PDA

View Full Version : VLSD and Pumpkin 90 questions 240SX hatch

jerryk
10-20-2007, 12:37 AM
I have two cars both the same 1990-240sx stick hatchbacks. I plan to keep the ABS (1) car but want to use my non-abs 240sx (2) for parts.

My car (2) tranny is completely rebuilt will it fit into the ABS (1) drive line without mods?
I want to remove ABS from car (1) but keep the calipers rear end pumpkin and drive line. Is this a problem? I want to install my VLSD unit that I purchased but not installed for Car 2 in Car 1’s pumpkin.
Do I need my BMC from Car(2)? Besides removing the big control unit under the hood, what other parts can I remove? I was told the ABS computer is in the rear on the driver’s side. Precisely where is it located?

projectRDM
10-20-2007, 08:59 AM
The transmission is exactly the same. You know this. Bypassing ABS requires simply swapping the master cylinder and firewall hardlines. Everything else can be removed. The ABS control unit is behind the rear quarter panel trim.

jerryk
10-20-2007, 10:57 AM
I know the tranny is the same I was concerned about the tranny housing. Therefore, I can remove the ABS control unit, ABS MC, ABS hard lines under the hood and the ABS computer under the trunk. Then use the hard lines and MC from my (2) car. Is there anything else that I can remove like sensors or relays? How much time should this take becuase I have to pay a shop to do the work.

projectRDM
10-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I know the tranny is the same I was concerned about the tranny housing. Therefore, I can remove the ABS control unit, ABS MC, ABS hard lines under the hood and the ABS computer under the trunk. Then use the hard lines and MC from my (2) car. Is there anything else that I can remove like sensors or relays? How much time should this take becuase I have to pay a shop to do the work.

If you know the transmission is the same, then why would think it's indeed different? That's makes zero sense. The transmission has absolutely nothing to do with the braking system.

You can remove the wheel speed sensors if you want, but there's really no need unless you have a buyer for them.

jerryk
10-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Thank you for getting back. Nissan played a lot of one of a kind game it those days and had so many non-interchangeable parts and frames that they almost went out of business. I wanted to make sure, because I heard the total drive shaft length, the pumpkin and the drive axles, calipers and rotors are different between the ABS and NON-ABS models. I have even been told that the internal transmissions are identical but the housing is different between the 89-90 models and the 91-93. I forgot to mention that a want to replace the tranny on the ABS car with my rebuilt unit from my non-ABS car. What is wrong about being careful? Do you have a time estimate on the removal and replacement of ABS?

pEcHeP
10-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Time estimate? Why are you trying to write this job for a customer?

Make sure you match the rear drive shaft to the diff because there is an abs sensor on the diff in the 13, which required lengthening of the case, and a shorter rear driveshaft.

jerryk
10-21-2007, 03:11 AM
Time estimate? Why are you trying to write this job for a customer?

Make sure you match the rear drive shaft to the diff because there is an abs sensor on the diff in the 13, which required lengthening of the case, and a shorter rear driveshaft.

I am the customer. My plan is to have my non-abs tranny put into the ABS car and install a VLSD unit into the ABS car's pumpkin. No change to drive shaft or diff case. Do you know the time est. for ABS removal and replacement with non-ABS lines and BMS?