Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Nategreat923
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Nategreat923 is making a name for him/her selfNategreat923 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
87' AE w/ CA18

Hi guys,

My names Nate. Ive been around for a while but have haven't really built a worthy car until now. I used to own this car 3 years ago, sold it, and traded back for it last September.

Before:

Now:

Heres the new parts list:

EXTERIOR:
Dura flex front bumper, fiberglass aero, origin rear widebody, cut and widened front fenders, made drop vent for hood and power by maxx hood spacers, neon green lexan rear windows, enkei mesh up front American racing mesh rears. Dunlop dz101 star spec fronts, dz101 rears all four 195/50-15.

INTERIOR:
FD Spec cage, sparco sprint drivers seat, buddy club passenger, corbeau purple sfi harnesses, aluminum dash and center display, apc gauges, factory fuel gauge, summitt stepper tach, nardi 370 wheel, used a Ron Francis bare bonez chassis harness and switch panel. The cell phone holder on dash is what I use for my speedometer.

ENGINE:
Silver top block, blue top head, bored to 83mm, custom head gasket, compression is around 11.5:1, je forged pistons, crank and rods where tempered, arp rod bolts, high volume oil pump, fully rotation assembly balanced, head was lightly ported, 3 angle valve job on supertech valves, toda valve springs, crower full race cams and hks cam gears, oil filter relocation and rx7 oil cooler, godspeed radiator with dual fans, custom overflow tank, mikuni phh 44mm race carbs, t3 pulley set and trigger wheel, Ford EDIS with autosport labs ignition controller, obx header, t3 test pipe to buddy club under axle with supertrapp tip, light weight flywheel and xtd stage 3 clutch.

SUSPENSION, DRIVETRAIN, BRAKES:
T3 tension arms, front suspension is custom 240sx DIY coils, 240 lca that are boxed, 240 crossdrilled rotors and calipers, I get 62 degrees of steering angle, one piece drive shaft, weir solid pinion spacer with 4.77 spooled rear end with oversized weir axels, rear trd adjustable greens, lowering 6k springs, crossdrilled rear rotors with potterfield r4s pads, steel braided lines on all four, booster delete with willwood master cylinder, cnc hydro hand brake with willwood dynalite rear braking system.

Now some people would say "wtf why swap out such a cool motor". Well, I didnt build it, so I hate popping the hood and people saying "Oh hey Derek built that". Also, 4AGEs are pretty limited and its almost maxed out, besides ITBs. I also feel more comfortable with Nissan engines.

Now for the new engine. I picked it up the other day. It came out of an AE, so I have the full swap. It has a shit ton of oil leaks, so I ordered an entire gasket kit and ARP head studs from Russell @ Nissanparts.cc.

Heres the new engine:

Test fitted the FMIC:

Started dismantling it today. Plans are to pretty much rebuild this motor, swap it in, and have fun next season with a reliable engine! Cant wait!
Nategreat923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Nategreat923
Zilvia Member

Nategreat923 is making a name for him/her selfNategreat923 is making a name for him/her self
I didn't know this actually got posted, so ill just give a short run down of what I did. Got the motor rebuilt, ported and polished the head, added a S15 turdbo, got it in and wired, painted the car for shits and giggles, added a wing. Alls that's left is the down pipe, should be testing it at Nissanparts.cc's charity event on the 18th.

I got the engine tore down, and the bottom and actually looked brand new!

Ended up finding a broken mount, I dont have a picture, but we added a new thicker plate

Started reassembly!

Tried my first time of porting and polishing!

Here's a picture with the journal bearing T28

Wrapped the manifold and turbo

Modded my rack

Dropped the motor in

Started on the FMIC process

Got the harness in, and some other odds and ends

Then ready to rock!

Here's those teaser pics

Last edited by Nategreat923; 01-05-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Old 08-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
keifer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
keifer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That wings gotta go...
keifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Nategreat923
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
That wings gotta go...
Hi!
I'm glad that's what you think, and if I was building it for your tastes I would certainly take it off.

Cheers!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
7x13
Leaky Injector

7x13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I like how it looks wingless.

lets see more.
7x13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Nategreat923
Zilvia Member

Well got it running great this weekend, so we loaded it up for a 2 1/2 hour drive to go slide it and ended up having a coil pack go bad. Regardless, when it was running it was insane.

Video below
CA18DET AE86 Test Drive - YouTube

The coil pack crapped on me right here on my first run:

Spent the next half hour and 3 runs trying to diagnose it. Oh, well, had fun regardless
Old 01-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Nategreat923
Zilvia Member

Hey guys, did a big edit of the seconds post to show more of the engine build.

As of right now I got my rear end taken out, and picked up a Celica-Supra unit to replace it with

Old 01-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
uhWuh

uhWuh is an unknown quantity at this point
Well done my friend
uhWuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
Nategreat923
Zilvia Member

Thanks!

Spent some time on the rear end today