Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 PM   #1
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Removing Tint

when i bought my car, the original owner had the dirty dark purple tint. i can bearly see out the back of my car at night and the tint looks nasty. im ready to remove the tint tomorrow but im a little worried about my rear defrosters. im going to be using a heat gun and i dont want to remove/damage the defrosters in the process. is there anyway not to mess-up the defrosters? thanks.
WERDdabuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
DocTaDrifT
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DocTaDrifT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to DocTaDrifT Send a message via AIM to DocTaDrifT
just take it to a shop and let them do it if your scared youll mess it up
Old 04-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
rps13_fastback
Zilvia Addict

rps13_fastback can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to rps13_fastback
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTaDrifT
just take it to a shop and let them do it if your scared youll mess it up
you can buy tint remover spray at your local parts store.. my friend just bought some last weekend... haven't tried it out yet though so don't know how well it works but it's $6 for the bottle
rps13_fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
Inland180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Inland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant futureInland180 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Inland180
well if you gonna install new tint then just let the tint shop remove it

Feedback LINK
Inland180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
JDMark
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JDMark is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMark
windex with amonnia-d takes that shit off. all i remeber about taking my tint off (like 1.5 years ago) is that the tint glue smells like POOP! also i scraped the crap out of my rear defrosters, they still work.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
danger69
Zilvia Member

danger69 is on a distinguished road
tint removal

To remove tint the easy way is to get those steam buggys. Thats what I used and depending on the tint it will come off easy, but there is two layers the tint part and the sticky crap. If you get the tint layer off thats good but if that sticky crap is on there you will need to use acetone to remove it. I had 3 240sx before and all of them had tint that i had to take off. It sucks but at least I'm good at it now.
danger69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:37 PM   #7
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Okay, here's some tips. I did a complete removal of the tint cause the shops want to charge like 100 bucks for the whole car at a reputable shop. WARNING!!! don't go to "TJ's window tinting" right next to the liquor store!! Those bacyard tint shops have cheap quality tint material, do cheap work, hell that's why you only pay 100 bucks for the whole car. Trust me go to a good shop....you know the one's I mean. And if you don't, ask an expensive body shop where they recommend. They can point you in the right direction.

Okay removal tips:
1. Use a second person and heat the window from the OUTSIDE. Start in the driver's upper corner and work your way down and around. BE CAREFUL THE WINDOW WILL BE HOT!! Wait a few seconds for it to cool the area where he's heating. Keep a cold towel handy for those really hot moments.
2. It will come off in pieces, this is normal. Just be patient!!
3.ONLY, and I repeat ONLY, use a razor blade on the glass parts of the windshield. You scrape one of those defroster lines and that line is toast.
4. Use the razor blade to get a piece started and slowly tug on it until it starts to go. (hint: find a spot where the tint is starting to separate...you will have alot of choices if the tint is really bad)
5. Once you have all the tint film off, the glue is what's left.
6. Use GOOF OFF, or equivalent to remove the glue. Takes some time and alot of elbow grease but it get the job done. Don't worry about the defroster lines at this point. The Goof Off will not hurt them.
7. Clean the inside window with soap and water and your done!!

Hope this helps....and look I just helped you save 100 bucks!! Don't worry, no thanks is needed.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:53 PM   #8
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
thanks guys. im not planning on putting in new tint and i dont want to take it to a shop for something small like this.

thanks for tips.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #9
Raysurc
Leaky Injector

Raysurc can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Raysurc
ok so the former owner of my s13 tried to remove his tint to, but the rear defrosters got jacked up/messedup in the process. so..... in hopes of repairing/replacing my defrosters, what are options and which one is more reasonable to follow through with?
Raysurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:01 AM   #10
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysurc
ok so the former owner of my s13 tried to remove his tint to, but the rear defrosters got jacked up/messedup in the process. so..... in hopes of repairing/replacing my defrosters, what are options and which one is more reasonable to follow through with?
Dood you're FUBARED....get a new hatch with working defrosters, or you could just keep a squeegee in your trunk and clean it every morning.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:32 AM   #11
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

if you dont want your windows to fog up. you can also try wiping shaving cream on them. works for me.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #12
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Isopropyl alcohol also works to prevent fog up.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #13
the head
Nissanaholic!

Location: in a dark room mastering the art of typing with one hand
Trader Rating: (3)
the head is making a name for him/her selfthe head is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
JC whitney sells defroster retracer little bottle of the stuff you are supposed to connect both sides of the break and it supposedly fixes the problem I personally havent tried it but one of my friends was able to fix the back window of his camaro that way
Old 04-12-2005, 06:05 PM   #14
Al_S14
BANNED

Al_S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Al_S14 Send a message via MSN to Al_S14
i had same thing.... tint in my 98 looked like ass with wear marks everywhere so i just pealed it off . then used a razor blade to remove remains of glue. ended up using liek 10 of them but sure beats the hell out of paying someone 15bucks per window to do that. by the way razors dont scratch the glass nothing to worry about
Al_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:22 PM   #15
Raysurc
Leaky Injector

Raysurc can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Raysurc
Quote:
Dood you're FUBARED....get a new hatch with working defrosters, or you could just keep a squeegee in your trunk and clean it every morning.
(fubared?) and yeah... i keep a squeegee behind my driver seat, turn on the car, and while im waiting for the car to warmup everymorning, i wipe all my windows including the rear ones.

[/QUOTE]JC whitney sells defroster retracer little bottle of the stuff you are supposed to connect both sides of the break and it supposedly fixes the problem I personally havent tried it but one of my friends was able to fix the back window of his camaro that way[QUOTE]

my defroster is majorly damaged... like.... half a foot missing in different parts of the lines.

i tried using the rain-x "fog-x", doesnt seem to work very effectively...
Raysurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:59 AM   #16
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

try the shaving cream. test it in your bathroom mirrors.