Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-15-2023, 07:55 PM   #91
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Of course unless you're doing a concours resto there's no right/wrong way to modify your 240. That's kind of mine and KA24DESOneThree's point tho... our way is "the car we wished we had in 2004" which is neither stock nor optimized for 2023 levels of performance (though I might remind people LSs were out there in 1997).
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2023, 05:36 AM   #92
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post

So I say if you want a V8, GO FOR IT! Project cars are not about doing what is supposedly ?right?, ?good?, or ?proper?. Because all that stuff is boring anyway. Oh, and let?s not forget that, even if you go for something ?appropriate? like an SR swap, you?re altering your car. Although the engine DID come in the S chassis, it didn?t come in YOUR car. You are still changing the ?original formula? and possibly reducing the value compared to something 100% original.
The point you're making here is kinda presumptuous. Little to no people here (on this whole forum, bustling with activity) are stating that a bone stock S13 is the definition of proper. Those of us who tout the whole "right, good, proper" are just not interested in our cars sounding like the local trailer park king's Z28 with an exhaust leak. As a wise man once said, "Because all of that stuff is boring anyway".

At my local drift events (50-60 drivers, typically) I am one of maybe two regularly-attending SR cars. The rest is all literally VQ's and LS's. Ya know, the more modern, more power-efficient engines. I love the people I drive with but man that shit is boring as alllll hell.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 06:06 AM   #93
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
The point you're making here is kinda presumptuous. Little to no people here (on this whole forum, bustling with activity) are stating that a bone stock S13 is the definition of proper. Those of us who tout the whole "right, good, proper" are just not interested in our cars sounding like the local trailer park king's Z28 with an exhaust leak. As a wise man once said, "Because all of that stuff is boring anyway".

At my local drift events (50-60 drivers, typically) I am one of maybe two regularly-attending SR cars. The rest is all literally VQ's and LS's. Ya know, the more modern, more power-efficient engines. I love the people I drive with but man that shit is boring as alllll hell.
I've built - and I mean built - SR's to take the abuse and they just never do. I've done every which combination and was never competitive AND reliable. Sometimes it would be one more than the other but never both. I then said heck, these are getting way too expensive, I'll try to be Aussie and build a RB. Wrong. I always find myself getting pulled to the V8 [even if boring, it's what is built for that abuse off the bat]. If I ever had a Silvia or Cefiro or something, sure. I'll probably keep the SR in it... until it blows up.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:07 AM   #94
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
I've built - and I mean built - SR's to take the abuse and they just never do. I've done every which combination and was never competitive AND reliable. Sometimes it would be one more than the other but never both. I then said heck, these are getting way too expensive, I'll try to be Aussie and build a RB. Wrong. I always find myself getting pulled to the V8 [even if boring, it's what is built for that abuse off the bat]. If I ever had a Silvia or Cefiro or something, sure. I'll probably keep the SR in it... until it blows up.
Seems like we could perpetually go on with anecdotal experiences to conflict one another. I think the proof is in the pudding when you see SR's happily being used as the go-to engine in Japan for the last 30 years without much stray.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #95
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Seems like we could perpetually go on with anecdotal experiences to conflict one another. I think the proof is in the pudding when you see SR's happily being used as the go-to engine in Japan for the last 30 years without much stray.
Yes, this used to be the way but with scarcity and other motors proving to more reliable, the SR isn't nearly as popular as it was in the glory days. Now you have V8s, JZs, VQs, and other engines that are far more popular.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:35 AM   #96
CrazyTrance
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
CrazyTrance is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Yes, this used to be the way but with scarcity and other motors proving to more reliable, the SR isn't nearly as popular as it was in the glory days. Now you have V8s, JZs, VQs, and other engines that are far more popular.
The glory days. Man. I just logged on for the 1st time in like 10 years it feels like. This place is nostalga.

Man i'm old.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:24 AM   #97
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTrance View Post
The glory days. Man. I just logged on for the 1st time in like 10 years it feels like. This place is nostalga.

Man i'm old.
Not old, just lost in the 'new age' like the rest of us.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:13 PM   #98
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
Of course unless you're doing a concours resto there's no right/wrong way to modify your 240. That's kind of mine and KA24DESOneThree's point tho... our way is "the car we wished we had in 2004" which is neither stock nor optimized for 2023 levels of performance (though I might remind people LSs were out there in 1997).
Cosign this.

