ECU. And by 15 hp !!

Could that only be the 2.25 inch test pipe ???

I edited the post to tell which graph is which...

Notice how much the graphs are different just by changing the way the air enters the motor... I really like the Omega Motive graph and think it would be perfect for my road course racing...

Very predictable and a linear feel as I am trying to squeeze everything out of it...

He did have other mods such as a standalone ECU, custom header, large cams, etc. ... Here is more on his setups...

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=175979

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=177042

As for having more power than the S13 KA... I think it has to do with that 2.25" testpipe and the fact that that motor had about 130K on it as well...

Just by putting the silencer in, I lost 11HP, I'm guessing the smaller testpipe did the same thing...

Nikeboy355
02-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Both... I'd like to make a short ram cold air intake...

I want to move the battery to the back and have the intake go through where the battery tray is and pull air from under the front bumper...

wannabe_drifter
02-14-2008, 07:10 PM
11 hp w/ the silencer !! wow, I thought it would cut power down but never thought that much ... !!

BigVinnie
02-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Rebuilt S14 KA24DE

I am curious to know the Compression Ratio and bore of that rebuild. An over bore with stock quench would yield a higher compression.
It would be nice to know what those numbers are. Also are those 232/232 or 240/248 cams?

Also the over bore decreases valve shrouding so the mushroom effect in your cylinder is more efficient.

kandyflip445
02-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Fidanza flywheels are awesome. I think a driveshaft would be great just to get rid of those rubber exhaust hanger things they use on the stock 2 piece. Those drive me crazy. I swear I can feel them flex, but I guess I'll see when I replace mine. lol

And it didn't seem any harder to drive. Easier actually. But I have a short shifter already. *shrug*

specialk2003
02-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I was pretty impresses with my NA KA too. I ended up with 150hp and 145 ft/lbs. at a mile high. I have intake and a catback (90mm I think, could be 80, not sure, it was on the car when I bought it). And I am running E-85 (with tune).

I really wish I had a copy of my dyno on my comp.

s13pignose
02-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Saw on you tube a red s13 I think claimed to be the quickest NA KA in the states? I think it ran an 11 something..but some people said that was on spray? Anyone seen it before

Z U L8R
02-14-2008, 08:32 PM
hell yeah man! good stuff right there!

i've been telling these guys....ka's ain't no joke, i just recently sold my Z because i'm in love with my 72 Datsun 510. i put an s14 KADE in it cause i wanted the challenge of taking names with the "underdog" motor. i'm doing a full ka-t build on an s13 motor +gt35r. i have gsxr1000 itb's i may use or i may go cheap and get an aftermarket intake manifold. all i know is 500rwhp in a 2000lb Datsun go-kart is gonna kick ass. =]

^ spray is still N/A....least in my book :D

i look at it like, if Ivan can get 700rwhp out of his ka, why the hell can't i get 500 out of mine? cam on valve, no rocker arm stopper crap, more displacement, no aluminum block, no timing belt, U.S. motor so parts easy to get, and the aftermarket support is starting to catch on as well.....

it's about time we show these guys, you don't need a 3 rotor, a 2j, an rb26, a v8 or any other motor swap with the "wow" factor to make power.
if you can take your street car to the track, throw some slicks on it, and run low 10's or high 9's a lot of people are gonna give u props, then they ask what motor is it expecting to hear the typical swap answer, and you tell em it's a ka.....that's just icing on the cake =]

i love being the sleeper/underdog

gj man, keep us posted on ur progress
Dave =]

ryan hagen
02-14-2008, 08:57 PM
i have been working on one for awhile. I have all these parts, with the exception i am still working on making the intake manifold, i file fit the rings and jsut need to assemble it,

11.5:1 pistons, they are nismo domed for ka24e .5mm over
mild porting
ross machine style shorter runner intake manifold
pace setter long tube headers that have been cut and attached to a flowmaster scavenger collector
d21 fly wheel lightened to 17.5lbs with z32 spec clutch
248/248 cams
dual springs ti retainers(super tech)
arp head studs
370cc injectors
calico coated rod bearings( had them when i sent some other coated so i thought why not)
cryo treated oem rods resized and fitted with sr20det rod bolts.

i have been emailing with a guy who sells tuned ecu's on ebay, he has some one locally who has a similiar set up. im running a maf with the purple lable 3"

so all i need are the ecu tune, and to finish the intake, then finish assembly. i have tried 3 different headers, the pace setter i thought gave the best power band, so i thought i d make it better by switching the collector. the car this is going in and i have been experimenting with is the car known as "pirate car" with the skull and cross bones, it was driven at laughlin by my friend doug who is sold on the n/a ka idea. the car was on octane tv alot, or at least the door with the pirate logo was.

i cant wait to get the engine done and in so i can get a dyno. hopefully the car will be in nopi events n/a in it up.

