PDA

View Full Version : STS Turbo set up

CrappyS13
05-14-2006, 08:05 PM
H ave you guys heard of STS? apparently its a moe effective way to turbo your car, instead of turboing off the exhasut manifold, they run it fron the back of the car near the muffler with hella long ic pipes, they say it runs cooler and with an intercooler it has huge gains. STS also claims less turbo lag because the temp is significantly less being that the ic pipe runs under the car for a long distance. I also heard they are patented too.

Anyone know about this?

I think it wouidl be cool to see someone fab it together.

www.ststurbo.com

OBEEWON
05-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Yes I was writing letters to the company back when I wanted to turbo my maxima. I think it is better for cars that have no space under the hood. But its also cool for a sleeper. They say you dont even need an intercooler since the ambient air under the car cools the charged air but i think thats only for lower boosts. I wouldnt want to do it on a 240 tho.

95zilvia
05-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Never drive in the rain again.

CrappyS13
05-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Never drive in the rain again.

i gotta agree with you on that one. i noticed they do alot of trucks an camaros and birds and shit...

fliprayzin240sx
05-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Just dont know how laggy it would be since ur doing this setup on a 4 banger. I know on the V6s and V8s, theres no lag and you since the pipes acts as an air exchanger, they dont need a fmic to cool the charge air down to a certain amount of boost. A guy I work with got a STS setup in his WS6 and he likes it. Hes planning on running 14 psi eventually when he gets a fmic and go alcohol injection.

CrappyS13
05-14-2006, 10:21 PM
but when you think about it, using stock exhasut and manifold nad real cat, it should be alot easier to sppol because the diameter is smaller making it more of a forced charge of air out the exaust to spool that turbo. and i also thoguht in terms of smog, cant you jsut yank your engine management and put a test pipe in the turbo and that would lessen the chances of getting caught with illegal shit suring smog. but you are right i dunno how effective running it on a 4 banger would be...

NemeGuero
05-14-2006, 10:46 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=103748

and flow is gonna suck, going through stock piping.. I wouldn't expect very good gains from it.. even though you can cool the air more, it'll heat up going back against the exhaust and near the engine and the benefits would basically dissappear.

All that tube length will take forever to fill..

You could do it, but WHY? lol

CrappyS13
05-14-2006, 11:40 PM
damn...evan jsut a thought

NemeGuero
05-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Yah, I wasn't hating.. just showing you the thread.
<3 Anthony, and I'm down for wake boarding.. I get done with school after this week so lets do it!

danger69
05-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Actually there was an article about STS putting their turbo on a Integra Type-R. You can check it out here in pdf.. And as for rain I remember seeing some type of filter cover that doesn't allow water to get into the filter. Or you can always use AEMS bypass valve.

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Press/stshcis.pdf

SiI40sx
05-15-2006, 02:53 AM
its trippy this is like the 6th time i thought about a certain idea and see it become a reality.

mjjstang
05-15-2006, 10:47 AM
theyve been doin this shit forever, my buddy is currently fabbing a rear turbo setup for his z28.

NemeGuero
05-15-2006, 12:20 PM
theyve been doin this shit forever, my buddy is currently fabbing a rear turbo setup for his z28.

Pics??........

mjjstang
05-15-2006, 02:17 PM
ill try to get some tonight, if im at their shop. hes currently installing an external oil pump for the long upward trip back to the oil pan.

EchoOfSilence
05-15-2006, 02:26 PM
It's called remote mounting, and they're been doing this forever, like mjjstang says. And as is already stated, larger displacement motors can charge the long ass piping fairly quickly, so lag isn't really an issue. No need for intercooling, as the turbo isn't heatsoaking in the engine bay, and the piping can cool off a bit. It's quiet as the turbo acts as the muffler too. There aren't THAT many drawbacks in a large displacement motor setup.

here's a pic. (Note: big ass picture:)
http://www.automedia2000.com/sts/sts0405A.jpg

NemeGuero
05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Heat, however is beneficial to have on the turbine side.. It increases their efficiency.

EchoOfSilence
05-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Well then i don't know why these guys just don't go SC, haha

CaoBoY
05-16-2006, 12:37 AM
that turbo will get knocked off driving down the street in a low ass 240. how many times do we all hit our exhuast piping? imagine catching the turbine....

theicecreamdan
05-16-2006, 12:51 AM
imagine putting it in a spot where it wouldnt hit the ground... people putting this much into fab work tend to foresee small problems like that and work around them.

anyotherone
05-16-2006, 12:24 PM
I have an SRT-10 Ram in my shop with one of the STS kits on it. It has been nothing but problems since day one. In my opinion, all of the benefits of this sort of setup are out-weighed by the drawbacks.

chibo
05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
I have an SRT-10 Ram in my shop with one of the STS kits on it. It has been nothing but problems since day one. In my opinion, all of the benefits of this sort of setup are out-weighed by the drawbacks.
Would you care to elaborate on the problems?

anyotherone
05-16-2006, 01:10 PM
We've pretty much had to redesign the oil return and pump system. I believe the other problems were mainly related to fitament... which is almost always an issue with any turbo kit. It just seems to be one thing after another.

Actually, the owner purchased the kit used and previously installed, so that may have something to do with the problems.