Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #6001
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGG View Post
Those are spal? Looks great bro.w what shroud is that? I'm kinda confused lol.
Its a fan-set that I removed from a Maserati Quattroporte lol Literally when I used to work for them.

But you can also buy this set from spal, it comes preassembled in the shroud already.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...2130/overview/

You also need a 50A relay for each fan to run. Its a very robust setup, and moves a shit ton of air.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #6002
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NOLAGG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Its a fan-set that I removed from a Maserati Quattroporte lol Literally when I used to work for them.

But you can also buy this set from spal, it comes preassembled in the shroud already.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...2130/overview/

You also need a 50A relay for each fan to run. Its a very robust setup, and moves a shit ton of air.
Hey bro thanks.south I might have to run pusher fans due to space.do I need a shroud for pusher?or how should I go about mounting them?
NOLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #6003
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
No idea on pusher. Never was an option for me, I dont think they offer enough cooling capacity.

I had to cut into my core support by 2" to push the radiator back to get it all to fit. It was worth it, and looks great.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #6004
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What's the best bracket/mount combination for maximum hood clearance? Seems like XM brackets with XM mounts don't allow you to close the hood without spacers
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #6005
zbarsuglia
Zilvia Junkie

zbarsuglia is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bova17 View Post
Got a few things, first off I just got my 2JZGTE VVTI!!! Also I have test fitted the Collins adapter kit and it looks like it will work fine; I am kind of disappointed with the fitment of the plate itself... looks like the holes for the bellhousing are all off by 2 or 3 degrees. I had to also drill some out to get it to fit. Also for anyone running internal slave, the ZSpeed heavy duty CSC will work without a spacer of any sort.

Question:
Anybody with the cd009 have to hammer the firewall to get that huge thing to fit? I am having a tough time getting it into place

I had to hammer the firewall to get into place in my s14. I also got the collins adapter and I am definitely not happy with it. It was off centered and one of the threads were hanging right off the plate couldn't even run a bolt there. Contacted him he said he would send a new one then never responded.
zbarsuglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:35 AM   #6006
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarsuglia View Post
I had to hammer the firewall to get into place in my s14. I also got the collins adapter and I am definitely not happy with it. It was off centered and one of the threads were hanging right off the plate couldn't even run a bolt there. Contacted him he said he would send a new one then never responded.
Are you serious? Call that dude man call him out on facebook then.I hate people who don't make things rightto a fair paying customer.especially for a custom piece that cost nearly a grand.my Collins adaptor is working well so far, although the paint is already conning off and is definitely boy worth his asking price imho.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #6007
zbarsuglia
Zilvia Junkie

zbarsuglia is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Are you serious? Call that dude man call him out on facebook then.I hate people who don't make things rightto a fair paying customer.especially for a custom piece that cost nearly a grand.my Collins adaptor is working well so far, although the paint is already conning off and is definitely boy worth his asking price imho.
Yeah man. Especially since I bought his whole kit with driveline and everything and spent around 2k. And I'm not the only one with this problem. A buddy of mine got his and the plate was messed up as well.
zbarsuglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:48 PM   #6008
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Well, got it running and on the road. However, I'm having some stuttering at WOT/full boost, which is 14psi right now. Sounds/feels like its missing on 1 cylinder. So I gotta sort that out, its kinda inconsistent. But feels good when it runs right.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #6009
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Well, got it running and on the road. However, I'm having some stuttering at WOT/full boost, which is 14psi right now. Sounds/feels like its missing on 1 cylinder. So I gotta sort that out, its kinda inconsistent. But feels good when it runs right.
I would check your coil packs for cracks along with the rubber boots. Had the same problem, thought it was fuel/boost cut (that just feels like you hit a brick wall lol)
Old 03-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #6010
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLspeed View Post
I would check your coil packs for cracks along with the rubber boots. Had the same problem, thought it was fuel/boost cut (that just feels like you hit a brick wall lol)
Yea, unfortunately I have to say that I have brand new oil packs from autozone lol But I agree, it feels like spark issues, I'll have to do some parts switching to figure it out
Old 03-26-2016, 06:05 AM   #6011
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Yea, unfortunately I have to say that I have brand new oil packs from autozone lol But I agree, it feels like spark issues, I'll have to do some parts switching to figure it out
There's your problem
Old 03-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #6012
articzap
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
articzap is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
There's your problem
Agree'd. Somethings you just can't get from a parts store, which is just about everything lol
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #6013
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

RaNMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
If they're just not up to the task of high power but they're in otherwise good shape then I would suggest getting the hks ignition amplifier. My buddy made 1425 whp in his Supra with just stock coils and the hks ignition amp. I ended up going with LS truck coils which are great but you need to be able to control them with an ecu.
RaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #6014
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Yea, I'll be stock ECU for a while. I might look into that ignition amp.

I have 3 buddies who are all making 500+whp on these same coils from AutoZone. I guess I might just have a bad one or too. Gotta do some testing this weekend.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:33 PM   #6015
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

EDIT:

Well found that 4 of my 6 brand new AutoZone coil packs are already cracked...less than 100 miles lol Guess I should have known better by trying to save a buck haha Thankfully I can full return/refund them

What does everyone run for coils on these cars if you are maintaining stock ECU? I know AEM guys go with LS coils, and SR guys run splitfire, but I really haven't found a nice aftermarket coil set for these? How do you beef up the ignition on these engines with stock ECU?
Old 03-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #6016
NOLAGG
Zilvia Member

Quote:
EDIT:

Well found that 4 of my 6 brand new AutoZone coil packs are already cracked...less than 100 miles lol Guess I should have known better by trying to save a buck haha Thankfully I can full return/refund them

What does everyone run for coils on these cars if you are maintaining stock ECU? I know AEM guys go with LS coils, and SR guys run splitfire, but I really haven't found a nice aftermarket coil set for these? How do you beef up the ignition on these engines with stock ECU?
Was mentioned earlier that new/good condition oem coils are Moore than fine.fine enough to support over 1300hp.People just don't like the price tag.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #6017
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Yea, where do you guys buy them? Anywhere better than $105 brand new? Whats the OEM Toyota Part Number?
Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #6018
jubee
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
jubee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
What's the best bracket/mount combination for maximum hood clearance? Seems like XM brackets with XM mounts don't allow you to close the hood without spacers

was told Freed Engineering mounts are they way to go. I was thinking of ordering me a set for when i am ready to drop my motor in. maybe someone who is actually running his can chime in and confirm.
jubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:11 AM   #6019
S13project
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
S13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of lightS13project is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Have heard good things about the SuperSparks from a few people.

http://www.suprastore.com/suco1jupsp.html

Had bought a set for a 1.5JZ then sold the motor to a friend who decided his stock 1J needed to pop. Never got a chance to test em out.......nor has he since car isn't running yet....Jeeps taking over all his free time now.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #6020
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

See, I read nothing but trouble with the SuperSpark ones. I think I'm just going to stick with Factory Denso
Old 03-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #6021
RaNMaN
Zilvia Member

RaNMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
See, I read nothing but trouble with the SuperSpark ones. I think I'm just going to stick with Factory Denso
Cheapest way is probably just buying some good used oem coils, there will probably be some bad ones but if you can test them they will support 5-600hp no problem.

The coil wiring is usually pretty crispy and crappy by now too. After I rewired my oem jdm coils I made 550whp on them. They are just sitting here in a box now, send me an offer on them if you want them.
RaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #6022
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Thanks man. I think I am just going to buy brand new Denso factory coils. You can get them on rockauto, and they are the OEM manufacturer.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #6023
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Thanks man. I think I am just going to buy brand new Denso factory coils. You can get them on rockauto, and they are the OEM manufacturer.
Maybe try running gm coils?

http://www.maperformance.com/product...nd-2jz-engines
Old 03-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #6024
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissansota240 View Post

So sick! Is there like an ignitor bypass for this setup since the coils have built in ignitors?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #6025
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

From what I understand, you have to run a stand alone to control those....Im OEM ecu.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #6026
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
From what I understand, you have to run a stand alone to control those....Im OEM ecu.
I am not sure, I know the guy that designed them was running a Haltech on his car so that may be true. I guess a good option if someone is stand alone though.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #6027
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
I have an AEM V2, but my harness is wired for the factory setup. I can only assume that once you unplug the factory ignitor that you would have to put a jumper of some sort between those two connectors.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #6028
Sky80
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
Sky80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Mojo performance has a harness to make it work with OEM ECU
Old 03-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #6029
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Yeah, I think I saw that too while doing a brief search. I'll have to look into it because if it involves hacking up my new harness, I just can't get down with that.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #6030
HypnoFish
Zilvia Member

HypnoFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkscrew View Post
I have the xcessive brackets and mounts for engine and trans on my s13. the jz fits under the hood just fine. and i have enough room to run my strut tower brace.
HypnoFish is offline   Reply With Quote