PDA

View Full Version : 60k - plugs and wires

DSC
08-04-2002, 09:59 AM
Well, it's finally here...60,000mi.  When I replace plugs and wires, is it worth the extra money to get aftermarket vs oem?  I was told it makes a noticable difference but I'm not sure if it's actually worth the money.  I don't really care about getting like red wires or something so...what should I get?

hopeful
08-04-2002, 10:34 AM
well i see a point in buying expensive wires such as some htat would ive you something like 50 ohms per foot... and for the spark plugs i dont know... maybe the v spark plugs? i dunno how they would work but i cant see why not good because the spark plug is in the center of the chamber and all...

AKADriver
08-04-2002, 12:31 PM
It won't make a difference, really... most people that claim an improvement in performance from ignition parts are replacing worn parts.

All of my cars have been happiest on OEM quality plugs.  Changing the shape of the ground electrode is just a gimmick.  Platinum plugs last longer but copper or iridium conducts better...  But I'd use whatever the factory used.

If you have a big stereo you might want thicker wires for the RF shielding.

tnord
08-04-2002, 05:41 PM
just go with stock stuff, you know it works. there might be gains to be had from this, but they are obviously minimal, the real problem is that you could get ones that make the car run like crap.