PDA

View Full Version : Dash harness connector wires left from Single cam to Dual cam swap

jafero
03-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Engine: KA24DE 92 or 93 (doesn't have butterfly valve in the intake manifold)
Chassis: 89 s13 hatch (originally an auto and converted to manual)
EGR removed.
SCV removed.
FPR control solenoid and SCV control solenoid removed.
AC removed.
Charcoal canister removed.
PAIRC removed.

With advices of members of this forum, I was able to start my engine by connecting EFI harness to main body harness. After putting single cam dash harness connector onto dual cam EFI harness, I have several wires left on both harnesses.

EFI harness side (dual cam harness):
-Green with yellow stripe
-Green with balack stripe

Main body harness side (single cam harness):
-Purple
-Red with yellow stripe
-Red with green stripe
-very light green
-solid grey
-Grey with blue stripe

Because body harness is from 89 s13 with single cam, colors of wires don't match with EFI harness. Does any one know how the two wires on the EFI should be connected to main body harness wires?

I'm wondering if these left over wires are the cause of persistent low idle problem that I have with this engine. Engine is not responding to gas input. All vacuum hoses are connected.

nrg
03-06-2007, 11:48 PM
All wires should match by color; what ever is left over doesn't need to be wired up.
there's like 3 on the ka24de harness side and 4 on the ka24e harness side that doesn't match up. 8 wire should only be wired up.

jafero
03-07-2007, 12:01 AM
All wires don't match up in my case. I believe it is due to one harness is older than the other. Ony my KA24DE side, instead of 3, there are two wires left and on dash side there are 6 of them left out!

ohspizzill
03-07-2007, 12:21 AM
if i use a 91 dash harness wil i i not have to splice or cut aything?

nrg
03-07-2007, 01:13 AM
that's odd, a friend used a 91-93 ka24de harness and his 89 KA dash harness all matched up but a few wires. I did the soldering and wiring myself.
I believe only the s14 KA have the butterfly.

I hope you're using the KA24e dash harness at the end of the engine harness. not at the end of the harness inside the dash.

ohspizzill
03-07-2007, 01:29 AM
what would have to do not to splice anything if i do splice will i still be able to smog it?

jafero
03-07-2007, 01:41 AM
>that's odd, a friend used a 91-93 ka24de harness and his 89 KA dash harness all matched up but a few wires. I did the soldering and wiring myself.

You for real! This is odd! I will have to take a picture and uploade here for you to see. But the color combination on my dash harness is as written above. Those left out wires don't match anything on EFI side.

>I believe only the s14 KA have the butterfly.
This is great to know but will have to double check on this. Thanks!

>I hope you're using the KA24e dash harness at the end of the engine harness. not at the end of the harness inside the dash.
Eaxactly what I did.

projectRDM
03-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Another post of bad info.

91-early 93s had the SCVs, mid year 1993 saw the introduction of the 232 cams and the removal of the SCVs completely. No S14 has SCVs, period.

The dash plug wiring should only be what's written in every guide online:

orange - start signal
yellow/red - tach
yellow/green - VSS
black - ground
blue/black - temp gauge
blue/green - A/C signal

That's it. Nothing else is connected here. To the kid asking about a 1991 harness, all S13 DOHC harnesses are the same, 91-94. The above is required for any SOHC chassis. You can cut/solder or repin the connector but there's no other way around it.

jafero
03-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Another post of bad info.

91-early 93s had the SCVs, mid year 1993 saw the introduction of the 232 cams and the removal of the SCVs completely. No S14 has SCVs, period.

The dash plug wiring should only be what's written in every guide online:

orange - start signal
yellow/red - tach
yellow/green - VSS
black - ground
blue/black - temp gauge
blue/green - A/C signal

That's it. Nothing else is connected here. To the kid asking about a 1991 harness, all S13 DOHC harnesses are the same, 91-94. The above is required for any SOHC chassis. You can cut/solder or repin the connector but there's no other way around it.

Thanks a lot! Seems like I won't be able to use hatch window defrogger until I find additional wiring infos.

projectRDM
03-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Defogger has absolutely nothing to do with the engine harness.

There's a load signal to the ECU on S14s (possible also on S13s, don't recall), but it's just an input to ECU so it reads the defogger is turned on and can increase idle speed to compensate for the added electrical load. With or without the signal the defogger still works fine.

jafero
03-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Defogger has absolutely nothing to do with the engine harness.

There's a load signal to the ECU on S14s (possible also on S13s, don't recall), but it's just an input to ECU so it reads the defogger is turned on and can increase idle speed to compensate for the added electrical load. With or without the signal the defogger still works fine.

So it seems like disconnected wires on these connectors are not causing my engine to idle very low and not respond to gas pedal input... Better continue looking for other vac leaks then or deal with ECU.