Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
YesImLDS

Trader Rating: (1)
YesImLDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
KA '92 Ka24de having problems after tune-up

I recently dug in a little bit deeper to change a valve cover gasket and while I was in there I threw in a 248 cam on the intake side. While doing all of this I changed the plugs and wires. I found out I have a bad injector which still is to be replaced, but it ran before. I checked my timing twice, went of TDC and set everything where it needed to be. All it would do is crank and crank with about one little sputter every time you'd let it sit for a few minutes. Any ideas on what it could be? I am getting fuel to 3 of 4 cylinders and spark as well. Think it just needs a little start fluid or something? I am also going to charge up the battery since it's very cold out and try again.
YesImLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
YesImLDS

I figured out cylinder 3/4 were switched on the distributor and cylinder 1 isn't getting gas due to bad injector. It wants to turn over after sitting for a little bit (3 or so sputters) then just cranks. Any ideas? I am thinking about using some starter fluid because I have nobody to help me push start it!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
YesImLDS

Double-checked timing and the spark plug wire locations. If it sits for a little while and you try to start it, you'll get a few putters and then nothing. I am baffled. I switched the bad injector from 3 cylinder to 1, but that should make any difference (it was first to see if it was bad or not)
Old 12-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dude, with a bad injector it's really hard to start a 4-banger, especially without a good battery, like one that you've been repeatedly cranking it from without charging. When you do, it will idle like a sledgehammer, as that cylinder misses every time.

Just replace the injector, if that cylinder's not getting fuel.

Any injectors you've removed need the lower o-rings replaced, and when you install the new ones lube them really well with lots of vaseline/petrolium jelly/dielectric, (not silicone, it needs to be petrolium based so the gas will wash out the extra - but move fast, so it doesn't dissolve the lube before it gets seated) so they slide in without tearing or catching, and seat properly.

Also, you know the firing order is 1342, right?
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
YesImLDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Dude, with a bad injector it's really hard to start a 4-banger, especially without a good battery, like one that you've been repeatedly cranking it from without charging. When you do, it will idle like a sledgehammer, as that cylinder misses every time.

Just replace the injector, if that cylinder's not getting fuel.

Any injectors you've removed need the lower o-rings replaced, and when you install the new ones lube them really well with lots of vaseline/petrolium jelly/dielectric, (not silicone, it needs to be petrolium based so the gas will wash out the extra - but move fast, so it doesn't dissolve the lube before it gets seated) so they slide in without tearing or catching, and seat properly.

Also, you know the firing order is 1342, right?
Yeah I got the firing order right. I had it accidentally 1432, the only problem I am having is it was able to start up just fine previous. I set the timing to TDC and the distributor to the same. I should have an injector here pretty quick and the battery is good and has been charged over night. I re-used the lower o-rings for the time being, I used some dyno oil on them to lube them up a for a nice seal. The reason I'd like it running right now on at least 3 cylinders is to move it as it was inside a garage, but had to be pushed out for other vehicle movement and it's sitting in the snow right now. Think a decent push start could get her running enough to move her where I need it to be? I am by no means a mechanic, but I have been going by the FSM and if I can't get it started up I'll have to have my local mechanic come give me some help. He is pretty chill.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
YesImLDS

Injectors also had a soak in seafoam, but when I pulled plugs they smelled like gas so I am assuming they are fine, new plugs so it was wasn't there before hand
Old 12-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
YesImLDS

Took off valve cover and re-timed everything to the T. Getting spark and plugs smell like gas. Must just be too damn cold for three cylinders to start it.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
1lowka24e

1lowka24e is an unknown quantity at this point
sometimes brand new wires are bad.. have you ohm tested all the wires to make sure they are good wires.. seen a couple cars not run or not run good cause of wires.
1lowka24e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
YesImLDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowka24e View Post
sometimes brand new wires are bad.. have you ohm tested all the wires to make sure they are good wires.. seen a couple cars not run or not run good cause of wires.
I haven't tested them, I'll have to get borrow one to test them. They spark, but could not be working fully efficiently I suppose.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
1lowka24e

1lowka24e is an unknown quantity at this point
More resistance= less spark. Causing it not to be efficient.
1lowka24e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
YesImLDS

I narrowed it down to be something on the fueling side, but when I sprayed some starting fluid it didn't even so much as try to start. Could it be a sensor, or possibly a ground?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
thatguyj33

Trader Rating: (0)
thatguyj33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had the exact same problem, it was first my distributor, then vaccum lines, and the final piece of the puzzle, the o-ring on the idle screw was leaking, causing air to escape the IACV. hope this helps!
thatguyj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
YesImLDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyj33 View Post
I had the exact same problem, it was first my distributor, then vaccum lines, and the final piece of the puzzle, the o-ring on the idle screw was leaking, causing air to escape the IACV. hope this helps!
I figured out what it was. It was a combination between timing as well as the engine was semi-flooded. Runs awesome now and on all four cylinders now!