PDA

View Full Version : welded manifold

jdms-14
09-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I currently have my manifold welded to the turbo on the 4 bolts, how can i get them apart so i can put my new s15 spec r turbo on???

I welded this because it was comming apart from the vibration of the motor...

Jtuned_andy
09-26-2007, 09:35 PM
you're gonna have to cut it off and machine both the flange surfaces. But depending on how far around the flange you welded, you might have to buy both a new manifold and turbo.

Next time use loctite and proper torque specs

rb25drag
09-26-2007, 09:38 PM
I currently have my manifold welded to the turbo on the 4 bolts, how can i get them apart so i can put my new s15 spec r turbo on???

I welded this because it was comming apart from the vibration of the motor...

Are you saying you welded the bolts on or the Flanges together? Either way you are going to have to take a die grinder and cut them apart. Then you need to setup the manifold on a mill or surface grinder some how and make the flange back perfectly flat or otherwise its going to leak around the gasket.:hammer:

jdms-14
09-26-2007, 09:39 PM
i didnt weld it all around, is just little spots on the sides of the bolts

Addicted2Kouki
09-26-2007, 09:49 PM
cut the welds.

statik
09-26-2007, 09:58 PM
YOU welded the nuts to the turbo and now you're wondering how to get it off...

Don't bother with loctite, it won't do shit. Order a set of locking plates from nissan for your new turbo, they come on the 300zx turbos. They prevent the nuts from back spinning.

http://www.ttzd.com/tech/engine/engine020.JPG

Jung918
09-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Pull out the plasma cutter or the oxyacetylene and get cutting. You can also try out carbon arc gouging.

iRun
10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Pull out the plasma cutter or the oxyacetylene and get cutting. You can also try out carbon arc gouging.

Im assuming that the bolts were tack welded to prevent them from backing out. Use a dremel cutting wheel and cut each tack weld.