Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #91
LadyJdm
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (4)
LadyJdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yeah 1st i need to get my timing right on my s13, i have a 89 coupe and i have a 92 pully >_< lol so i gotta fix that soon, and maybe my car will feel alittle different than now, and im getting new tires next week so i mite see u guys on the track! <3
LadyJdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #92
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stinky_180
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJdm View Post
yeah 1st i need to get my timing right on my s13.
i would highly recommend getting a factory service manual and start reading the EF&EC section. adjusting timing, idle, tps voltages is really simple with basic tools (but you'll need a timing gun light). as for the KA24E, just do all your necessary maintenance.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #93
dubtastic

Trader Rating: (0)
dubtastic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have someone brake torque the engine at 2,500-3000 RPM while you advance(turn) your distributor until you start hearing an unpleasant noise. STOP. Now retard (turn opposite way) just a bit when no cylinder chatter (detonation) is heard. At this point of your ignition timing, you will have the maximum low end torque capable of being produced by your cute little SOHC KA in it's "as is" internal condition.

Awesome "tune up" the Hondas love it too.
dubtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #94
LadyJdm

hey i gotta question for everyone!! where can i get performance parts for ka24e engines????? i wanna build already cause i got money =) any good websites that sell single cam parts???? i cant find any T____T
Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #95
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
The parts exist but aren't readily available
what parts in particular are you looking for?
Mind you they probably won't be cheap
honestly, you'd be better off re-building a DOHC KA imo
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #96
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
yeah, SOHC are used for high end racing, and thats about it.
They have super charger builds going over on KA-t.

Or get ahold of Mario/Letslide, he just opened a shop and builds KA engines.
He would be able to point you in the right direction.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #97
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
The US Nissan Motorsports division had a bunch of cool parts for the KA-E, but they're pretty expensive from what I could remember.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #98
LadyJdm

aww dang..oh well i already knew it was gonna take money to build a motor, but i wanna upgrade on headers,cams, & basiclly EVERYTHING lol, im planing on going KA-T with this motor in the future, its going to be mainly for drifting tho

but hey! remeber awhile bak into this forum ppl talking bout a "white bunny clutch?"
well i got it! so im going to install them sometime soon! and cant wait! ^___^
Old 03-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #99
undesiredshoe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
undesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to undesiredshoe
Stay with the sohc, its pretty awesome.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #100
LadyJdm

oo fo shure i love it!! i mean dohc is nice also, but single cam is my fav! and to me a dohc feels the same to me but alittle bit more torguey<3

right now im looking for performance headers, but i dont know what to pick or if theres better options else where,

i want either bbp headers or pacesettlers (4-2-1) they look like good products, but i really want hotshot headers, but they dont sell/make them anymore T____T
Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #101
charlie321
Zilvia Addict

charlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to charlie321 Send a message via MSN to charlie321
If your going to go KAE-T, i wouldn't bother getting headers for the motor, and just go ahead and start getting the turbo pieces.

If your do insist on staying NA, I do know someone with a Single Cam Pace header for sale, pm me if you are interested.

We just put a Nismo R4 Cam into my buddies single cam, and we were all very impressed, don't worry about a cam right now if your gonna go KAE-T

I love my KA-T, you should do it!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #102
LadyJdm

ooh hell yeah i love my single cam<3 and plus its different from everyone else cause they got dual or SR but its cool, im ok with the motor i have, now i just want to show it love<3

so if i do go KAE-T i dont need to build my motor 1st? if so then damn..save me alot of money! lol

but i might stay with NA built and see how it goes, and see the difference, i wanna have alot of experience with this motor before i go KA24DE or RB20 in the futrue<3
Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #103
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie321 View Post
We just put a Nismo R4 Cam into my buddies single cam, and we were all very impressed, don't worry about a cam right now if your gonna go KAE-T
Please don't confuse the actual NISMO entity with the US Nissan Motorsports division.

Two separate entities.

I could be wrong, but I am not aware of NISMO actually had made a cam for the KA-E.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #104
charlie321
Zilvia Addict

charlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfectioncharlie321 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJdm View Post
ooh hell yeah i love my single cam<3 and plus its different from everyone else cause they got dual or SR but its cool, im ok with the motor i have, now i just want to show it love<3

so if i do go KAE-T i dont need to build my motor 1st? if so then damn..save me alot of money! lol

but i might stay with NA built and see how it goes, and see the difference, i wanna have alot of experience with this motor before i go KA24DE or RB20 in the futrue<3
Look around here, and you might find some insight.
www.ka-t.org :: View Forum - SOHC KA-T

There's plenty of people on KA-T.org that have gone turbo with stock internals. It all comes down to the tune in the end. Have the setup and tune done properly, no cut corners, and you should be good.

I have stock internals on my car on a stock rebuild. Runs great.

If I were to go RB, in my opinion, it'd have to be an RB25 or RB26. Believe it or not, my KA has more torque than a stock RB20.

I like single cams, sooo easy to come by, not even funny. Rebuilt ones cost cheaper than stock dual cams.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #105
keiglo
Leaky Injector

keiglo is on the path to ruinkeiglo is on the path to ruin
well that kinda depends. if you're only looking to push 250 to MAYBE 300 with it turbo'd then you most likely wouldn't NEED to (its always smart if you have the money though). the area where most people start to say to replace with forged is over 300. but even with 250, your motor will blow without a good tune, or if your parts arent in good condition to begin with. If you plan to go over 300 though, i would replace with forged internals. I believe this is the level at which it will still be RELIABLE (correct me if im wrong). People have pushed it beyond that with stock parts, but its not very reliable.

another advantage of doing forged internals right off the bat, is that if you do decide to go larger turbo and more power later, you wouldnt have to tear down your motor to replace internals first.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #106
charlie321
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiglo View Post
well that kinda depends. if you're only looking to push 250 to MAYBE 300 with it turbo'd then you most likely wouldn't NEED to (its always smart if you have the money though). the area where most people start to say to replace with forged is over 300. but even with 250, your motor will blow without a good tune, or if your parts arent in good condition to begin with. If you plan to go over 300 though, i would replace with forged internals. I believe this is the level at which it will still be RELIABLE (correct me if im wrong). People have pushed it beyond that with stock parts, but its not very reliable.

another advantage of doing forged internals right off the bat, is that if you do decide to go larger turbo and more power later, you wouldnt have to tear down your motor to replace internals first.
THIS, i completely forgot to mention haha. Power goals, however, anywhere 230-300 should be plenty for most motorsport purposes. At least for entry level. I started stock for drifting for 2 years. This is my first time with power. Mine's putting down about 240whp.

If you want more than 300 which i'm sure you don't need right now, I would rebuild it with forged components.

As far as superchargers go, I feel that the KA already has alot of torque to begin with.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #107
keiglo
Leaky Injector

what setup are you running charlie? just to help put things into perspective as well as satisfy my curiosity
Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #108
charlie321
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiglo View Post
what setup are you running charlie? just to help put things into perspective as well as satisfy my curiosity
T3 w/ 370cc's on a rom tune, and safc. Can check it out if you go to any of the local meets. I'm gonna be at Pipeline tonight. 10ish.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #109
keiglo
Leaky Injector

i havent been to the pipeline meet yet. i've been meaning to go for a while, but its kinda far, and i have to study tonight, mid-terms tomorrow! Maybe ill swing by next week though.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #110
charlie321
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Please don't confuse the actual NISMO entity with the US Nissan Motorsports division.

Two separate entities.

I could be wrong, but I am not aware of NISMO actually had made a cam for the KA-E.
Nismo did infact make an aftermarket cam for sohc KA, I just installed an R4 into my buddies car.

Nismoparts.com - Your #1 Source for OEM Parts and Accessories
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #111
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Ka24e-t ftw....
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #112
SoSideways
Post Whore!

The R4 cam was indeed a NISSAN MOTORSPORTS item, not JDM NISMO.

Just because Nismoparts.com sells it doesn't mean it is a "NISMO item".

Courtesy Nissan used to have a huge catelog of all the NISSAN MOTORSPORTS items that they carried, but I guess they finally dropped it because people weren't buying KA-E parts anymore.

They used to have forged pistons, rods, cams, and webber carbs for the KA-E on there, and it was cool to browse through some of that stuff. They're gone now though.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #113
charlie321
Zilvia Addict

Oh really? Even when we looked at the camshaft itself, it hat "NISMO" engraved on one end of it.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #114
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie321 View Post
Oh really? Even when we looked at the camshaft itself, it hat "NISMO" engraved on one end of it.
hmmm....maybe that was the name of the guy that made the cam? he just put his name on it....must be a few nismo names out there.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #115
charlie321
Zilvia Addict

I just talked to the Nismo shop, and they said it was a genuine "Nismo" camshaft.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #116
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Alright, in that case, cool.

Just didn't want people to be confused with the two entities, as they don't exactly even sell the same stuff, nor have support for each others' products.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #117
Shift n Drift
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Shift n Drift has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincity_sil80 View Post
everyone on here also has a 240.. if you want to be different get an aveo lmao

ok engines and cars are two different things
Shift n Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #118
Shift n Drift
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Shift n Drift has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
and the best sounding single slammer ka that was na that i heard was at the track, i walked up and asked him... dude wtf you got in there, and he said... a single slammer ka with a jwt cam and tune. i almost shit a brick. so hearing that, i think you should get a jwt cam and tune. this guy had no problem with losing torque when he was drifting
Shift n Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #119
charlie321
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift n Drift View Post
and the best sounding single slammer ka that was na that i heard was at the track, i walked up and asked him... dude wtf you got in there, and he said... a single slammer ka with a jwt cam and tune. i almost shit a brick. so hearing that, i think you should get a jwt cam and tune. this guy had no problem with losing torque when he was drifting
I never had a problem losing torque on a bone stock KAE drifting.

I haven't heard anything about the JWT cam, I only have experience with the Nismo R4, I would like to hear more though! Does BC make one for the sohc?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #120
LadyJdm

hmmm nice! i wanna build my motor to about 300-350hp, ill be fine with that as daily and drifting car =) but hmm then i shall rebuild my motor then, it hasnt had a rebuilt in awhile, its probally time, but i am gonna get these bbps headers, they look intresting =)