Z U L8R
02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
ryan ur maf is off a maxima i believe

ryan hagen
02-14-2008, 09:10 PM
yah, i cant rember which is which, on my ka-t i have a z32, and this was from a vg30de fwd, i didnt want to say n62 or n60 and get tore apart cause i couldnt remember which one.

but anyways, any one who was at laughlin or at nopi try outs in florida this weekend will see or did see pirate car in action, it has a obx header currently, unorthadox pulley, drive shaft shop steel shaft, s14 ka with s13 cams, and a nology coil, 3" exhaust, and a intake, and due to a injector issue the number 1 rod is bent, but my friend needed it and i didnt have the new engine ready, he ran at laughlin with a bent rod and it just smokes a bit. i thought it needed to be back up in may or april then he decided to go to this event, i had been working on build my ka-t car back into working condition. too many projects, too little time and $

ryan ur maf is off a maxima i believe

inertiaticism
02-14-2008, 09:36 PM
I've always found it funny how people seem to be astonished when someone makes better than average power out of an NA KA.
It's just a fucking engine, people. Air pump. More air in, bigger boom, make it easier to get out.
I have no problem whatsoever believing that a well built, high comp KA with ITBs or carbs, a good header and exhaust, aggressive head porting and a high duration, high lift cam set will make at least 200hp.
At 200hp, I don't see it being the tractable, always torquey, dead-nuts reliable truck motor that we've all learned to love, but it seems really doable.
Hell, I've seen NA 200hp 1.8l counterflow SOHC VW engines before and they make about 90hp stock. Only one I've seen was on Webers and was about as powerful as the average starter motor before 6k, but it was mean sounding for sure.
I would put money on it being easier to get it out of a single cammer, but I don't think an experienced engine builder would have any problem with it.

I'd like to see flow bench numbers of a SOHC and DOHC head, or at least one of each bisected to see what there is to work with in it.

Z U L8R
02-15-2008, 07:03 AM
^ agreed, i would assume the dohc head flows better but it's worth testing

rumor has it also that s13 kaDE's when boosted make a little higher numbers than s14 kaDe's.....just was something my tuner's noticed over the years at his place...

Dave =]

s13pignose
02-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Here's that vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEmlmJXFEos

anyone seen b4

Nikeboy355
02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Stock S14 header...

articdragon192
02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
That;s great Nitin. I hit those number back before I crashed my 240 with drop in filter/ header/ exhaust set up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/ArticDragon192/CAM_0232.jpg

Dual exhaust cams will help the top end by a good amount.

Nikeboy355
02-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Na sounds so lame compared to turbo though..... even Super charger sounds better than na
I agree and disagree...

This NA motor sounds like crap driving around the streets... Seriously...
It's loud, lumpy, pops, and sounds like a diesel truck when decelerating...

But I believe that any motor can sound good at full throttle... The video doesn't do it justice but being on the track and letting the throttle open all the way, it all sounds good... Here I am with some Porsches a couple of months ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbKMUkjOuh4

But this is what it sounds like moving around the pits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtM3f8TqZrg

This car is strictly a track car so what it sounds or looks like is a second priority... It needs to perform first and that exhaust setup helped me pull 20ish HP extra just by itself...

PoorMans180SX
02-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Nitin, what oil are you running?

Sonic Motor
02-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Took my car to the dyno today... Here are the mods...

Rebuilt S14 KA24DE
eBay intake
Greddy 80mm downpipe
Buddyclub Spec 2 80mm exhaust
80mm testpipe

That's it...

155.0 WHP
155.9 WTQ

wow, thats almost as much as a stock SR20DET!!!
Awesome. That thing must be hella loud.

s13 drifta
02-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah I would have to say the buddy club spec 2 exhaust is the best performing exhaust I have ever tried, but its louder than shit without a silencer.

Nikeboy355
02-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I am curious to know the Compression Ratio and bore of that rebuild. An over bore with stock quench would yield a higher compression.
It would be nice to know what those numbers are. Also are those 232/232 or 240/248 cams?

Also the over bore decreases valve shrouding so the mushroom effect in your cylinder is more efficient.

Stock bore
Stock S14 cams... 232/232

All I did was:
Hone cylinder walls...
Had machine shop measure bore and check for roundness...
New main and rod bearings... Plastigauge to check clearances...
New OEM Nissan piston ring set...
Clean everything ofcourse... Chemical clean by machine shop...
New gasket set ofcourse...
Torque everything down to Nissan FSM specs...

Here are some of the pics of the rebuild...

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Engine%20assembly/IMG_5452.JPG

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Engine%20assembly/IMG_5452.JPG

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Engine%20assembly/IMG_5455.JPG

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Engine%20assembly/IMG_5457.JPG

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Engine%20assembly/IMG_5468.JPG

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Engine%20assembly/IMG_5469.JPG

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Engine%20assembly/IMG_5477.JPG

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Engine%20assembly/IMG_5476.JPG

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/Engine%20assembly/IMG_5482.JPG

http://nitinj.com/Images/240SX2/S13forsale/12.jpg

Nikeboy355
02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Nitin, what oil are you running?
Castrol GTX 10W-30... Something about the amount of moly in the oil...
Nissan OEM oil filter...

