Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
jame5x
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
jame5x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
s14 Cigarette lighter socket removal

Hey,

Let me start off by saying I have already googled this and could not find an answer.

Before I break anything, does anyone know how to remove the lighter socket? I bought a new radio bezel and need to put my old one in. I've tried to pry it out with a flat head but it's not coming out.

jame5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You have to pull the backside off before you can slide it through. Be careful with it, as it does require some prying.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
jame5x
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
You have to pull the backside off before you can slide it through. Be careful with it, as it does require some prying.
Thanks for the quick response jr ss. Which backside piece do I need to pull off? The black plug? I tried a little but it wouldn't budge.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
If you could snap a better photo perhaps I could point it out. I did this to mine and relocated it a long time ago.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
jame5x
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
If you could snap a better photo perhaps I could point it out. I did this to mine and relocated it a long time ago.
LOL my bad. I found these pics from google images.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I don't want to point you in the wrong direction. I'm not at home otherwise I'd go out and look at mine. If you can wait a couple days, when I get home I'll take a peek and see what I did. That is a much better picture, but I think having it in my hands would be a better alternative.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
jame5x
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I don't want to point you in the wrong direction. I'm not at home otherwise I'd go out and look at mine. If you can wait a couple days, when I get home I'll take a peek and see what I did. That is a much better picture, but I think having it in my hands would be a better alternative.
Thanks for your help. No rush here. My car is not operable right now anyways. The feeling when you order something new for your car and then you are involved in an accident
Old 07-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jame5x View Post
The feeling when you order something new for your car and then you are involved in an accident

Yep, that feeling sucks and and is still fresh in my head.
kruked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jame5x View Post
LOL my bad. I found these pics from google images.

I could be an idiot but is that not one of those little metal retaining rings right there in the picture? Pry it off and the thing should pull right on out.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
jame5x
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
I could be an idiot but is that not one of those little metal retaining rings right there in the picture? Pry it off and the thing should pull right on out.
There is no metal ring. It's all plastic. There are two notches on the inside of the cigarette lighter, I'm thinking I need to push those two notches in and then slide the metal piece out. It's not that easy though because I don't have the right "tool" I've used a small flathead screwdriver. I could get one notch to click but not the other.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Alright, in the first picture, I'm pointing to a detent. There are two, 180 degrees out from each other. You need to press these down or work them over the metal socket while pushing from the back side. It should slide out, towards the driver, with the piece installed in the car(picture 2). Once you slide it over the detents, completely remove the metal sleeve from the white/clear collar. When that has been done, you can remove the collar from the radio surround and reverse the order to install on the new unit. Hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
jame5x
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Alright, in the first picture, I'm pointing to a detent. There are two, 180 degrees out from each other. You need to press these down or work them over the metal socket while pushing from the back side. It should slide out, towards the driver, with the piece installed in the car(picture 2). Once you slide it over the detents, completely remove the metal sleeve from the white/clear collar. When that has been done, you can remove the collar from the radio surround and reverse the order to install on the new unit. Hope this helps.
Thanks jr ss, I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to snap those pics. Are you using a pick? I'm using a small flathead and it's not pushing the notch outward, atleast on one side. Ridiculous how hard of a time I'm having with this pos. I'll keep trying
Old 07-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
jr_ss
Post Whore!

That was just a precision flathead screwdriver. It can be a bit of a pain. Try pushing on the metal piece vertically on a counter top or something similar, while pushing the tabs out. You may have to get one tab started, then work on the other one.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
jame5x
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
That was just a precision flathead screwdriver. It can be a bit of a pain. Try pushing on the metal piece vertically on a counter top or something similar, while pushing the tabs out. You may have to get one tab started, then work on the other one.
Got tired of trying to get the second notch to click so I just broke the plastic that surrounds the socket with some pliers. fuckit