I recognize a BRZ's stock power levels are like what notchtop SR's are whp stock. I know VQ/LS are better and are temping but I would rather do the notchtop, build it and run that or a build a KA (I have two lol) if that blows up.

I know LS's are tempting, hell I've been tempted myself but nothing like the bassy 4 banger coming out of the exhaust of an Schassis K24 non excluding.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:55 PM   #99
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Cosign this.

I recognize a BRZ's stock power levels are like what notchtop SR's are whp stock. I know VQ/LS are better and are temping but I would rather do the notchtop, build it and run that or a build a KA (I have two lol) if that blows up.

I know LS's are tempting, hell I've been tempted myself but nothing like the bassy 4 banger coming out of the exhaust of an Schassis K24 non excluding.
Just pull over to the right lane so the passing traffic can scoot by. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:24 PM   #100
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Just pull over to the right lane so the passing traffic can scoot by. Thanks in advance.
Jokes on you all my cars are slow so I am already in the right lane.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:47 PM   #101
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

I read that and it honestly hurt my heart.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:42 PM   #102
Future240
Future Moderator

Being a "car guy" with no fun car sucks. My DD is a beater 04 hyundai sonata. I WFH so its 92% of the time to the gym or grocery store.0 The other car is an 06 Lexus es330 driven by the lady.

My Silverado is minus an engine ATM as the LM7 is being rebuilt (by me) slowly. Funny enough I'm ordering a cam, lifters and pushrods for it tomorrow. Problem is the 4l60 does not exactly like power. With just exhaust the truck has broken two of them already. So I have to do a 4l80 swap eventually.

The S14 has taken a back seat while I get the truck back on the road.
Old 06-21-2023, 12:53 PM   #103
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Whitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Problem is the 4l60 does not exactly like power. With just exhaust the truck has broken two of them already.
Sir, I can't imagine an exhaust system is the straw that breaks the camels back in this situation.
Whitey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:59 PM   #104
Future240
Future Moderator

Oh it’s not. I’m showing there are no mods. 4l60’s just suck.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:57 AM   #105
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Being a "car guy" with no fun car sucks. My DD is a beater 04 hyundai sonata. I WFH so its 92% of the time to the gym or grocery store.0 The other car is an 06 Lexus es330 driven by the lady.

My Silverado is minus an engine ATM as the LM7 is being rebuilt (by me) slowly. Funny enough I'm ordering a cam, lifters and pushrods for it tomorrow. Problem is the 4l60 does not exactly like power. With just exhaust the truck has broken two of them already. So I have to do a 4l80 swap eventually.

The S14 has taken a back seat while I get the truck back on the road.
I hate that we've become adults.
Old 06-22-2023, 02:49 PM   #106
Corbic
Post Whore!

Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
I hate that we've become adults.
Eh, I hate that shits gotten so expensive and I don't have free time. R32 is still sitting, I just can't manage to get 4-6 hours straight to work on it.

I did buy an STI last fall so I could have a fun car to drive.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #107
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Eh, I hate that shits gotten so expensive and I don't have free time. R32 is still sitting, I just can't manage to get 4-6 hours straight to work on it.

I did buy an STI last fall so I could have a fun car to drive.
We are the same people. I have a R32 sitting in my shop under my Silvia and I daily a 2019 STi Premium because I'm a moron.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:13 PM   #108
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I must be one of the last people on earth who still drives an s14 on a daily basis..
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:11 PM   #109
blksylv
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
blksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymoreblksylv is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
I must be one of the last people on earth who still drives an s14 on a daily basis..
nope i daily drove mines up until a couple weeks ago but the ac compressor took a shit so its just sitting in the garage now lol
there is nothing wrong with enjoying the build. however, we sometimes have to remind ourselves that the build is only one part of the puzzle, and that ultimately - enjoying and driving the car is the number one priority.
blksylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 08:46 PM   #110
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
I kind of fucked up and made my S13 too reliable because I never intended it to be a daily. I just recognized that I don't have the mindset for a project car that's always broken. But I could've made it a lot faster if I didn't care.

That said I'd have spent more, and then I'd be mad that I spent all this money on something I don't get to drive because it's broken.