Oil was dropped after every event... Filter changed after every other event...
6 oil changes in the last year... Haha!...

I believe in changing the oil more frequently than using over priced oil...

Here is a video of the car starting for the first time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXJ_EvmdywA

PoorMans180SX
02-15-2008, 06:11 PM
I just wanted someone to prove that different oils make different power numbers. No one believes me.

You should try Eneos 0w-50. Just once on the dyno.

But I don't want to turn this into another oil thread. Nice results, makes me want to rebuild my KA!

Z U L8R
02-15-2008, 07:54 PM
i don't trust thin oils, i use castrol gtx 10w-30 or 10w-40 myself.

on first start up i use non-detergent 30w, let it idle for a second, then hold it at 1800rpm till it warms up, burp the coolant, top it off, drain the oil. then fill'er up with Rotella T. work my way from low throttle low rpm to mid throttle mid rpm, then to just a little before redline and wot within the first 60 miles so the rings etch in while there's still a fresh hone filing them down. and basically beat the motor's ass on the lowest boost possible using Rotella T deisal oil for the first 1500miles. changing the oil every 250 miles. then after 1500 miles, i'll retorque the arp head studs, and go with the castrol... but don't ever use synthetic on a fresh motor.

comp cams swears by rotella T for break in period. it's got ZDDP in it. zinc diaphosphate blah bla bla but the zddp in it may lead to premature catalytic converter failure so don't tell the dealer that's the oil u use if your cat goes bad before 8yrs/80k miles lol .....i love old cars...cats ftl...emmissions exempt FTW!

everyone has their own system/superstition i guess. personally i think synthetic sux. just my .02

Dave =]

ryan hagen
02-16-2008, 11:22 AM
this is the nissan motorsports piston for ka-e, instead of a little dish, it has a little dome. i put it next to a aftermarket 9.5:1 dohc piston.

TheJerk
02-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Awesome numbers.

Anto
02-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Here I am with some Porsches a couple of months ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbKMUkjOuh4

Niice job keeping up with those Porsches

DarkPhoenix
02-17-2008, 03:23 AM
Wow!! The KA always seems to impress me. My car has 115k on it (KA24E) and the car feels faster than my Galant. (2000 Galant ES 4g64 SOHC 16V, w/ Outlander intake mani, Megan Racing cat-back, ebay short ram intake, adjusted timing and a tune. It put down close to 165HP at the wheels before the tune and timing advance. My Galant weighs 3250 lbs with me in it and full interior)

I plan on getting it dynoed as a baseline for whatever work I do. For now the car is completely bone stock. Not even a drop in filter yet.

Great job on the NA/KA build.

BigVinnie
02-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Castrol GTX 10W-30... Something about the amount of moly in the oil...

From what I understand the castrol GTX oil has some of the best polymers for a conventional blended motor oil. I use the 10w-40 castrol gtx and I changed to fresh oil the same day as my dyno, I actually believe it helped gain a 1 to 2 HP on the dyno, then using any other conventional oil. Most people that I know that work on Nissans often recommend castrol GTX, it's good stuff and cheaper than mobil 1, I wouldn't even mind using the synthetic if my engine was newer.

TravisSW
02-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the stock factory HP for a DOHC 150hp?
Info:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to-1998-nissan-240sx-4.htm

/hides

Either way, I'm waiting to find another KA dohc to build up. :)
I have ITBs waiting inside my garage.

BigVinnie
02-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the stock factory HP for a DOHC 150hp?
Info:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1995-to-1998-nissan-240sx-4.htm

/hides

Either way, I'm waiting to find another KA dohc to build up. :)
I have ITBs waiting inside my garage.

Big difference there buddy.
Degradation loss to the wheels is estimated between 12~25% depending on the vehicle.
To the wheels a stock KA DOHC will make about 132 HP on the dyno.

ryan hagen
02-17-2008, 09:33 AM
the head bolts need to be replaced during the rebuild. how about the mainbolts? im using arp headstuds, but i did that just cause of the compression i was going to run. how about main bolts? i used arp main studs on my ka-t but didnt want to put that much $ into my n/a build, i built it mostly out of spare parts.

i could put my short block together today if i re-used my main bolts, otherwise i m waiting till i call in or go to a dealer, i priced them out a couple weeks ago, mainbolts were about $4 for several and the others $3 something.

Nikeboy355
02-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Shameless plug... I'm selling majority of the parts off this car to rebuild the chassis... And to build a monster NA KA motor for it...

http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?p=1827495#post1827495

I want to send the chassis to get caged while I prepare another motor... Help me spread the word...