But maybe I'll turbo the KA once I fix the strut towers. Because I sure as hell can't afford an SR...
Old 06-26-2023, 08:14 AM   #111
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Whitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I kind of fucked up and made my S13 too reliable because I never intended it to be a daily. I just recognized that I don't have the mindset for a project car that's always broken. But I could've made it a lot faster if I didn't care.

That said I'd have spent more, and then I'd be mad that I spent all this money on something I don't get to drive because it's broken.

But maybe I'll turbo the KA once I fix the strut towers. Because I sure as hell can't afford an SR...
Did you refresh your KA?

I sent mine over to the machine shop last week. Besides being the heaviest 4 cylinder block known to man I feel that I can build a very robust KA for the price of a very old, very questionable SR.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:48 AM   #112
AKADriver
Post Whore!

I just bought someone's freshly rebuilt long block. I paid about $1100 all together, which is more than I ever would've paid for a KA "back in the day", but it came from a junkyard with a startup warranty and is just a nice stock rebuild. I was about to pull the trigger on getting my original short block rebuilt when I found the motor for sale and jumped on it.

Yes it is a heavy bastard. I used to pick up and carry iron Honda D-series by myself and I'm not a big weightlifter guy. I did manage to use some 2x4s to rock my KA off a pallet and onto a dolly so I could roll it into the back of my garage but my back yelled at me for that stunt for a week.
Old 06-26-2023, 11:43 AM   #113
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I just bought someone's freshly rebuilt long block. I paid about $1100 all together, which is more than I ever would've paid for a KA "back in the day", but it came from a junkyard with a startup warranty and is just a nice stock rebuild. I was about to pull the trigger on getting my original short block rebuilt when I found the motor for sale and jumped on it.

Yes it is a heavy bastard. I used to pick up and carry iron Honda D-series by myself and I'm not a big weightlifter guy. I did manage to use some 2x4s to rock my KA off a pallet and onto a dolly so I could roll it into the back of my garage but my back yelled at me for that stunt for a week.
I was able to lug my bare block to the machine shop in the back of my CUV but I have no idea what I'm going to do when it's built with its crank and piston/rods.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:35 PM   #114
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey13 View Post
I sent mine over to the machine shop last week. Besides being the heaviest 4 cylinder block known to man I feel that I can build a very robust KA for the price of a very old, very questionable SR.
Reminds me of the Jams Performance power packs for the SR/KA.

SR
https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...r-package.html
Quote:
Jams Performance - Budget Bottom End Power Package Deal for the Nissan SR20DET.

If you unfortunately made the mistake of prematurely pulling your perfectly good KA24DE out and you are now stuck with a SR20DET that probably needs a rebuild, this is the best bang for the buck bottom end package. This kit uses all the same quality components in the Jams Performance KA bottom end package that you should have just put in your KA in the first place.
Ka
Quote:
Jams Performance - Budget Bottom End Power Package Deal for the Nissan KA24DE. Looking to Turbo your KA and be way cooler than an SR, upgrade the bottom end for more power at a discount package price.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:27 PM   #115
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Reminds me of the Jams Performance power packs for the SR/KA.

SR
https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...r-package.html

Ka
I just copied the formula from the MotoIQ KA rebuild video they posted on youtube a few months back. A few bucks more using JE/Manley/Clevite stuff, but not much in the grand scheme of things.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:00 AM   #116
StorminMatt

StorminMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I used to pick up and carry iron Honda D-series by myself and I'm not a big weightlifter guy.
Honda never made an iron D-series engine. All D-series engines have aluminum blocks. In fact, the only iron block Honda engines I can think of are the old A-series engines used in Accords back in the 80s.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:05 AM   #117
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
Honda never made an iron D-series engine. All D-series engines have aluminum blocks. In fact, the only iron block Honda engines I can think of are the old A-series engines used in Accords back in the 80s.
Way to burst his bubble
Old 07-06-2023, 07:41 AM   #118
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
i just paid a premium for this from an importer. hand picked it at their warehouse, tough decision. I think it was the roughest on the outside that they had (surface rust on block), but the inside looked clean through the oil cap, and it was an auto from a stagea, so i went for that one.
once home, i inspect it a bit further, and man, this thing is so clean, im a little suspicious :-0

no regerts :-)
Old 07-07-2023, 07:21 AM   #119
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
i just paid a premium for this from an importer.
What is it?
Old 07-07-2023, 10:22 AM   #120
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey13 View Post
What is it?
Looks like a RB25DET
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote